Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dealer Price On Half Shafts Ea81(UPDATE)

I called my local Subaru dealer to ask him if they can order me "NEW" half shafts for my 84 wagon 4x4... He tells me yes but they are "REMANS" . He continued to tell me that my subie is to old that is why I cant get new half shafts...

IS THIS TRUE.. CAN I GET NEW HALF SHAFTS MADE BY SUBARU OEM someplace????

He gave me a price for a REAN at 139 bucks...

Thanks All Joe

2/13/04 Well I see someone on ebay has GCK NEW halfshafts for our subies... price 89.00 a pair and 27.00 shipping cost.. So that comes to 58 bucks for one....

Turns out that ADVANCE AND AUTO ZONE SELL THE SAME ONES and as you guys stated life time warranty..

ADVANCE prices.....

NEW GCK FRONT 65.00 special order

New GCK REAR 80.00 special order

Also REMANS made by Car Comp Tech are the same price

both have lift time warranty

AUTO ZONE PRICES.....

New GCK front 89.99 special order

New GCK rear 89.99 special arder

Remans made by Car Comp Tech...

front 59.99

rear 79.99

Again life time warranty on both also core charge 25.00 front and 30.00 rear

I get mine from Autozone and they have a lifetime warranty. So when they get nuked I can go get another for free. Naturally even under the current conditions: harsh angle from 2 in. suspension lift, 160Hp increase over stock, oversize tires, and a lead foot on and off road, I have yet to break one. I suppose either way I win. $69 front and $79 rear.

i use autozone now. i've tried cvaxles.com. good axles for everyone but me. i guess i got the 3 f'ed up ones. a couple weren't sealed properly so they leaked grease. and the other one just went.

but autozone won't take back the axles i have right now for my lifetime warranty. something about i grenaded half of the lower cup away. oops... normally they take them back no problem. but i abused them horribly.

I had a bad experience once with a local parts store... Not a cain store called "BIG A" parts.. The axels only lasted about 8 months..... 55 bucks is a good deal.... I checked chef tims web site he suggested and they are like 98 bucks...

I guess the 98 dollar ones are not new....

Any other stores or web sites you guys suggest????

And thanks all for the replys .... Joe in Pa

haven't taken it off the car yet to actually try. but it wasn't the upper cup that blew to kingdom come. it was the side with the spindle on it. literally half of it is missing. i think i'll just tell them i was cruising down the road and boom. leave out the 4 wheeling part and hide my car so that they don't see it. cause if i remember correctly the warranty is not for abuse. but i would never abuse a vehicle... :D not me anyways...