Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just pulled the heads off of my 2k EJ22 after the t-belt slipped. The pass side cams turn smoothly w/o the lifters. The driver's side one is really hard to turn by hand.

Could the cam have bent when the piston hit the valves?

I am having a hard time getting the star cam bolts off. The cheapo star wrench from autozone sheared.

BW

I just pulled the heads off of my 2k EJ22 after the t-belt slipped. The pass side cams turn smoothly w/o the lifters. The driver's side one is really hard to turn by hand.

Could the cam have bent when the piston hit the valves?[...]

A more common scenario is for a cam bearing to seize, which then causes the timing belt to slip.

[...] I am having a hard time getting the star cam bolts off. The cheapo star wrench from autozone sheared.

Are you referring to Torx plus (Torx+) cam cap screws? Are you trying to use a standard Torx bit?

EDIT: I think you need a Torx-plus 40 (but it's late for me to be awake, so someone please correct it if I got that wrong).

Edited by OB99W

I am in the middle of repairing an engine in a 2000 Impreza that had the belt come off.

The collision by the valves on the pistons was very minimal, but enough to bend every single valve. I think it unlikely the cam bent as a result- but possible. Bearing more likely. And if one is toast, others are probably close behind,

Just curious , do you know what caused the belt to slip? How many miles on the engine?

If I were to do it all again, I would pull the engine and replace it with a used one, after doing the T-belt on it.

Used engines are available pretty cheap. The cost of parts and labor to do the heads doesn't really make it worth it.

Could the cam have bent when the piston hit the valves?

I am having a hard time getting the star cam bolts off. The cheapo star wrench from autozone sheared.

BW

Thanks for all of the responses.

I figured that it was unlikely that the cam got bent.

I think that the cam bearing seized or got scored and the t-belt was thrown.

This was a partial engine rebuild. I used a rebuilt EJ25 shortblock w/the old ej22 heads and cometic headgaskets that were cut for this swap. there might have been a problem with the head gaskets and the oil ports to the cam bearing.

I tried looking on e-bay and stuff for cam bearings and I can't seem to find any.

Where else can I look besides that stealership?

BW