Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Buck Fifty Brat" Build

Fenix747

She lives :banana: replaced the ignitor in the disty and fired right up (thanks for the tip jacob)

So now i have a spare distributor and a spare coil :grin:

Time to get back to work. Hope to get lifted, bumpers, roll bar, and jump seats put in before WCSS.

More updates to come as things move along

-Andy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PROGRESS :banana:

0718001430.jpg

0718001430a.jpg

0718001517.jpg

Got some stuff done at my uncles place. Used his scrap and did all of this without spending a dime :grin:

Ill make a thread about how i mounted the jump seats, worked out nicely. (Edit- here is the thread http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=114001 )

The bumper is made of 1/4 inch 3x3 angle and is no where near done, just road worthy. Still need to add supports to the stock tie downs and to the engine cross member, then incorporate a skid plate on the supports. Also need shackle mounts and hitch receiver. Eventually i might add a stinger :brow:

Tires and lift should be coming soon. Almost ready to hit the trails again :D

-Andy

Edited by Fenix747

Got to use the shop at school, mig with argon is much better than mig without argon :rolleyes:

So with the nice lincon i re-welded the bumper and added some supports to counter side pulls

0719002056.jpg

Tomorrow if i can i will be adding more goodies :grin:

-Andy

Added supports to the stock tie down points today. I think this bumper is pretty stout now :grin:

0722002116.jpg

0722002116a.jpg

Next i think i am going to order some shackle mounts from online to weld on. Skid plate will come after the lift so i dont have to re do it.

-Andy

Did some light wheelin yesterday. Headed up and over Colockum Pass to Wenatchee, then drove back to Ellensburg over Table Mountain. It was a nice loop with some great views. Though i must say Colockum Pass is the roughest back road i have EVER been on. Took two hours to go from pavement to pavement :rolleyes: but it was worth it at least once to say ive done it.

Couple pics

0723001407.jpg

0723001430.jpg

0723001433.jpg

Some Wildlife

0723001909.jpg

0723001915.jpg

Tomorrow will be some real wheelin though. Heading out with a jeep buddy to hit Crystal Ridge Trail http://nwjeepn.com/CrystalRidge.htm Should be interesting :grin:

If anyone else wants to come let me know tonight and we can meet up tomorrow.

-Andy

^^^ yea definitely

So as some of you saw i did some good wheelin the other day http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=943846#post943846

Only suffered minor trail damage in the rear, departure angle kinda sucks :rolleyes:. when i build my rear bumper im thinking it would be a good idea to run some sliders from the bumper back under to the diff area so i dont just rip off the bumper, or worse damage the gas tank.

Kind of like this set up

IMG_1330.jpg

good stuff obk25xt :headbang:

The only other issue was with the clutch. Still slips a bit but wasnt too bad until it got too hot, then i could barely keep going. but once it cooled down it was ok again. Guess i need to get on that five speed swap soon :rolleyes:

On the bright side i got a welded rear diff and installed it today. Hopefully will test it out in a week.

-Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been a long week but i finally got things running right.

I wanted to figure out what was going on with the clutch issue, after some research i figured it might be because i didnt resurface my flywheel last time i swap out the clutch. So i took out the flywheel and had it resurfaced, installed everything and then nothing. The Brat wouldnt move at all now, i could release the clutch in any gear from stand still and it would just keep idling. So i figure maybe it wasnt resurfaced right or something else went wrong. Took the trans off again measure things out and it was correct. So i put it all back together and still nothing. Took it apart again to check the clutch disk and if it was damaged at all. It was bent very slightly. So i picked up a new clutch, installed it, and presto works like it should. Almost works too well.

So after taking the trans off and on so many times i figured im pretty good at that now. Made a little video for fun and to help others out with transmission removal.

Ready for some wheelin at WCSS agian :banana:

-Andy

• 4 weeks later...

I do like the look of 12 inch lift with 32 mud terrains, but yes 6 is the way to go. We might even do one inch difference in the front between strut blocks and body blocks because im also switching to bills special beefed up ea82 control arms and ea82 axles. Im also hoping to recreate his special beefed up front end like so

09-02-09_1857.jpg

And we might be doing some beefing up on the rocker panels. Basically everything is getting beefy :slobber:

Eventually i might even grab bills 4.11 trans and do a yota 4.10 solid rear. Good thing i have a job now so i can dream big.

-Andy

• 4 months later...

Been a few months of slow progression but its finally back home!

0126111002.jpg

Re did the shift linkage with a dual shifter setup Bill made, now i can have hi/low front wheel drive!

0118111512.jpg

Here is a cool before-after shot to see how high 6in can be (27" tire size in both)

979376140_C7BYY-L.jpg

0126111003.jpg

Made a quick rear bumper too.

Still need to build a custom exhaust and connect some of the lift blocks for strength. And i still need to get a driveline in there. But after that she is ready to wheel :grin:

-Andy