Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Xenon head lamp install, '98 Outback

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mr.radon

mr.radon

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • Seattle, WA

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:47 AM

Well I hate to admit it but after a coworker did this I had to do it to my Outback. I can't believe how much the lighting improved.

Bought a Xenon HID high/low kit from DDM. This is it laid out on my kitchen table.
Posted Image
Didn't look like much, and I thought the quality could be better, but for what I paid ($60) I was pretty pleased.

To mount the Bulb controllers I made two brackets and pop riveted these guys to them, which were bolted behind the head lamps with some M6 bolts.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Then there was the control box. This I mounted off the battery hold down post. Used some washers and a nut there.
Posted Image
This picture shows the Bulb controller mounted behind the head lamp assembly.
Posted Image
The end result was totally amazing as far as forward lighting.
Posted Image
I'd say there is about twice the light now. A very white light.:banana:

#2 Durania

Durania

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,113 posts
  • Crossville, TN

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:57 AM

Just going to warn you if you post those anywhere else, you WILL get flamed.

Now that you have them installed, you need to adjust them properly if you haven't already. They will need to be aimed quite a bit downward. You will also probably be getting bright-lighted by people too.

I had HIDs in my car for two weeks and the people flashing their high beams got really annoying so I sent them back. Not to mention that I had a non-functioning high beam.

I have heard good things about DDM and are good about standing by their product.

#3 mr.radon

mr.radon

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • Seattle, WA

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:09 AM

I have a headlamp alignment tool and made sure they were pointed correctly. Then checked my work by lighting up a warehouse wall.

I figured I'd get flamed, but the light output is so much better. I couldn't care less about the looks, its all about being able to see on those dark forest service roads. Hence the PIAA 520 fog lamps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users