Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transplanting Aftermarket Fuel tank

MaddCelt

Here is both an unusual situation and question.

The situation is this. I bought a 81 Brat for $200 that I use to get back and forth to work. It's in rough shape but I love driving it.

Shortly after I got it I found that there is a leak in the fuel tank somewhere in the upper part of the tank. Here soon I'll be dropping the tank to see if it can be repaired. If it cannot that leaves me with a problem.

Tanks are near impossible to find.

So this has lead to the idea of finding a tank from something else and mounting it in the back. I don't plan on using the jump seats so I have a perfect spot for it with frame mounted bolting spots.

Has anyone else had the same situation or done what I have in mind?

Where is Sanders at ? I think you would be able to get a tank from somebody on the forums here. A Wagon, sedan, coupe or brat tank will work just not a hatchback. Must also be from a 4wd car. Post a wanted ad in the marketplace.

If my Brat was in better shape I would be less likely to put the tank in the back but this poor thing is a rolling rust bucket that is beyond help really.

I have located an 84 Wagon that the guy is asking $600 for. It runs and is in good shape. What rust there is can be cleaned up.

Cool. Are you going to part the brat out or fix the brat with the wagon or .... ?

That is a good question. Turns out that there is an issue with the head, either the gasket needs replaced or a cracked head but the owner isn't sure exactly what it is. He was told by the guy he bought it off of that the "head gasket seeps" He said it had over heating issues. It is sitting in a junk yard atm.

I'm thinking $600 is a bit steep for something not running. I got my Brat for $200 and I drove it home.

Opinions?