Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So. California EA82 Wheeler

JacksonRally

• 2 weeks later...
you going resealed EJ25, and sticking with an EA dual range 4x4 I hope? :brow:

Yeah went through the EJ a bit, new headgaskets, resealed oil pan and new timing belt/tensioner/idlers are the major bits.

And yes sticking with the dr :D

Right now I am getting a bit frustrated seeing my car sit outside collecting cob webs like crazy right now. I really really really need to find some time to get it back in the shop and get going on it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I am getting a bit frustrated seeing my car sit outside collecting cob webs like crazy right now.

Yeah copy that!!! I'm 3 months out on my rig. needs timing kit done, has a baaaad coolant leak and needs some resealing too... But I'm waiting on an Aussie kid to send me a fun bit, then I'll do it all together! Then you'll REALLY need to swing by Moab some time!!! :brow:

Bring your bro and I'll get Jim from Flagstaff up here in his rally car too!

We'll have LOADS of fun!

2.5 litres of fury :clap:

DSC00090-1.jpg

Brought the front down a touch with the added weight. I think it finally sits level which is perfect

DSC00093.jpg

This is where I had the wiring coming through until I took a better look at the a/c stuff so I had to cut out a bit more for a/c line fitment. Now I will plate in and re-do harness holes.

DSC00091.jpg

Thanks for the kind words! I love this project. Cant wait to take it everywhere and definetly Moab one day.

There is still a ton of work to do and now the wife is back in school and using the wrx wagon I had to get another Subaru for daily tasks. So I managed to procure a 1995 Impreza 4dr 1.8 AWD with only 92,000 miles! It needs a little lovin but will be a good commuter.

• 1 month later...

So what's the word, dude? I got my EJ22 running. There are still a few bugs to work out, but things are good. Most importantly, my alternator isn't charging the battery. I think the charge light wire isn't hooked up right. Anyways, give us all an update!

No big plans for the L, just daily driver duties. But it will be getting a skidplate (every Subaru should have one).

Haven't touched the GL in awhile. But I did get a few goodies that I will be using when shes all done.

A little camp setup

DSC00135.jpg

Nice little table 4'x2', fold to 2'x2' and locks shut

DSC00137.jpg

DSC00138.jpg

• 1 month later...

What's the word? Any progress?

I'm battling a few things with the mixed up model years. I have to figure out how to get the vehicle speed sensor signal to the ECU. Phase II computers don't like the 12v pulse, they like 5v. Also, they want to see 4 or 5 pulses (not clear on that) per spedo rotation.

So, after that, I'll be in business.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I was making progress. So frustrated right now. I now have a spot in the shop for the car but waiting on a customer to move his first. Sounds easy but the car has no suspension and I dont want to move it for him. I gave him a month and now its time for it to GO!

In other news, hoping to finally have a new windshield install here soon. :clap:

I always like to be setup to jump into a project on a whim. It sucks when you have to get past a bunch of hurdles just to get started...

As for the VSS, I ended up making a transistor network which distributed a bunch of grounded signals, basically copying the VSS in the EA cluster...

Yours will be easy if you're using the impreza cluster. The speed signal sender should bolt right into the trans where the EA cable is.

I always like to be setup to jump into a project on a whim. It sucks when you have to get past a bunch of hurdles just to get started...

As for the VSS, I ended up making a transistor network which distributed a bunch of grounded signals, basically copying the VSS in the EA cluster...

Yours will be easy if you're using the impreza cluster. The speed signal sender should bolt right into the trans where the EA cable is.

Yes I am using the Impreza cluster. From the get go the plan has been to run the entire Impreza harness to limit the crazy splices that I probably wouldn't be able to figure out. Honestly the only thing I have to figure out is the GL fuel tank wiring to work on Impreza cluster fuel guage. Other than that its just cutting items like headlights and taillights and splicing onto the GL lights. That will be the extent of my ability as far as wiring goes.