Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Xenon head lamp install, '98 Outback

Well I hate to admit it but after a coworker did this I had to do it to my Outback. I can't believe how much the lighting improved.

Bought a Xenon HID high/low kit from DDM. This is it laid out on my kitchen table.

IMGP1761.jpg

Didn't look like much, and I thought the quality could be better, but for what I paid ($60) I was pretty pleased.

To mount the Bulb controllers I made two brackets and pop riveted these guys to them, which were bolted behind the head lamps with some M6 bolts.

IMGP1762.jpg

IMGP1763.jpg

Then there was the control box. This I mounted off the battery hold down post. Used some washers and a nut there.

IMGP1764.jpg

This picture shows the Bulb controller mounted behind the head lamp assembly.

IMGP1765.jpg

The end result was totally amazing as far as forward lighting.

IMGP1766.jpg

I'd say there is about twice the light now. A very white light.:banana:

Just going to warn you if you post those anywhere else, you WILL get flamed.

Now that you have them installed, you need to adjust them properly if you haven't already. They will need to be aimed quite a bit downward. You will also probably be getting bright-lighted by people too.

I had HIDs in my car for two weeks and the people flashing their high beams got really annoying so I sent them back. Not to mention that I had a non-functioning high beam.

I have heard good things about DDM and are good about standing by their product.

I have a headlamp alignment tool and made sure they were pointed correctly. Then checked my work by lighting up a warehouse wall.

I figured I'd get flamed, but the light output is so much better. I couldn't care less about the looks, its all about being able to see on those dark forest service roads. Hence the PIAA 520 fog lamps.