Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So. California EA82 Wheeler

JacksonRally

wow you should start building lift kits. Excellent craftsmanship.

Naw, I will only make for myself. I really can't wait to get her up and running. I tore my WRX apart late Nov. and have been riding my bicycle since then....really really need a running car again.

How bad of an explosion can occur from welding gas charged shocks?

Hope we don't find out.

There is a certain way to do it....like NOT welding on the charged shock body. Not sure if you can see it that well in the pic, but this is why I welded the 2'' tube to the lower spring perch. The 2''x.095 fits nice and snug around the lower end of the shock, then I slide a 1.75''x.095 tube into the 2'' which also keyed nice and snug over the very bottom of the shock. I also welded about an inch at a time and cooled it with shop air to not over heat and expand the air inside the shock.

Guess I should have took pics of the process. Please don't try this at home.

On another note.....just got done welding up the rear diff :lol:

Got the rear diff buttoned up. I also drilled and tapped the hole where the factory vent went. I drilled to 1/2 and tapped 9/16 fine for a -6an o-ring fitting and ran approx. 3' of -6 pushloc line over and up to the fuel filler tube. Next I need to extend the breather on the trans which is just the fill tube.

Weekend already failed :mad: My o-rings for the oil pump was left out of a parts order that took a few days to get. So go to the local NAPA and well, no luck. They say they cannot even get it. So I try to buy upper and lower radiator hoses, acc. belts, and an oil filter.....all they had was the oil filter. So unless I find something on a Saturday in the land of new Subarus, I may have to wait another fricken week.

Weekend already failed :mad: My o-rings for the oil pump was left out of a parts order that took a few days to get. So go to the local NAPA and well, no luck. They say they cannot even get it. So I try to buy upper and lower radiator hoses, acc. belts, and an oil filter.....all they had was the oil filter. So unless I find something on a Saturday in the land of new Subarus, I may have to wait another fricken week.

The line code and part number for the "mickey mouse" o-ring from Napa is ATM LA650. It is listed as "Oil Pump Mounting Gasket". My search showed over 100 of them in the various Napa distribution centers around the country and that particular supplier has over 400 more so they should be able to get one. The seal number from Napa should be NOS 7205 and the o-ring should be available like Yo'J mentioned above. Beck Arnley 039-6320 Oil Pump Install Kit should be available also, but a dealer would still probably be your best bet.

Looks like I will have some time to put the motor back in tomorrow. If all goes well I may be trailering it out to the desert this weekend. We already have a trip planned and I probably won't have time to get it registered and smogged so I will just tow it out for the weekend....hopefully.

do you have to lengthen your lower control arms......

I personally will be making blocks for the top of the strut. But to lengthen the bottom portion of the strut and retain proper geometry you will have to lengthen the LCA, and need to make sure there is enough plunge in the inboard CV for the longer arm. If not longer axles will be needed. This is what I did on my WRX wagon. Luckily I was able to get sedan axles which are longer than wagon so I extended the arms 3/4'' per side.

982007082.jpg

982007085.jpg

982007086.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

She is finally on all fours. I was able to finish the front strut lift blocks. The car runs and drives. I only drove it around the shop parking lot still running on 2 studs per wheel. Later that day I got the hubs over to my machinist for drilling. I also re-routed the stock exhaust so it runs along the pass floor board then crosses over the rear beam/driveshaft instead of under. Still needs a few things, including front axles :mad: