Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So. California EA82 Wheeler

JacksonRally

I like that it is actually ENGINEERED and not just hacked together,

you can see the thought and care gone into this project. Lovely stuff!

Actually RUNS IT! not afraid to take it out and use it!

This is the guy you want to take with you on any serious trail ride...(gotta have a decent Tech with you that understand the "interconnectedness of things")

Bravissimo!

I am trying to keep true to the original suspension design of the GL. Honestly I've been very tempted to take the easy way out and go to straight axles, but Im not about the easy route. I will retain the strut setup in front and swing arm in rear. The locking hubs are for the rear. I also have an r200 coming. Originally I was going to get an arb fir the r200 but won't need to with the locking hubs. So I will either weld the diff again or get a spool. Im not trying to do anything crazy, just want to use heavy duty parts. Lots more to come! Plus those Toyota 4pots calipers are huge :)

R200? what's that?  Aren't sccobs either R160 or R180?  And I hear ARB is workingon a 180 locker...

Please educate me on the 200 bit?

Also a little lost on the locking hubs mod. . . . what would that do for you?  I've had my (front) spindles and bearings apart but haven't seen the front torn out of a real 4x4 to get the locking hub deal. . . 

always great to read your inspirations K!  and as always, great fab and build work!

Ciao

R200? what's that?  Aren't sccobs either R160 or R180?  And I hear ARB is workingon a 180 locker...

Also a little lost on the locking hubs mod. . . . what would that do for you?  I've had my (front) spindles and bearings apart but haven't seen the front torn out of a real 4x4 to get the locking hub deal. . . 

always great to read your inspirations K!  and as always, great fab and build work!

Ciao

Probably more than you want to know... Link

not sure if it directly pretains to the diff that the OP is using, but lots of info just the same.

Edited by tractor pole

• 2 weeks later...

The family went out on fathers day for a little run in the desert. Elevation was -150ft and temps were over 110deg. The car worked pretty well, the a/c had a tough time keeping us cool but with no window tint, 2 adults, 1 child and 2 dogs in the car it was what to expect. Then we stopped for a little sight seeing leaving the car running one of the water lines to the heater core popped! I just looped it back to the motor bypassing the heater core and we called it a day. Way too hot. But you only live once.

• Like 1

Did another round of re-valving on the rear shocks. Another step in the right direction, wont know 100% till I get some time in with the butt dyno. 

Here is a shot with the correct springs.

20130527_131435_zpsd4e0fdcd.jpg

where did you find those shocks? and did they just bolt up... it looks as iff it just bolted up to the stock mounting brackets... that the way to get true flex out of a subi!!... very nice combo... and i dont know ya but im happy you noticed the leak fast and got the family back home... happy fathers day... a little late!

Edited by marcusgl10z28

Thank you.

The theme for the EA82 is "beg, borrow or steal" I'm just gonna build a functional daily driver, wheeler. So far aside from the purchase and transport out Ca I've only spent $15.00 on this. What I got for the $15 is 4 BFG at's (little bit of tread left) and 4 Toyota 4-Runner 15'' wheels. I also got a Subaru Nardi steering wheel for free, 3 Hella 500 lights for free and the front seats out of a 2007 WRX for free. I did some trade work for the re-surfacing of the heads and some gaskets. Its almost time to spend some money though. It needs a water pump, power steering pump, hoses, hose clamps, belts.....etc.

Edit: also hoping to find some scrap soon (like today) for the lift. If not I will use some material I have in the shop.

The WRX is back under the knife also :banana: Low, wide, 30'' tires and double the wheel travel.

I have a 94 loyale wagon, and I'm thinking about buying some wax seats. Will wax seats need an adaptor? Or will they slide right in?

where did you find those shocks? and did they just bolt up... it looks as iff it just bolted up to the stock mounting brackets... that the way to get true flex out of a subi!!... very nice combo... and i dont know ya but im happy you noticed the leak fast and got the family back home... happy fathers day... a little late!

No they did not bolt right up. If you look back in my journal I have some photos of what I had to do to make them work. 

• 3 weeks later...

I got another muffler I did not know I needed....free. Well I paid for it once. It was on the wifes car that we sold then it was removed for a cat back system and given back to me. Its a stainless Magnaflow 3''.  I think its a bit smaller than the one I have. The one I have on there now rattles against the car because its a touch too wide. I think the Magnaflow is overall smaller. I've been really busy but may try to get it on before the Gorman Ridge Rally. I am also going to try a pretty tough trail on my way to the rally. 

• 4 weeks later...

Ciao

Superu I will be running the Toyota hubs/knuckles to use the locking hub part. I idea being these parts are used on heavier vehicles with larger tires and they hold up, so on the Subaru I should be dialed.

Well I sold my 95 Impreza L. This is good and bad. Good cause we are looking for a 05-08 Forester. We need a stock wagon again.....got a little one on the way!!!! The WRX wagon is a little small to throw the dogs all the way in the back when the baby comes. But this is bad cause now I cannot tear the GL apart to do the suspension for awhile. I will need it for daily duties again. 

• 1 month later...

Good news.....finally takeing the GL out of state. We are heading to Prescott AZ for the Prescott Rally. We are leaving a day early so hopefully we can get some wheelin in. Caught up on some maintenance finally. New inner and outer tie rods, brakes, painted front bumper, swapped a/c o rings for the correct ones, radiator flush with new thermostat and new cap. Just a few of the smaller items she was in need of. 

Bad news.....come feb 2014 our family will be plus one more (this is acutally good!!!! but bad for the car) I fear it is going to get tight for 2 adults, 2 children and 2 dogs. Not sure exactly what this means yet but may need a larger wheeler. I guess if I had the right offer I would sell and build something with more room for us. :(

Hooray for PR!!

Hooray for family!!  Kind of in the same boat (sans dogs) with our OBS and my legacy. The Leg has the bigger back seat for the kiddies, but the OBS is newer and more power, etc. etc.

I'm kind of sole on an 09 OB. (maybe a '13 FXT but I need to do that side-by-side comparison ;)

Anyhoo, Good luck out in Prescott and say Hi to Jim (from Flag) for me! ;)

Good news.....finally takeing the GL out of state. We are heading to Prescott AZ for the Prescott Rally. We are leaving a day early so hopefully we can get some wheelin in. Caught up on some maintenance finally. New inner and outer tie rods, brakes, painted front bumper, swapped a/c o rings for the correct ones, radiator flush with new thermostat and new cap. Just a few of the smaller items she was in need of. 

Bad news.....come feb 2014 our family will be plus one more (this is acutally good!!!! but bad for the car) I fear it is going to get tight for 2 adults, 2 children and 2 dogs. Not sure exactly what this means yet but may need a larger wheeler. I guess if I had the right offer I would sell and build something with more room for us. :(

Hooray for PR!!

Hooray for family!!  Kind of in the same boat (sans dogs) with our OBS and my legacy. The Leg has the bigger back seat for the kiddies, but the OBS is newer and more power, etc. etc.

I'm kind of sole on an 09 OB. (maybe a '13 FXT but I need to do that side-by-side comparison ;)

Anyhoo, Good luck out in Prescott and say Hi to Jim (from Flag) for me! ;)

Yeah kinda torn right now. Still have a good 4 months to figure it out but reality seems to be setting in pretty quickly. We take our dogs everywhere too, they are part of the family and take up a bunch of space. 

Ill be sure to tell Jim HEY!