Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Clutch making chirping noises?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,872 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:35 PM

So my clutch is making noises which sound almost identical to tyres chirping. It does it when taking off, changing into second and sometimes into third. Also it doesn't do it if I don't rev when letting out the clutch. I've had this for a while now and just recently change the engine over for one with less miles on it. I found the old engines pressure plate and flywheel had some strange markings and was slightly dished out. So I used the new engines flywheel and pressure plate along with the old friction disc (as it looked in good condition and I've got a 5sp swap in my EA81 so I needed the EA82 friction disc and this was the only one I had). But it is still doing it.
There was no oil in there. The clutch grips great still. Can be in 4th gear going 60kph, push clutch in, rev to 5k and drop and it jerks and grips right away.
So I'm confused..
Problem with it, is it sounds like I'm driving like an idiot everywhere and I'm worried the cops are gonna pull me over for hoon driving soon.
Any ideas what the problem might be caused by? And a fix without swapping the clutch?

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,637 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:21 PM

Throwout bearing.

#3 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:29 PM

Yeah - if you didn't change the TO I would also suspect that.

What is "hoon driving"?!?

Should I not be calling someone a hoon? :lol:

GD

#4 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,872 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:53 AM

Not sure if the US uses the term Hoon.... it means driving like a d***h*** doing burnouts and spinning the wheels all the time.

Interesting... So you day the throwout bearing could make a sound almost the same as a tyre spinning?
If it is that... damn.... I really don't want to pull the engine out again. I just want to sell the freakin car.

#5 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,637 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:08 AM

Not sure if the US uses the term Hoon.... it means driving like a d***h*** doing burnouts and spinning the wheels all the time.

Interesting... So you day the throwout bearing could make a sound almost the same as a tyre spinning?
If it is that... damn.... I really don't want to pull the engine out again. I just want to sell the freakin car.

You can live with it for quite a long time sometimes

nipper

#6 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,505 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:40 AM

Sometimes putting a "return" spring on the clutch fork will help. There is usually even a tab on the clutch fork with a little hole in it just for such a spring.

but yeah......throw out bearing.

#7 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,872 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:31 AM

Spring stopped some of it... hopefully it doesnt get any worse..

#8 DBG

DBG

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Washoe Valley

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:26 AM

Heh. I "accidentally" filled mine with mud and then let it rust for a year. Yeah, throwout bearing, possibly clutch cable, possibly clutch fork... Mine's kinda musical and I will be sad when it fails. It's had a year + since that happened, and does not really seem to care much, though. Dropping the clutch makes the sound a little shorter, at the risk of glazing....

#9 Nug

Nug

Lurker/off-topic poster

• Members
  • 1,966 posts
  • West Point

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:30 AM

My friends in NJ use the term "hoonery", FWIW.

#10 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,872 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:23 AM

Just to update... I've changed the throwout bearing for a brand new one. Cleaned up the shaft it slides on, greased, new retaining clips, etc.. And it still makes the noise.

So I've changed the friction plate. And the throwout bearing. And put a return spring on the lever. Still getting the same noise.. I'm selling the car now so I don't know if I'll ever find out what was causing it. But I thought it might be a good idea to update on this thread that the throwout bearing wasn't causing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users