Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So. California EA82 Wheeler

JacksonRally

+2

BUT,

I'd still like to see a 4x4 swap in the WRX...

Maybe one good trip till the 210+ HP shreads the 'ol EA82 tranny :lol:

But still curious. . .

My ej motor is at my friend shop just waiting for me :grin:

And my WRX with 300hp will destroy the EA trans...

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally broke a rear axle, this was just after getting stuck in a giant ditch for an hour (pics to come) No biggie I was only 2 miles from my shop. I limped it to the shop and pulled the axle. I had some work to do so I worked for a bit more then went to drive home.....heres my big problem only my headlights work???? Im confused. None of the instrument lights work, no marker lights, no tail lights....It was too late for me to really care so I will take a look under the dash tomorrow.

Now is the time for a stronger rear axle solution, and believe me I will find one :banana:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Roof rack still waiting on some $$ for some expanded metal to finish her off.

I did however break the pinion shaft on the rear end....at least thats what it seems like.

I also finally got some new tires. My freebies were getting pretty dangerous and I had no spare.

So I went with 30''X9.50'' BFG All Terrains :banana:

PICT0638.jpg

PICT0639.jpg

And a little trimmin....need to trim all the way to the door though :eek:

PICT0640.jpg

• 1 month later...

How's the EJ coming? I have an 87 on a 4" lift with 29's. I'd love to see what you do to fit the EJ25 in the EA82...

On another note, what about a franken motor? EJ25 block + EJ22 everything else. There is some stuff written on this, but I was wondering how it measured/fit in the EA82 frame, vs others.

Can't wait for an update,

SK

• 5 weeks later...
How's the EJ coming? I have an 87 on a 4" lift with 29's. I'd love to see what you do to fit the EJ25 in the EA82...

On another note, what about a franken motor? EJ25 block + EJ22 everything else. There is some stuff written on this, but I was wondering how it measured/fit in the EA82 frame, vs others.

Can't wait for an update,

SK

First off Ive been awhile without internet. On a borrowed pc right now :mad:

I pretty much have everything for the ej swap now. I am going with a complete swap....meaning I got everything from a 2001 Impreza. I have motor, chassis harness, guage cluster, a/c parts, all a/c and heater stuff for under dash, all a/c heater controls, power mirror switch, cruise button, steering column with 2001 wiper/blinker stuff....so pretty much every damn thing to run in 87 chassis with D/R trans :banana: Gonna be a bit of work to cram all that stuff into the 87 dash but I will make it work.

Biggest item I need to get is the adapter plate. Other than the ineviteble misc stuff I have what I need. Plan is to wait till winter is pretty much over (not long in CA anywho) that way I can still play while the ea is still running.

That's great to hear. Are you going to re-drill your flywheel or have someone else do it? SJR?

My GF's 2004 SOHC impreza engine is very torque-y and tons of fun. Winter up here in Durango is a few months and is usually accompanied by tons of snow. I already tried the lifted 87 GL in about 6" of pow pow with the 29's. That was a blast.

Keep us updated on your progress, please. Also, regarding your custom center console plate, I think I'm going to make something like that and use the old boot. Yours is way slick.

• 4 weeks later...

$15 dollars later I scored 4 Toyota 6-lug wheels with 28" BFG's

and of course had to put them on with no lift. Cut the front fenders a little and moved the front end forward 1.5". When I get to the lift I will fix camber, not sure whats up with it right now as its all stock.

How did you move the front end forward by 1.5 inches.

• 9 months later...

Still without internet. At the inlaws to make quick post.

Finally started 2.5 super swap. Car is completly gutted, had to cut firewall a bit to make 01 heater/air con unit to fit underdash. Wiring harness in all fitted in just need to solder connections to taillights and headlights. Still have to fill in firewall and make 01 guage cluster fit in dash. Also have to make all new ducting for heater/ac. Dash is pretty much 87 carcass. I will be installing gps, cb, and a new stereo and later on a ham radio. I tore the motor apart to do headgaskets and new timing belt. I will get some pics up sooner than later.

That's great to hear. Are you going to re-drill your flywheel or have someone else do it? SJR?

My GF's 2004 SOHC impreza engine is very torque-y and tons of fun. Winter up here in Durango is a few months and is usually accompanied by tons of snow. I already tried the lifted 87 GL in about 6" of pow pow with the 29's. That was a blast.

Keep us updated on your progress, please. Also, regarding your custom center console plate, I think I'm going to make something like that and use the old boot. Yours is way slick.

Yeah I welded up holes and had flywheel redrilled which was a pain. Then the guy who redrilled the holes could not reface on the lathe cause the material was too hard. Finally took it somewhere else where they used a diamond grinder and a total of $265. I hope it works.

• 1 month later...

Finally got the internet going again. We purchased our first home out in the sticks and only thing available is satelite internet and it has been alittle out of my price range but we couldnt go any longer without.

Now back to the car! I will get to the swap but first I was wondering if anyone else who is daily driving with the rearend weld ran into the same problem as me???? I pretty much ended up ripping the rear lift blocks out of the unibody. It cracked the sheetmetal and tore the factory weldnuts out of the car. I fixed it permanently by plating the car with some 3/16 then welded the rear crossmember to the plated areas. Now the entire rear driveline is solid mounted which is great but it was a ton of work. Ill get pics updated this weekend.