Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What's so 'Limited' about this Outback Limited?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dave833

dave833

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • SLC, Utah

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:14 PM

So I came across this online ad for a '97 Legacy Outback Limited, but it looks suspiciously like just a standard Outback to me.

http://www.ksl.com/i...view&ad=2276565

There's not a single option here that I can see that puts it in the 'Limited' category-- no special wheels, no leather, no heated seats or windshield, no 'limited' badges, no sunroof(s). In fact, it's identical in every way to the '96 NON-limited Outback I had, except for the hood scoop, which no '96's had anyway but were standard on all '97 Outbacks.

So I contacted the owner and politely pointed out that his ad may be in error, and after making a few disparaging remarks about my (lack of) intelligence, he stated that the title AND the registration both stated that it was a 'Limited'.

So am I missing something here? Is there some kind of 'stealth' Outback Limited out there that looks just like a regular Outback but is called a 'limited' (thus justifying an increase in asking price?)

I'm not interested in the car. The price is too high, and I have a REAL '98 Outback Limited that I'm perfectly happy with- I'm just curious.

#2 badjer

badjer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • georgia

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:22 PM

a wise one once guided me... cars101.com.

I cannot see much of a difference in the 97s between an outback with some options and an outback limited.. although the gold badge appears important ;)

badjer

#3 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,351 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:40 PM

it's not a limited. a 97 limited has leather seats and a power antenna, as you probably know.

he was just trying to jack up the price and justify it.

i wonder what he spent on the "professionally installed" new engine?

#4 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,259 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:51 PM

Not a limited

Limited model would have:

Leather interior w/heated seats

Wood grain console

Power antenna (located at the rear of car)

Body colored side view mirrors

Gold accent 5 spoke wheels

And likely a sunroof (although I have seen limited models without sunroof)

#5 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,677 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:32 PM

I think at time of creating a title and registration at the license bureau, the clerk has asked me what model my car was, and my answer became what was printed on the title. I gotta think that is what has happened here. I have a 98 OBW Limited, and a 99 OBW standard edition. No question about it, the car pictured is precisely the standard version. Way over priced in my opinion.

#6 dave833

dave833

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • SLC, Utah

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:38 PM

My '98 OB Limited doesn't have a sunroof. Funny thing is, I've owned it for a year next month and didn't even notice the lack of sunroof til last week!

I'm wondering too where he had the engine 'professionally installed' and whether it's a new engine or a 20k mile Japanese job. Aside from representing this OB as a 'Limited' when it's not, he's using the KBB Excellent RETAIL price to try and justify a $4900 asking price rather than the KBB Private Party value which is $4250.

The ad was originally posted a week ago. After the seller called me 'stupid' for telling him it wasn't a Limited, I emailed him back and told him it was poor way to treat a potential buyer. He answered me by telling me it was 'sold' and he knew I wasn't interested anyway. (Clearly it's not since the ad reappeared yesterday) Just fair warning to anyone in Utah that might be interested in this car!

#7 subaru360

subaru360

has no catchy title

• Members
  • 1,282 posts
  • Fleetwood, PA

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:40 PM

Not a limited.

Insane asking price. It's worth about $2000 with that mileage, I don't care if it has a new engine.

$4900 :rolleyes:

#8 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,602 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:18 PM

And likely a sunroof (although I have seen limited models without sunroof)

HOLD IT!

Blu is supposed to have a sunroof?

I've been cheated!

#9 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,351 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:41 PM

www.cars101.com makes no mention of sunroof for the 97 limited, standard or optional.

the dual sunroofs was a limited feature in 99, maybe 98.

#10 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,677 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:37 PM

My '98 OB Limited doesn't have a sunroof. Funny thing is, I've owned it for a year next month and didn't even notice the lack of sunroof til last week!

I'm wondering too where he had the engine 'professionally installed' and whether it's a new engine or a 20k mile Japanese job. Aside from representing this OB as a 'Limited' when it's not, he's using the KBB Excellent RETAIL price to try and justify a $4900 asking price rather than the KBB Private Party value which is $4250.

The ad was originally posted a week ago. After the seller called me 'stupid' for telling him it wasn't a Limited, I emailed him back and told him it was poor way to treat a potential buyer. He answered me by telling me it was 'sold' and he knew I wasn't interested anyway. (Clearly it's not since the ad reappeared yesterday) Just fair warning to anyone in Utah that might be interested in this car!

My 98 OBW Limited doesn't have the sun roof. Lots of other Limiteds don't have the sun roof either. So don't feel left out, prolly some additional option.

#11 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,677 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:41 PM

Pretty obvious that the owner is a deceptive jackass, and nothing that he says or represents on his car is believeable. Best to stay away from anything he sells now or in the future.

#12 Born_a_Brat

Born_a_Brat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Placerville

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:53 AM

My 99 Limited Outback has no sunroof...

#13 newsoobdude

newsoobdude

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 642 posts
  • helL A/ NorCal Foothills

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:27 AM

I know this is an old post but I didn't resurrect it so.... The Limiteds that came with the dual sunroofs were the autocrapics only and it was an option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users