Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

81 Brat A/C condensor identification?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Don_Quixpunch

Don_Quixpunch

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:15 PM

So I'm wanting to rip the A/C outta my 81 Brat. And I have it on good authority that it's worth saving and passing on. My guess is that somebody who wants it would really want to know if it works.

I have no idea if it still works or not. It's got refrigerant still, but no belt. I went shopping for a belt, but it seems there are two possible condensers and they use different belts. I checked for a name, but it wasn't Nippondenso or Hitachi. Does anybody know where I can find something like pictures, identifying marks, or even pulley sizes so I can nail down which belt I need?

Also, if anybody is interested in having it, as soon as I know if it works or not, I'm going to tear the whole thing out and list it here.

#2 The Beast I Drive

The Beast I Drive

CALL ME, (509) 391-5903

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
  • Toppenish, WA

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:45 PM

Use the string measuring method, get a piece of string and wrap it around where the belt will go, measure that, and that's the size belt you need.

Since it's an 81 brat, the compressor could be a York unit. Is it a large, kinda square looking unit with lines coming out the top? If so it's a York.

-Bill

#3 Don_Quixpunch

Don_Quixpunch

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:12 AM

Dhoh. Why didn't I think of that? It is fairly large and squarish. I'll measure anyway. Thanks for the input.

#4 Jonv23

Jonv23

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Muskegon MI

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:11 PM

like this?

If so, it's a mini york 206.

Hope that helps

Posted Image

#5 Don_Quixpunch

Don_Quixpunch

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:55 PM

My compressor is the same shape and size, but the hoses connect to the back. But I measured around the pulleys, and I'll just buy the 45 inch belt. That should tell me which compressor I have too.

#6 biffanyus

biffanyus

79 Brat

• Members
  • 990 posts
  • West Palm Beach, FL

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:40 PM

If it will fit in my 79 brat(if all the a/c parts are compatible from an 81 with a 79 brat) I will love to have the parts. Is your 81 a dl with 1.6l or a gl with a 1.8l engine???

#7 Don_Quixpunch

Don_Quixpunch

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:57 PM

My 81 is a GL and has a 1.8.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users