Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

So. California EA82 Wheeler

• Please log in to reply
489 replies to this topic

#76 JacksonRally

JacksonRally

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Sage, CA

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:50 AM

+2

BUT,
I'd still like to see a 4x4 swap in the WRX...
Maybe one good trip till the 210+ HP shreads the 'ol EA82 tranny :lol:

But still curious. . .

My ej motor is at my friend shop just waiting for me :grin:

And my WRX with 300hp will destroy the EA trans...

#77 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,606 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:05 AM

Good to know on the stock recovery loops. I will have to make something. Just glad they worked last weekend :lol:

Ive pulled them stock hold down right off the car, they are designed for downward pull not forward,

#78 JacksonRally

JacksonRally

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Sage, CA

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:05 PM

Ok back to the cupholders :grin:

Figure I'd start by at the shifter trim by making a new cap and eventually new shift boot. Cupholders to follow.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#79 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,386 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:03 AM

thats pretty neat.

#80 JacksonRally

JacksonRally

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Sage, CA

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:13 AM

Well I finally broke a rear axle, this was just after getting stuck in a giant ditch for an hour (pics to come) No biggie I was only 2 miles from my shop. I limped it to the shop and pulled the axle. I had some work to do so I worked for a bit more then went to drive home.....heres my big problem only my headlights work???? Im confused. None of the instrument lights work, no marker lights, no tail lights....It was too late for me to really care so I will take a look under the dash tomorrow.

Now is the time for a stronger rear axle solution, and believe me I will find one :banana:

#81 JacksonRally

JacksonRally

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Sage, CA

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:06 PM

Finally found a little time to fab up a roof rack. Not 100% done but its getting there.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#82 88Subi4x4

88Subi4x4

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Everett

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:22 AM

wow nice work looks great :banana:

#83 DC493

DC493

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Tijeras

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:09 PM

That looks great I'm actually starting my project to buld a roof rack.
What kind of steel did you use?

#84 Yo'J

Yo'J

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 833 posts
  • seattle

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:21 AM

Thats way better than just adding to the support runners that come stock on some subies. I'm liking that!

#85 JacksonRally

JacksonRally

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Sage, CA

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:09 PM

That looks great I'm actually starting my project to buld a roof rack.
What kind of steel did you use?

ERW mild steel 1''x.095 wall

#86 JacksonRally

JacksonRally

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Sage, CA

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:12 PM

Roof rack still waiting on some $$ for some expanded metal to finish her off.

I did however break the pinion shaft on the rear end....at least thats what it seems like.

I also finally got some new tires. My freebies were getting pretty dangerous and I had no spare.

So I went with 30''X9.50'' BFG All Terrains :banana:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And a little trimmin....need to trim all the way to the door though :eek:

Posted Image

#87 JacksonRally

JacksonRally

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Sage, CA

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:13 PM

Also my EJ25 should be arriving tomorrow
:banana::grin::banana::grin::banana::grin:

#88 thatswhatshesaid

thatswhatshesaid

Subaphilia

• Gold Subscribers
  • 736 posts
  • Spokane, WA

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:14 PM

Awesome. Keep up the good work. All of your fab work so far has been beautiful (especially the rack...and the whole WRX...)

#89 JacksonRally

JacksonRally

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Sage, CA

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:58 PM

Also my EJ25 should be arriving tomorrow
:banana::grin::banana::grin::banana::grin:

It has arrived :grin: Still lots to do before it goes in but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

#90 kanurys

kanurys

High Altitude GL

• Members
  • 690 posts
  • Durango, CO

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:11 PM

How's the EJ coming? I have an 87 on a 4" lift with 29's. I'd love to see what you do to fit the EJ25 in the EA82...

On another note, what about a franken motor? EJ25 block + EJ22 everything else. There is some stuff written on this, but I was wondering how it measured/fit in the EA82 frame, vs others.

Can't wait for an update,

SK

#91 michael appel

michael appel

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 779 posts
  • wilsonville Or

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:01 PM

thats a pretty badass ride mine is getting there i have to finish a couple of things for the ej swap I did but itll be cool

#92 JacksonRally

JacksonRally

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Sage, CA

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:04 PM

How's the EJ coming? I have an 87 on a 4" lift with 29's. I'd love to see what you do to fit the EJ25 in the EA82...

On another note, what about a franken motor? EJ25 block + EJ22 everything else. There is some stuff written on this, but I was wondering how it measured/fit in the EA82 frame, vs others.

Can't wait for an update,

SK

First off Ive been awhile without internet. On a borrowed pc right now :mad:

I pretty much have everything for the ej swap now. I am going with a complete swap....meaning I got everything from a 2001 Impreza. I have motor, chassis harness, guage cluster, a/c parts, all a/c and heater stuff for under dash, all a/c heater controls, power mirror switch, cruise button, steering column with 2001 wiper/blinker stuff....so pretty much every damn thing to run in 87 chassis with D/R trans :banana: Gonna be a bit of work to cram all that stuff into the 87 dash but I will make it work.

Biggest item I need to get is the adapter plate. Other than the ineviteble misc stuff I have what I need. Plan is to wait till winter is pretty much over (not long in CA anywho) that way I can still play while the ea is still running.

#93 kanurys

kanurys

High Altitude GL

• Members
  • 690 posts
  • Durango, CO

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:04 AM

That's great to hear. Are you going to re-drill your flywheel or have someone else do it? SJR?

My GF's 2004 SOHC impreza engine is very torque-y and tons of fun. Winter up here in Durango is a few months and is usually accompanied by tons of snow. I already tried the lifted 87 GL in about 6" of pow pow with the 29's. That was a blast.

Keep us updated on your progress, please. Also, regarding your custom center console plate, I think I'm going to make something like that and use the old boot. Yours is way slick.

#94 Ioku

Ioku

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Bend

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:15 PM

$15 dollars later I scored 4 Toyota 6-lug wheels with 28" BFG's
and of course had to put them on with no lift. Cut the front fenders a little and moved the front end forward 1.5". When I get to the lift I will fix camber, not sure whats up with it right now as its all stock.

How did you move the front end forward by 1.5 inches.

#95 kanurys

kanurys

High Altitude GL

• Members
  • 690 posts
  • Durango, CO

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

How did you move the front end forward by 1.5 inches.

yeah.

#96 michael appel

michael appel

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 779 posts
  • wilsonville Or

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:39 PM

put in engine cross member blocks 1 in and a half forward its pretty simple

#97 JacksonRally

JacksonRally

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Sage, CA

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:11 PM

Still without internet. At the inlaws to make quick post.

Finally started 2.5 super swap. Car is completly gutted, had to cut firewall a bit to make 01 heater/air con unit to fit underdash. Wiring harness in all fitted in just need to solder connections to taillights and headlights. Still have to fill in firewall and make 01 guage cluster fit in dash. Also have to make all new ducting for heater/ac. Dash is pretty much 87 carcass. I will be installing gps, cb, and a new stereo and later on a ham radio. I tore the motor apart to do headgaskets and new timing belt. I will get some pics up sooner than later.

#98 JacksonRally

JacksonRally

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Sage, CA

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:15 PM

That's great to hear. Are you going to re-drill your flywheel or have someone else do it? SJR?

My GF's 2004 SOHC impreza engine is very torque-y and tons of fun. Winter up here in Durango is a few months and is usually accompanied by tons of snow. I already tried the lifted 87 GL in about 6" of pow pow with the 29's. That was a blast.

Keep us updated on your progress, please. Also, regarding your custom center console plate, I think I'm going to make something like that and use the old boot. Yours is way slick.

Yeah I welded up holes and had flywheel redrilled which was a pain. Then the guy who redrilled the holes could not reface on the lathe cause the material was too hard. Finally took it somewhere else where they used a diamond grinder and a total of $265. I hope it works.

#99 JacksonRally

JacksonRally

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Sage, CA

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:53 PM

Finally got the internet going again. We purchased our first home out in the sticks and only thing available is satelite internet and it has been alittle out of my price range but we couldnt go any longer without.

Now back to the car! I will get to the swap but first I was wondering if anyone else who is daily driving with the rearend weld ran into the same problem as me???? I pretty much ended up ripping the rear lift blocks out of the unibody. It cracked the sheetmetal and tore the factory weldnuts out of the car. I fixed it permanently by plating the car with some 3/16 then welded the rear crossmember to the plated areas. Now the entire rear driveline is solid mounted which is great but it was a ton of work. Ill get pics updated this weekend.

#100 The Beast I Drive

The Beast I Drive

CALL ME, (509) 391-5903

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
  • Toppenish, WA

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:30 AM

I never ran into that problem on the Beast, and I drove it on the street as a daily driver, welded rear and 31" mud tires.... Welding it all solid though should make it a lot more sturdy

-Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users