Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's so 'Limited' about this Outback Limited?

So I came across this online ad for a '97 Legacy Outback Limited, but it looks suspiciously like just a standard Outback to me.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=0&nid=443&tab=list/view&ad=2276565

There's not a single option here that I can see that puts it in the 'Limited' category-- no special wheels, no leather, no heated seats or windshield, no 'limited' badges, no sunroof(s). In fact, it's identical in every way to the '96 NON-limited Outback I had, except for the hood scoop, which no '96's had anyway but were standard on all '97 Outbacks.

So I contacted the owner and politely pointed out that his ad may be in error, and after making a few disparaging remarks about my (lack of) intelligence, he stated that the title AND the registration both stated that it was a 'Limited'.

So am I missing something here? Is there some kind of 'stealth' Outback Limited out there that looks just like a regular Outback but is called a 'limited' (thus justifying an increase in asking price?)

I'm not interested in the car. The price is too high, and I have a REAL '98 Outback Limited that I'm perfectly happy with- I'm just curious.

Not a limited

Limited model would have:

Leather interior w/heated seats

Wood grain console

Power antenna (located at the rear of car)

Body colored side view mirrors

Gold accent 5 spoke wheels

And likely a sunroof (although I have seen limited models without sunroof)

I think at time of creating a title and registration at the license bureau, the clerk has asked me what model my car was, and my answer became what was printed on the title. I gotta think that is what has happened here. I have a 98 OBW Limited, and a 99 OBW standard edition. No question about it, the car pictured is precisely the standard version. Way over priced in my opinion.

My '98 OB Limited doesn't have a sunroof. Funny thing is, I've owned it for a year next month and didn't even notice the lack of sunroof til last week!

I'm wondering too where he had the engine 'professionally installed' and whether it's a new engine or a 20k mile Japanese job. Aside from representing this OB as a 'Limited' when it's not, he's using the KBB Excellent RETAIL price to try and justify a $4900 asking price rather than the KBB Private Party value which is $4250.

The ad was originally posted a week ago. After the seller called me 'stupid' for telling him it wasn't a Limited, I emailed him back and told him it was poor way to treat a potential buyer. He answered me by telling me it was 'sold' and he knew I wasn't interested anyway. (Clearly it's not since the ad reappeared yesterday) Just fair warning to anyone in Utah that might be interested in this car!

My '98 OB Limited doesn't have a sunroof. Funny thing is, I've owned it for a year next month and didn't even notice the lack of sunroof til last week!

I'm wondering too where he had the engine 'professionally installed' and whether it's a new engine or a 20k mile Japanese job. Aside from representing this OB as a 'Limited' when it's not, he's using the KBB Excellent RETAIL price to try and justify a $4900 asking price rather than the KBB Private Party value which is $4250.

The ad was originally posted a week ago. After the seller called me 'stupid' for telling him it wasn't a Limited, I emailed him back and told him it was poor way to treat a potential buyer. He answered me by telling me it was 'sold' and he knew I wasn't interested anyway. (Clearly it's not since the ad reappeared yesterday) Just fair warning to anyone in Utah that might be interested in this car!

My 98 OBW Limited doesn't have the sun roof. Lots of other Limiteds don't have the sun roof either. So don't feel left out, prolly some additional option.

Pretty obvious that the owner is a deceptive jackass, and nothing that he says or represents on his car is believeable. Best to stay away from anything he sells now or in the future.

• 4 months later...