Ultimate Subaru Message Board

There are a few posts on here that mention that there was an update to the timing belt tensioner bracket. I did a little research and it seems that somewhere around Feb/March of 2004 a new bracket came out. (And a updated tensioner was introduced in April 2002).

The explanation seems the be that the new bracket is designed to prevent the "knocking" noise.

Does anyone actually replace the bracket when doing a t-belt service? There doesn't seem to be an actual TSB for it. I'm gathering parts for my t-belt work and was curious; my local dealer doesn't stock the bracket so I assume they don't change them unless a customer requests it.

Thanks and cheers.

I've never heard of the bracket being replaced. I wasn't aware of the newer style tensioner either.

Given the lower reliability of the "new" style 96-2000+ tensioner as compared to the older style I'd be interested in this upgrade as well if possible. I never thought of the bracket being the issue since it's the hydraulic mechanism of the tensioner that typically fails, but who knows.

I've never heard of the bracket being replaced. I wasn't aware of the newer style tensioner either.

Given the lower reliability of the "new" style 96-2000+ tensioner as compared to the older style I'd be interested in this upgrade as well if possible. I never thought of the bracket being the issue since it's the hydraulic mechanism of the tensioner that typically fails, but who knows.

I seem to recall a thread somewhere that talked about a new style tensioner bracket that might have addressed the 96-2000 tensioners. Apparently the hyd tensioner could contact the bracket and it was suspected of causing damage to the newer style tensioner. It think the poster was going to go back to the old style two piece tensioner that was more reliable.

Can't remember where I read that though?

Here it is: http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-repair-seattle-timing-belt-idlers-explained/

They start talking about the tensioner at 2:40 and mention the superseded bracket at 4:15

Edited by Mike104

Good comments, thanks all. I actually emailed SOA and they were a bit confused about what I was talking about...

So... google led me to this TSB 02-93-04 (below). My read is that as long as you use an updated tensioner you shouldn't need an updated bracket unless you see wear (or are annoyed by the knocking noise). So I'll see how it looks when I take things apart. Will probably just keep the existing bracket.

Linky:

http://www.scoobymods.com/timing-belt-tensioner-04-t4813.html