Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Buck Fifty Brat" Build

Fenix747

just read up about the ea82 doj's, i see what you mean.

so it seems that rear ea81 axles with ea82 doj's swapped in, plus welded diff equals the best way to wheel a stockish brat eh? sounds like i need to take a trip to toppenish :lol:

oh and another thing, my buddy/roommate just joined this board and is looking to lift his 05 rs. Rob said you might be looking for a rig to use to make lifts for new gen subies. He is more than willing of course to let you do so, i also have a 97 obs :brow:

-Andy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so i think i got everything rigged up right in the engine bay :banana:

Pretty much pulled every line that seemed unneeded. So the only things i left plugged in are the fuel line, the line from the distributor to the front of the carb, the two vacuum lines (at least i think they are vacuum lines) on each side of the engine got plugged into the air cleaner, and the two lines off the valve covers both got plugged into the pcv valve. Seems to run better than previously so i call it good :grin:

here is a somewhat "before" picture of the engine bay with the hitachi minus air cleaner

0111002149.jpg

and here are present pictures with the weber! look at all this extra space to do activities :banana:

0405001629.jpg

here you can see the pcv and vacuum stuff i did

0405001630.jpg

0405001630a.jpg

next tasks on the list is mount for shovel and organization for off road equipment. and i guess i should fix that oil leak :rolleyes:

just for fun i found a picture of when i got REALLY stuck last week. all i had was a scissor jack and hands to dig her out.

0401001532.jpg

fun stuff!

-Andy

Made a mount for my full size shovel finally. I wanted to use those quick fist rubber clamps but i couldnt find any locally. But a little trip to ace and 5 bucks later it works all the same :grin:

used two of those flat rubber bungee cords and a bolt through the side in the bed, the rest speaks for itself in the pics

0406001518a.jpg

0406001518.jpg

0406001517.jpg

now i will never leave it behind again :rolleyes:

hopefully i wont need it later today when i go up to manastash ridge for a little fun

-Andy

So i did have to use the shovel after all, but it wasnt for me :lol:

and here is another

Some pretty good wheelin for just an hour or two, plan to do more on thursday, anyone else wanna come?

-Andy

Edited by Fenix747

Well ive been out to the hills three times this last week and havent been stopped yet :banana:

but i also havent been able to head to tougher trails because of the snow and my buddy can make it through.

today i was kinda board so i did some preventative maintenance (i.e. got ready for deeper water)

0411001423a.jpg

stripped the interior to clean it up a bit and ditch the carpet so if i do get wet inside its already gone. eventually i will either put diamond plate down or truck bed liner.

also made my seat a little nicer

0411001826.jpg

easier to clean this way and covers up the rips. it will be all orange after i buy more tape :grin:

Ive seen a nice looking red ea82ish wagon with a fabbed up bumper the last few times i went up manastash road. anyone from on here?

-Andy

Hey man, I passed you in town on Thursday, I was in the blue Toyota on my way to Mt. Vernon. Your rig's lookin pretty good.

-Bill

I remember what looked like a newer blue yota with a skid plate up front, and the driver yelled something. That you? :lol:

Thanks, found a little mud up manastash by the observatory.

-Andy

0411001826.jpg

give that about a month and you'll wish you never did that.............

Jeff

Tape glue melts, allowing the tape to shift around slightly, resulting in you getting tape glue all over your clothes.

I hate to tell you, but that is going to wind up being a nasty mess eventually.

Dan

Ok with the exception of some things duck tape does not fix everything. You would of been miles ahead with a seat cover.

Psssshhhh, slap a seatcover on both and call it good.

That seat will probably out last the Brat now :rolleyes:

Na, I was driving a '85 with a straight axle and black wheels, small lift and a roll bar. I flipped the peace sign :banana:

-Bill

oh yea i remember now, i think i waved back. ive had a lot of people waving and yelling since i got it dirty :rolleyes:

and as far as the duct tape seats, the plan is to get new seats eventually so its just a temp fix. if i find some seat covers i will throw those on. its just a wheeler rig so as long as i can sit on it i dont care much :lol:

oh and Bill, you still wanna weld my diff? Or at least go hit some local trails sometime?

Anyone wanna hit some trails on the eastside?

-Andy

Well i wont be needing a welded diff for a bit, more like a new transmission :rolleyes:

Not that anything is broken, but the stock trans is just giving me too many headaches. Seems to be slipping in all gears now when i get on the gas, and its always been hard to shift, especially getting into reverse :mad:.

Its time for a 5 speed id say, was going to go that way eventually anyway but it just got bumped up on the to do list.

Hopefuly ill get a new job soon, or if anyone wants to buy some lead let me know :brow: i got my grandpas sailboat to unload and sell a lot of lead ballast so that should bring in some cash. Then ill be able to affoard a trans swap, lift, tires and maybe some other goodies to get me goin again :banana:

but till then ill lay off on the wheelin, i need to keep it in ok shape to get around town

i went out last night again and managed to get water inside the cab and not get stuck :lol:

-Andy

Well i wont be needing a welded diff for a bit, more like a new transmission :rolleyes:

Not that anything is broken, but the stock trans is just giving me too many headaches. Seems to be slipping in all gears now when i get on the gas, and its always been hard to shift, especially getting into reverse :mad:.

Its time for a 5 speed id say, was going to go that way eventually anyway but it just got bumped up on the to do list.

Twiddle with your clutch cable.

Mine would slowly back off for no apparent reason.

Just readjust it until you can get it into gear, or the slipping stops, whatever

the problem may be.

Hopefuly ill get a new job soon, or if anyone wants to buy some lead let me know :brow: i got my grandpas sailboat to unload and sell a lot of lead ballast so that should bring in some cash. Then ill be able to affoard a trans swap, lift, tires and maybe some other goodies to get me goin again :banana:

but till then ill lay off on the wheelin, i need to keep it in ok shape to get around town

i went out last night again and managed to get water inside the cab and not get stuck :lol:

-Andy

Good job ;)

And a trans swap is fairly easy, esp with Bill and Jerry (Bratsrus) nearby.

Twitch

Twiddle with your clutch cable.

Mine would slowly back off for no apparent reason.

Just readjust it until you can get it into gear, or the slipping stops, whatever

the problem may be.

Good job ;)

And a trans swap is fairly easy, esp with Bill and Jerry (Bratsrus) nearby.

Twitch

yea ive adjusted the cable and it fixed the problem for a few days, then it came back and ive tried adjusting again with no luck. Ive done some searching around the forum and found hints toward just replacing the cable or do another clutch job.

Clutch job isnt worth it again for this trans, so ill swap to 5 speed. But in the mean time i might try a new cable and see if it helps. either way im swapping when i get the money :grin:

-Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Well besides havin a little fun offroad out by Bill's the other week not much has happened until tonight.

The other day on the way home from Leavenworth i had massive vibrations while accelerating (front axles are close to gone). And then i got pulled over for a brake light that when out, cop didnt even ask me for papers cuz the fumes of burning oil made him nauseous and he wanted to leave :lol: anyways

So tonight i replaced the brake light bulb and got to work taking off the axles. Being my first time taking off axles it took a few minutes for the first one, but the second was off in 5. Then i got out the BFH and separated the axle and the outer stub and but it back in. Now im RWD till i get some new axles.

I love how these older subies are so easy to keep running :grin:

-Andy

Haha yea should be fun, only down side is one wheel will be spinning most of the time instead of two :rolleyes:

Oh and ill probably come over thursday around 5 to chop up that wagon or get started on the next one.

-Andy

• 1 month later...

Little Update

So as some of you may know my brat has been down since the Brat Meet, cause is thought to be a bad distributor.

Havent been able to get much done, finished spring quarter and moved across town. But now i got time to get things going again. Taking a Welding class this summer so i should be able to get some stuff done like bumpers and a frame for these beauties

0623002226.jpg

Picked them up last week in seattle for a good price, just gotta build a frame and i figured a 4 point harness will do nicely.

So thats where she stands right now, hopefully up and running again soon. I dont know if it will be ready for the walker valley trip, if not i think a naches trip is in order :grin:

Oh and Bill, sorry i havent come down lately, but i am getting those axles done :banana:

0623001625.jpg

poor mans parts cleaner :cool:

Should have them re-booted friday when the parts store gets in more boots, so ill probably come down sunday or next week if your around. Ill get some more axles done for ya.

And if anyone else out there needs some axles re-booted or cleaned up let me know, i dont mind the mess :)

-Andy