Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 OBW. About once a week the left side turn signals don't flash; I hear the rapid clicking typically associated with a burned-out bulb, but the bulbs work and as best as I can determine are OE. Returning the turn signal stalk to neutral then back to left inevitably makes the system work. This never happens trying to signal a turn to the right. What is the most likely explanation for this problem? Bulbs, sockets, flasher relay, or turn signal stalk?

2000 OBW. About once a week the left side turn signals don't flash; I hear the rapid clicking typically associated with a burned-out bulb, but the bulbs work and as best as I can determine are OE. Returning the turn signal stalk to neutral then back to left inevitably makes the system work. This never happens trying to signal a turn to the right. What is the most likely explanation for this problem? Bulbs, sockets, flasher relay, or turn signal stalk?

turn signal stalk.

about $90 bucks new from dealer.

Good news is that 2000+ models you do not have to remove the steering wheel. the unit just plugs into the side of the column. remove the cover, and it's 4 screws and a few minutes to change out.

I agree with you that rapid bulb flashing indicates a bad bulb, or sometimes the bulb is not bad, but not making good contact in the bulb socket. Also, could be that the bulb filament is bad, but sometimes makes connection to light properly. Figure out which bulb is acting up, then replace the bulb, and see if that fixes the problem. If you can't figure out if it is front or back bulb, then replace both bulbs. When doing so, look closely at the bulb socket(s) and wiring for any corrosion or loose wiring.

I would give it a high probability that changing a bulb will fix your problem!

I have to agree with Rooster. Better to buy $2 bulb than a $90 stalk just to find out that it's the bulb in the first place. At least if it isn't the bulb in the end, you'll have a spare for when one does burn out. No wasted money.

I'd bet on a bulb. Check both front and back.