Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Bumper Rubber/Plastic Restoration Help Needed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rust

Rust

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • The Sticks

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:54 PM

Trying to spruce up my 86 Brat. Any ideas/tips to restore the non-metal parts of the bumpers. The faded grey of the rear bumper end caps, and the front bumper need help. Any ideas of paint or cleaning products that will restore them back to black? any ideas appreciated, thanxs.

#2 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 6,730 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:22 PM

Try this http://www.mothers.c...ucts/06108.html

I always use this on my wagon, works awesome! You can get it at Wal-mart, Farm&Fleet, Checker, CarQuest ect...

I've also used this to restore faded window cranks and anything faded on the interior.

-Tom

#3 2.5_IMP

2.5_IMP

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • CP, MD

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:55 PM

+1 on the Back to Black. The Mother's Protectant works great to maintain the parts you have used Back to Black on. Meguiar's also makes some great products for plastic/rubber restoration and maintenance.

#4 ettev

ettev

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • Pottsville, PA

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:57 AM

http://www.duplicolo...cts/bumper.html

#5 backwoodsboy

backwoodsboy

vintagesubaruparts

• Members
  • 1,058 posts
  • upstate NY, in the woods

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:50 AM

Something Ive had good luck with is a plain old heat gun.

If you have a steady hand... you can get the surface of the plastic just uniformly hot enough that it turns back to the "new" factory color.

#6 Rust

Rust

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • The Sticks

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:06 PM

Thanxs for the tips. I'll give the proctucts suggested a try. I also have a decent set of chrome bumbers from an 83 wagon that I might try to modify to fit the brat.

#7 lkindred

lkindred

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Portland

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:29 PM

floortom put a plastic bumper type of paint not only on the bumpers but also the subie mud flaps on my 86 Hatch - they turned out real nice - look like brand new. If you want to know what he used PM him.

Lynn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users