Ultimate Subaru Message Board

thoughts from the T cased guys

mellow65

so i wanted to throw an idea out and see if anyone would be truly interested in something..

I am having a guy build me a bell housing to mate the subaru EJ motor to a W series toyota transmission.

what this means is there would be a honest to god rwd trans option now and then also a true trans with T case from the 4 cylinder 4x4 toyota trucks.

he pretty much does this for a living, well kind of. in the Mitsubishi world he is known for making a 4g63 fwd/awd eclipse turbo motor bell housing to a toyota W series tranny and also the toyota R series trannys.

but we have been talking about him making me a one off, or making it so he could cast some.

i chopped down a subaru tranny and sent it off to him so he can make at least one. but i was wondering if there would be any real interest in something like this.

i think his 4g63 to W series tranny is $275, cheap for really what you're getting.

thoughts about this?

would anyone really be interested?

I'm having him make me one so i can run a RWD tranny for a little project that i have going on. and with no really good option for RWD with a subaru tranny i stumbled across him and talked to him about making at least one for me.

Edited by mellow65

The combo that we came up that will end up being the best set up, NA subaru flywheel, NA subaru pressure plate, subaru starter, NA subaru slave, NA subaru clutch fork, toyota disc.

The discs are pretty close to the same, so small of a difference that it won't matter and the nice thing is the subaru and toyota used the same pilet bearing, so that was one less thing to figure out. :grin:

This is of course to mount an EJ motor?

If there are more available I may want one.

(cough cough, read first post.:))

yes this would be to mount to a ej motor, and none have been made yet. when i first talked to him to bring up the idea he didn't think there would be much of an interest in something like this. that's why i told him i would send him what ever he needed to see if it was something he could even do.

from his last email he said it looked like it was very doable.

i'm not trying to rush the guy, he runs a little speed shop out east and he moves a little slow so i'm cool with that. i have seen stuff that he makes and if he could make anything close to what he has made in the past, it would be a work of art, and tough as nails. :)

for those that say, "it didn't happen if there's no pictures"

well got a couple today. nothing to fancy, but i asked him how it was coming along so he sent me a couple pics.

one thing we are running into is a throw out bearing. my thoughts of putting a supra throw out on the subaru clutch fork only worked in my head. so that's something we have to figure out.

enjoy :)

004.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

what is the consensus on cost as of right now?is he still on track with a few hundo?cheers, brian

honestly before i go put my foot in my mouth and claim these are going to be all super cheap, i'm going to wait a little longer and see how he gets along with this.

but when i hit him up awhile ago about his 4g63 bell housings he sent me a price of $275.

he's a cool old guy and he has always said that he likes to keep his stuff affordable. what's the point of making something if no one can buy it.

i will let you all know when we even get that close. :)

If it works out would we have to canibalize a Subaru transmission and send him a bell-housing section?

When I have thought about this in the past - it seemed from the research I had done - that the best choice would be a Nissan RWD transmission and divorced t-case setup since the Nissan's use a similar T/O bearing arrangement. In fact older Nissan's seem quite a bit closer in engineering design to Subaru than either Toyota or Honda. There's a number of things you can point to that are the same or almost the same - the Maxima alternator's for example - Nissan kept the design of the Maxima alternator compatible with the older Z car case design which was identical to what Subaru used. I know that you can use a Nissan truck T/O bearing on an EA81 transmission in order to match up with the EA82 pressure plate fingers.....

Just my thoughts based on what I've seen - maybe it will help with the toyota project or it's another possilibity for your guy to investigate maybe.....

GD

If it works out would we have to canibalize a Subaru transmission and send him a bell-housing section?

When I have thought about this in the past - it seemed from the research I had done - that the best choice would be a Nissan RWD transmission and divorced t-case setup since the Nissan's use a similar T/O bearing arrangement. In fact older Nissan's seem quite a bit closer in engineering design to Subaru than either Toyota or Honda. There's a number of things you can point to that are the same or almost the same - the Maxima alternator's for example - Nissan kept the design of the Maxima alternator compatible with the older Z car case design which was identical to what Subaru used. I know that you can use a Nissan truck T/O bearing on an EA81 transmission in order to match up with the EA82 pressure plate fingers.....

Just my thoughts based on what I've seen - maybe it will help with the toyota project or it's another possilibity for your guy to investigate maybe.....

GD

if this does all work out and he decided to make some, he casts full bell housings. so as in a bolt up deal. i sent him the tranny chunk to have something to start with. he's made stuff from scratch, but he says it's WAY more time consuming to do that.

i went with this set up for a couple reasons, one, this guy has been messing with adapting bell housings for toyota transmissions for awhile now. so he has tons of the hard work done. the part that mates to the tranny is already a pre cast piece that he has just sitting around. so take that, a chunk of subaru tranny, and BAM, rwd bell housing. well ok couple more steps in there, but you know what I mean. :)

second, just pure cost, i could have found some machine shop to make me something and do all the hard work to make whatever fit it, but it's going to cost me more then any car i own does. although i don't know what the final tally is going to be, he's always said he trys to keep stuff cheap. and with what his other stuff costs, i'm hoping it's going to be close.

so with those and maybe a couple other things i went this route.

i'm not saying a nissan wouldn't have been easier. but this guy doesn't do nissan tannys, he does toyotas, and so I will just make that work then.

i'm not saying a nissan wouldn't have been easier. but this guy doesn't do nissan tannys, he does toyotas, and so I will just make that work then.

Cool. If the price is decent I'm not at all against the idea. I mean - gear's for the Toy's are probably cheaper than for the Nissan or Samuria t-case's anyway since they are so commonly lifted and regeared.

If it's around the prices of his other stuff I'll definitely take one.

I have no idea what size/shape the yota tranny's are - will they fit up in the tunnel of an EA81 without dropping the drivetrain much? I imagine being a RWD tranny they are probably smaller than the Subaru transaxles eh?

GD

Cool. If the price is decent I'm not at all against the idea. I mean - gear's for the Toy's are probably cheaper than for the Nissan or Samuria t-case's anyway since they are so commonly lifted and regeared.

If it's around the prices of his other stuff I'll definitely take one.

I have no idea what size/shape the yota tranny's are - will they fit up in the tunnel of an EA81 without dropping the drivetrain much? I imagine being a RWD tranny they are probably smaller than the Subaru transaxles eh?

GD

oh i know, the after market for a toyota is unreal. that's why i'm going to swap a toyota 4x4 rear axle into my project. gear sets for under $200, lockers, LSDs, spools, chrome molly axles, OH MY!! :grin:

i have a w58 supra tranny minus bell housing sitting in my garage and a legacy one also, i could snap a couple of pics of them side by side and see what they look like. but if you're talking a 4x4 tranny, well you got to picture a transfer case hanging off the side

Hmmm... I could put a Supercharged 2.5 in my 85 Yota with this setup..... Or put the 2wd trans from our 81 into a Brat and make it a RWD drift machine road warrior... Im interested pending cost...

-Bill

if you could fit it between the frame rails that would be awesome. last i did a quick measurement they are about 31" valve cover to valve cover. not many engine bays would that fit into.

me and the bell housing guy were talking and when i brought up the 4x4 tranny he was like, oh just think of all the buggys you could build. eg33 powered buggy. that would be awesome.

• 4 weeks later...