Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My next off-road project! Gen 1 Brat

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 The Beast I Drive

The Beast I Drive

CALL ME, (509) 391-5903

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
  • Toppenish, WA

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:02 PM

Well, its time to start planning the build of my next wheeler, my beloved red '80 Brat Rusty :banana:

Posted Image

Right now my Brat is pretty much stock with a few tweaks. EA71 with polished 1400 intake and a Weber, factory winch bumper and high roll bar, custom rear bumper to match the front, dual exhaust with X-pipe and glasspacks, and 175/80R13 snow tires.

My plans as of now are full subframe, Nissan 720 T-case, 5-speed D/R, Hi-Po EA81, 4.11 Early Legacy front and rear diffs, 8" lift on the body, 10" on the suspension, widen the front wheel track by 6" to EA82 specs, widen the rear by 7 1/2" to EA82 specs, EA82 front and rear axles, modified EA82 front control arms, modified Gen 1 rear torsion arm assemblies, EA82 disc brakes front and rear, EA82 front knuckles and struts, welded rear, full Dual exhaust with X pipe and glasspacks to the rear, 31/10.5R15 tires on some decent looking 15" 6 lug steels.

With the T-case and 4.11 gears I will have a crawl ratio of 46.6:1 or so, not acounting for the tires. Still a lot better than stock 5 speed ratio of 22:1.

This is what I will be jigging up my setup on

Posted Image

Once the drivetrain and frame and suspension is all set up on this, I will drop my red Brat body onto it. If I am lucky I might have it running by the Walker meet or WCSS12. Right now Rusty is one of my daily drivers, so thats why Im using another Brat to get setup on.

This should be pretty sweet when its done, the Gen 1 body is so narrow and light compared to an EA82 that it should be amazing off-road. I might even splurge and buy some 31/12.5 Super Swamper Boggers for it :banana:

Progress pics to come!

-Bill

Edited by The Beast I Drive, 20 March 2010 - 10:04 PM.

#2 Breeke

Breeke

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • Onalaska, WA

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:14 PM

:popcorn:

This is gonna be good!

#3 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,627 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:29 PM

you want that EA71 I may have found someone to drop it off at your place

#4 bigo1966

bigo1966

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Lafayette, Colorado

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:06 AM

Dude I was just day dreaming about this same setup, EA82 running gear on some other subaru. Ill be taking notes...

#5 The Beast I Drive

The Beast I Drive

CALL ME, (509) 391-5903

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
  • Toppenish, WA

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:20 AM

you want that EA71 I may have found someone to drop it off at your place

If you have someone who can bring it to me, that would be great!

-Bill

#6 Don_Quixpunch

Don_Quixpunch

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:05 AM

I'll be following this thread closely as I have possible aspirations of making my 81 Brat off road capable.

I noticed your right fender is pretty trashed. I'm soon to be replacing both of my fenders. Mine are both a bit rusty around the wheel well and along the tops, but patchable. If you want to save the pretty fenders you have and use some that look a bit better but are still not show car worthy, I'd send one or both of them to you for the price of shipping and packing. I could ship them at the same time as the compressor that doesn't seem to be generating any interest.

#7 The Beast I Drive

The Beast I Drive

CALL ME, (509) 391-5903

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
  • Toppenish, WA

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:47 AM

Thanks for the offer on the fenders, but they are just fine for off-roading. Ive had them fall off before but I just keep finding new ways to hold them on :lol: This rig isnt gonna be built to look pretty, its going to be a wheeler, so its going to get beat up, and I'd rather beat up rusty trash than semi-decent parts... I am still interested in the compressor though because I still have the A/C bracket that came with this Brat and Im going to set up Onboard Air in it for sure :banana:

-Bill

#8 Don_Quixpunch

Don_Quixpunch

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:09 PM

Okay. Go ahead and message me your address and I'll find out shipping and get back to you with a price.

As for the fenders, they're gonna end up as scrap anyway. I wouldn't call them half decent, and nobody around here is gonna want them. But if you're happy, that's what matters.

#9 Breeke

Breeke

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • Onalaska, WA

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:26 PM

Are you done with it yet bill? LOL

#10 The Beast I Drive

The Beast I Drive

CALL ME, (509) 391-5903

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
  • Toppenish, WA

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:50 PM

Something you might call progress!

Kinda mocked-up a tranny, Nissan T-case, and a rear diff in the front moved 2" forward from stock

Posted Image

Grabbed some rear torsion arm assemblies from my pile of parts...

Posted Image

This week I will be getting the steel to make the lift blocks and the subframe :banana:

-Bill

#11 subaruguru

subaruguru

Scammer

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • Yakima Wa,

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:31 PM

so i take it your moms motor is still setting on the shop floor.

hahaha looks like it will be a trip.

Rob.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users