Ultimate Subaru Message Board

One Wire GM 100 amp Alt conversion

Well i've been looking at converting to a larger amp for awhile. was gonna go to an XT6 alt a year or so ago... but still not enough amps for me. then into the older GM or the Newer GM alternator. but having trouble finding all the proper gm diagrams to match wires and resistors. but since i don't trust any of my charging system as it sits. i don't want to just patch in a new alt. beings the fact the volts are always low and jumpy. mainly do to a bad voltage regulator.

i've decided on doing the one wire 100amp gm style alternator conversion. one wire from power to the alt. then grounds on the engine. less stuff to screw up and make it a lot simpler. guess i'll start this hopefully next month. if i can get the cash. the actual mount mods i think will be the hardest to do. bot no sweat. then i'll do an update and keep you informed on the upgrade. wether it flops or goes good! any suggestions? or design help of people that have done a gm alt conversion is greatly appreciated.

• 4 months later...