Subafreak

I like what your doin here,

zzzzzz

whats the finished specs from stock? like

overall lift?

wheelbase over stock ?

what tranny you runnin?

any Transfercase?

also what did you like about the wagon and what are you going to change on this sedan ??

axles

which ones STI? and could you put a mike or caliper on one and tell me the diameter of shaft at midpoint, thank You

DSC00274.jpg

Edited by Scott in Bellingham
detail

Lol, same chick Paul. We're on and off but she never passes up a chance to do some fabricating.

Scott. I,m not sure about overall hight (I should remember to measure these things befor i start) I know the lift blocks are about 6 1/2 inches with another 1" in the struts. I will measure the wheel base after we get it all together again.

This will basicly be the same drivetrain as the wagon. Will be using a subaru 5speed with welded center diff and a sammy T-case. Will be getting a reduction T-case from RockyRoad just havnt decided on what reduction to go with yet. With the 33" and the stock t-case it's on road manners were very good but it could still use a bit in the low range department. So with moving up to the 35"s i think im gonna go with the super crawler reduction gears, just hoping it doesnt rev to high on the highway.

One thing that was troublesome on the wagon was the T-case position, it just hung to low. So that will be getting moved up into the body as far as we can.

We will also be changing the front suspension and lift around. Whats in the wagon works and has proved to be very solid, but it's alot of metal and makes servicing the front diff imposible and makes a mess when you change the oil. Also we will be putting another R-180 diff in the front and changing the spindals to SVX ones, so at least the brakes will match a little better and we can have the same wheel bolt pattern front and rear. And the longer SVX axles should allow us to push the front track a little wider and help increase the turning radius with out the tires hitting.

Will also be using STI rear struts in the front for longer travel, not so much for extension but a bit more compression with out hitting the bump stops. Traveling at speed down a potholed road in the wagon ussualy led to bottoming out the front suspension.

As for those front axles, the top one is the STI axle and i will get some specs for ya next time im in the shop.

• 1 year later...
Cool! Kind of like old subarus that had the brakes on the transmission side rather than in the hubs.

Pretty much the same idea yeah. It was pretty cheap and now I know why, I gotta modify a little just to make it work the way it is supposed to. :/

This time around I built the t-case brakets right into the subframe of the car with extra rienforcments. The t-case mounts are old jeep control arms, figure there good enough to hold a front end in they should work for a t-case. I still gotta tie em together with a wrap around skid plate support so it shouldn't be going any where.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Favorite weapon: saws all.

ecf01594.jpg

Finally got around to cutting this side out since I finally got a set of 35s for it.

Pretending it's at new ride hight.

0d45a219.jpg

Got a killer deal on these off good old craigslist.

Good motivation to get my rump roast in gear and start working on the frontend.

aa31c416.jpg

First off, that thing looks baddass.

But I have a couple of questions:

*Does welding stuff to the struts mess with the gasses inside the strut by heating them up?

*The final pic shows your axle angle to be sooooooper downward. Is that max flex, or are they expected to flex more?

Thanks. :)

To answer the questions: I'm sure the welding on the struts isn't great for them but they've been working great the whole time they were on the wagon and there not leaking by yet, not externally anyway. Lol.

Figure when they do get really bad we will come up with a more permanent serviceable solution.

As for the rear axle position, the suspension is not settled in the picture I had just set it down from being in the air. So it will sit a bit more level than that. You can check back on the monsterwagon thread to see how this set up works off-road. Nothing really different in the rear suspension. It's the frontend that's gonna be getting a makeover.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Oh yeah, I almost forgot I was working on a lifted Subaru.

Dragged this thing outta the weeds tonight and got at it again. I'm at a point where this is my new priority so hopefully we will be seeing some serious progress in a timely manner.

Tonight I worked on setting up the t-case e-brake and getting some driveshafts in it so I can figure out all my clearances and start getting a floor back in it befor any creatures try to move in.

The temporary main shaft in place.

2226CBDE-2FE1-4056-9AC6-5AB0A000A573-4751-000008CC66ABA0EA.jpg

A few of the rear shaft and e-brake set up.

9E99AAE2-7227-49AA-9BBD-0963B9C63116-4751-000008CC5F838968.jpg

D5D14B27-30DB-4982-AB74-A5496DC7B16B-4751-000008CC58227757.jpg

CE0CDB68-4EF0-423C-9496-09464029B6C6-4751-000008CC50C5C311.jpg

F6BD5547-AB1B-4EDC-AEC0-E3F5EE25DBB8-4751-000008CC491B466C.jpg

Thats all I got for tonight. Stay tuned.