Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Converting 3spd to 5spd, Possible?

Title says it all. On a 94' Loyale I know for a fact that they came standard with Manual Trannys. Unfortunatly for me the original owner was a older woman who wanted a 3 spd auto.

I was curious if it was anyway possible to convert over to a 5spd. Is there any websites with detailed info on how to run a clutch pedal, install stick shift, and I figure I have to keep the Auto Shift on the fly 4x4 since I noticed some manuals have the push button instead of another stick.

SO I was wondering how difficult this could be?

Seems your best bet is to get a cheap junker with all the parts you need. I've got over a dozen Loyale 4WD wagons in my field, some auto and some with 5 speed. All ran fine when taken off the road, just rusted out so bad they couldn't be driven any further. I'm in Central New York State, and usually what happens with the Loyales is the rear spring towers rusts out, the spring comes through inside the car - and it's all over.

there was some wiring issue with mine, due to that fact i wanted to use cruise control. I have one push button switch that i can use to disable the starter, and engage the CC...and ive also had to make the computer think its in drive all the time to i can use CC. i dont know about the wiring on an 89 tho...something similar i bet. And yes, everything will physically bolt up.

if the trans comes with the mechanism, get all the vac lines and wires that will come with it.

i think you could find away to use the at's vac source if youre creative

not only that, you have to bypass the neatral safety, its in the console, jump a wire. i forgot which wires, but i picked a wire and jumped the other s one by one, the prndl on the dash would lite up whatever, until i jumped one till the key turned over

you will also have to wire up the reverswe light