Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So. California EA82 Wheeler

JacksonRally

Nice work. The ignition stuff is really straight forward. I'd love to see pictures of the column switches you retrofitted.

Also, I just got a bunch of parts in the mail and am ready to make a fuel gauge converter if you have the resistance measurements. Was the rs25 a single or dual fuel level sender vehicle?

SK

Yeah the ignition seems pretty easy, providing it actually works. Ill definetly get the photos posted when I can.

Not sure about the quantity of the senders??? It came off of a 2001 Impreza RS 2 door.

Yeah I hear ya. I have send picture messages from my cell phone, to my email, and then upload them to photobucket. It's a pain.

The other side of the coin is I dont have a smart phone. However my 2 year contract is up and I will be switching providers and getting a smart phone to do all the updates a bit better. I thought technology was supposed to make our lives easier :banghead:

So Im over at the inlaws using a much faster computer than I have and Im looking through the links with the pdfs for the wiring diagrams and even though it says its for a 2001 Impreza they are showing a 2002 GD chassis car. Kanurys, have you had a chance to check these out? Im trying to figure out what a connector in the engine bay goes to. The connector in question comes through the firewall with harness on pass side. It is joined with the 2 (brown and gray) connectors that connect to the engine, plus the little ones that are for neutral and reverse lights to the trans. Also there is the connector for the speedo....now the kicker is there is another gray (similar in size to the 2 that connect to the engine) one in with the bundle. My assumption is that it is for the o2 sensors. I am trying to confirm this on the wiring diagrams.

The other side of the coin is I dont have a smart phone. However my 2 year contract is up and I will be switching providers and getting a smart phone to do all the updates a bit better. I thought technology was supposed to make our lives easier :banghead:

No smart phone for me either, I refuse! I just have a regular cell phone that has texting and a camera. It's still a pain!! We just love the seeing the work you do.

Ill see if my buddy has that connector off the trans. Yesterday I printed out descriptions and locations of all of the electrical items, I know there are a few other items that I may be missing. Thank you Kanurys for that link to the electrical stuff. I think things will start to fall into place real soon :headbang:

and Ill get those readings off the fuel sender from the GL soon.

Right on! What helped me a lot was to make a spreadsheet with columns for EJ wire color, Description and EA wire to hook up to. Then I had another column for extra comments.

Here's a link to my 1999 impreza to 1987 Spreadsheet. I wonder if the wires are the same? Maybe it will be useful to you, somehow.

Also get me the readings from the impreza if possible. I'll try getting some readings from my cars, too, but yours are just as important. The way I see it, the gauge sends a voltage to the variable resistor in the sender unit which is grounded.

The signal either needs to be amplified or attenuated. I know how to do that, I just need to know the resistances I'm working with and how the systems are configured: either power from gauge or ground from gauge based on the year of the car... I hope that makes sense.

Right on! What helped me a lot was to make a spreadsheet with columns for EJ wire color, Description and EA wire to hook up to. Then I had another column for extra comments.

Here's a link to my 1999 impreza to 1987 Spreadsheet. I wonder if the wires are the same? Maybe it will be useful to you, somehow.

Also get me the readings from the impreza if possible. I'll try getting some readings from my cars, too, but yours are just as important. The way I see it, the gauge sends a voltage to the variable resistor in the sender unit which is grounded.

The signal either needs to be amplified or attenuated. I know how to do that, I just need to know the resistances I'm working with and how the systems are configured: either power from gauge or ground from gauge based on the year of the car... I hope that makes sense.

First the good news....I can turn the key and stuff works! Granted I dont even have the starter in or fuel pump but I wanted to make sure I can bury wires under the dash. Now that I was able to do a quick check of items with the ignition on I can install the dash knowing I shouldnt have to dig for wires.

Bad news....well not really, just one of those moment where I could have saved my self some time. Instead of cutting and splicing the ignition wires I could have just unscrewed the back of the cylinder where all of the wires are soldered and just screwed in the 01 part to the 87 cylinder. Oh well, live and learn.

So you need readings from an Impreza and from my GL sender, correct?

At least it was only a couple of wires. There are always things like that on an engine/dash swap.

Ideally yes. I will measure my both of own cars' readings but I want to be sure it will be compatible with your setup. If you can't find the Impreza stuff, I'll probably be ok since it's similar to my outback, but it would be nice to know what your readings are. I already have a design sketched up. I just need the observed resistances to calculate resistor values, etc...

Once I make a prototype, I'll make two and send you one to test with your system. If that goes well, I'll design a printed circuit board and etch it so the electronics are a little more solid.

I'd like to adapt this system for a EJ'd VW, as well. I just need to find a swap to test it on.

I'm also thinking of putting some resistors in to fake out the fuel temp, pressure and vent signals into the ecu. It shouldn't add much electronics to the board. I'll be killing a few ecu codes with one fix.

I got the readings from my factory GL sender. The contact and copper winds were pretty black so we got some 1000grit and cleaned it up a bit to get a consistent read.

Full read between 1.5 and 2.5 ohms

Empty read between 105 and 110 ohms

After taking the sender out I saw the fuel temp sensor also and was wondering how to hook that up to the 01 harness?

Thanks for getting the readings. I didn't know the EA82 had a fuel temp sensor. I'd think you could hook it up directly if it were wired properly. Subaru uses thermistors for much of their temp monitoring, so as long as it's in a similar range as the Impreza sensor, it would just be a matter of hooking it to the ECU. I'll test that too, when I check my own cars...

Ok that makes sense. Ill see about wiring it into the harness.

All week I've been on the hunt for a few items that I dont have.

-illumination control module Found!

-wiper switch is broken Found!

-hazard button Found!

-rear defrost button Found!

-O2 sensor harness (on the trans) Still need!

-pass rear 01 taillight wiring (wiring on taillight its self) Still need!

I pretty much have the new harness completely spliced and installed. There are a few items I still need to do, but its only about a day away from being done. Then I will start fitting dash and radiator and eventually work my way to the exhaust.

I haven't fallen off the edge of the earth. I'm just waiting for a parts order to come, in which I tacked on a few extra parts for this fuel conversion project.

Sounds good. Im just gonna keep posting progress with or without pics. Im getting excited at how close the wiring is coming to being done.

Let me know if you need some cash to help pay for this fuel guage project. I appreciate all of your help :cool:

Hopefully you get a way to post pics!! we gotta see the fitting of the newer style dash!

I hear ya. Im doing so many little things that are not being documented and I want to show them off.

The 87 dash plastics is what I am still going to use, from there I am going to fit all of the 01 stuff to. Pretty much the guage cluster, hazard and r defrost buttons and the climate controls. The rest will be custom. A standard stereo head unit is too deep to fit now, not sure what Im going to do with that. 4wd and 4wd low will have new indicator lights. Im trying to mount my GPS up above the center vents and CB radio might be to the right of that. Switches for aux lights will be up where the GL heater controls were to the right and left of guage cluster.

Sounds good. Im just gonna keep posting progress with or without pics. Im getting excited at how close the wiring is coming to being done.

Let me know if you need some cash to help pay for this fuel gauge project. I appreciate all of your help :cool:

Thanks for thinking of paying for parts. The parts are pretty cheap. I'd like to be able to sell these as a conversion product, so if it works you can be the guinea pig and reap the bennies. You just have to report back to me how well it works :)

Here's what I measured on my 1998 Legacy outback:

The gauge sends 5v to the fuel level senders which are then grounded.

At nearly 1 ohm the tank reads nearly full.

At about 110 ohms the tank reads empty.

This is almost the same case as the EA measurements you posted here. Check that one side of the EA sender plug is connected to ground and just connect the other sender wire to the EJ gauge wire which should show 5v from the gauge when not hooked up to the sender. No special electronics necessary.

There is also another 5v wire for the low fuel light. This would require some special electronics to get to come on at the right time. It's up to you if you want to try to make it work or not.

Let me know if the gauge works directly with a grounded fuel sender. I'll figure out what resistors we need to fake out the computer for fuel tank temp and pressure, etc...

Edited by kanurys