Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trans compatibility 99 OB to 01 FOR

Title states it all.

I have a 2001 Forrester with a bad trans (well, noisy grinding in front diff) so I am looking to swap it out.

I have a trans on the floor that is for a 99 Outback wagon (should be.....bought it from a wrecker then never needed.)

#s are definatley different, but physically they are the same w/same connectors.

I have verified that both models to have a 4.44 final drive.

Anyone know of any reason why these two trans will not interchange?

Speak now or forever hold your gearshift.

Need to replace this trans:

01 Forrester TZ1A3 ZC2AA

Possibly with this trans:

Purchased to fit 99 Leg. Outback wagon, but actually unkown the excact car it's out of:rolleyes::confused:

TZ1A2 ZJEBA...........

Never seen the JEBA as the last 4 digits before.

Insights? Anyone got Hollander or Subaru interchange lookup capability?

Need to replace this trans:

01 Forrester TZ1A3 ZC2AA

TZ1A2 ZJEBA...........

Never seen the JEBA as the last 4 digits before.

JEBA was / is a one year transitional trans for the 99 outback. technically it is a phase 2 trans, but for some reason they had an odd code number for it. the following year the trans codes changed to the ones you are more familiar with... TZ1A4Z...... if the final drives match, and the electrical connectors match, then i would bet it works.

the 99 outback trans was different from the 98 because it had more speed? sensors and therefore more wires in the connector. i'm not sure when forester went phase 2.

i guess there is a small chance that the 99 obw had some of the phase 2 stuff but not all and that might give you headaches, but i don't know how you would ever know unless you tried it out.

i do know that the 00 - 01 legacy and impreza auto trans are the same.

The 99/00 OBW auto trannies are prone to develop severe delayed forward engagement, when shifting from R to D, that can be fixed with a can of Trans-X additive to the ATF. Just thought you should be aware of this.

Any time I swap trans for a customer, I flush it and fill with high quality ATF and a can of Trans-x. Also on post-99 trans I install a new spin on filter as well.

Any time I swap trans for a customer, I flush it and fill with high quality ATF and a can of Trans-x. Also on post-99 trans I install a new spin on filter as well.

You are doing all the right things. Too bad you are in Oregon, and I am in Indianapolis. If you were closer, I would want you to work on my Subies.