Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 loyale ea82 ignition coil?

New to the soobies, i was thinking about doing some electrical upgrades to the ea82, I found an Accel coil online for $45,denso plug wires, and some kind of really cool voltage regulator, also K&N air filter, and ummm I really am having a hard time deciding on a cat back system, I really dont see it giving a 1.8L much more power, but who knows, maybe magna-flow, I want to go cheap, and I have heard them on a 1.8L before and the sound isnt too bad either. Any ideas ?:rolleyes:

If you are looking for more power...you're looking for a different motor :) The EA82 is no power house, and it never will be. Honestly, don't waste your money on the ignition stuff. I wouldn't run any other coil but factory on these cars. The best thing you can do ignition wise for more power...is a tune up to get it running it's best. Take the $45 you would spend for the Accel coil, and use that to buy cap, rotor, plugs, and wires. Really, do not even waste your money on plug wires that are not just factory replacements. As for exhaust, search around on youtube for sound clips till you find one you like. If your exhaust is in nice shape, I wouldn't replace it. Just change out the muffler for sound if you want it. You're not going to gain anything from a catback. I don't care what they claim for hp gains. I can level with you here. I can't leave anything alone, and every car I have usually gets modified some how. But I've owned 6 EA82 cars, the best thing you can do for them is keep them factory and tuned up.

like he said, not much you can do get more power. just do the tune up. as for exhaust, as he said if is in good shape do the muffler replacement. i am going to cut from in from of the cat all the way back off. mine is rough but not leaking. but the cat seems to be ready to give up. but i have a place that will do the work right and cheap. they have done three of my or my dads vehicles, depending on who owned at the time.we have a habit of buying and selling vehicles back and forth. anyways the only thing that will really help outside of that would delta cams but as far as i know they are for NA engines not turbo. if i understand it right they give a little better low end grunt. which the EA 82 have very little of. please someone correct me if i am wrong. hope that helps you.

the main reason for the electrical upgrades isnt really for power, I have four off road lights mounted on the rally bar in the front (2 6" Hella HID & 2 4" PIAA) mounted as well as 3 Hella 4" HID on the roof basket & 2 tiny back ups in the rear, so you now see why I want to regulate the power so I dont kill it while off road., however I did buy an Optima Yellow top! bad rump roast battery!!! I am not building this car to be abused just occasional off road, I backpack alot so I want it to get me where I need to be, I'm getting ready to buy some 14"pug wheels for it should bump it up an inch or so. This car has only 148,000 on it, rebuilt top end. Mint condition car.:banana:

running a red top in my 88 sedan, yes damn good battery.i also have another red top in the wagon and a back up yellowtop. advance auto parts employee discount:rolleyes:. as for off road lights, the yellow top will help. but i larger altenator would go a long way to help with that. there are a few threads on here to help with that. i found one on using a nissan maxima alt. and on for using a chevy alt. i found this one

http://random.removed.us/altswap.html

this is for the hitachi to gm swap. as i sadi there is also a thread or two for other swaps. maybe other board members can help with links as well.

this write up seems pretty in depth. i have yet to try it but it is next on the list.

Upgrading the igntion coil will do nothing for your extra electrical accesories and the simple fact that you think it would leads me to the conclusion that *you* should not touch your electrical system. Just put down the wire-strippers and walk slowely away from the engine bay :-\. And in any case, if you don't like being stranded on the side of the road, you should not touch your ignition coil. Aftermarket coil's are notorious for being junk. The stock coil will last forever. Don't touch it.

If you want to run more stuff, you need to upgrade the alternator (Nissan Maxima 90A) and it needs to be done right - with an upgraded wire size from the output lug of the alt to the main junction and an additional fuse panel installed to run the additional accesories. You should probably have someone experienced with such things do it for you.

I have a couple Maxima alts already built for sale - $100 plus shipping. They bolt straight in with no modifications.

GD

well, since I can from Chevys over to Subies,well then thats your reason why, not an idiot! just new to the 4 bangers.

Sorry for GD, you just need to read his title below his name. :rolleyes:

Anywho, I highly recommend you get the Maxima alt upgrade, as it is VERY

difficult to fit a GM 100a into an EA82 alt spot, if you have a/c.

To get a good alt with twice the power (almost) of the stock alt, with no

mods other than the wire upgrade, for only $100?

I say go for it.

Its really easy to upgrade the wire, your local farm and feed store should have the wire you need to jump from the alt to the battery.

As for the exhaust, you don't want to go too free flowing or you will lose

your low end horribly.

I say go for a muffler that sounds good and stick with that.

Twitch

well, since I can from Chevys over to Subies,well then thats your reason why, not an idiot! just new to the 4 bangers.

The number of cylinders has nothing to do with the principles of operation of an ignition coil - upgrading the ignition coil WILL NOT help run more accesories. Period. End of discussion. Brand makes no difference.

I have a '69 GMC with a 350 SB - the system is the same except it has 4 more cylinders. Subaru's use a standard GM 3-wire alternator configuration...... yes that's exactly the same system Chevy (GM) uses.

Hate to say it - but you need to read up on your automotive electrical system theory.

GD

i gained a little umph from a spectre filter, I modified a firewall flange mount

http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-8148-Intake-Mounting-Plate/dp/B000BPUTL4/ref=pd_sbs_auto_8

bolted that to the maf. also the throttle body sounds rockin:lol::lol:

then I put an exhaust on it, magnaflow sounds ok, I like my topspeed.

get the maxima alt upgrade. you WILL need it. the stock 55amp alternator suffered on my car just from driving lights. It lasted a year...