Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Project 1982 Brat (Bobby meets Dirt) read last post

s'ko

• 2 weeks later...

Woohoo...

Got the A bar on :banana:

Had a little trouble b/c it was involved in an accident so the bar was pushed back alittle. Got the rear mount in place and then had to jack the rest in place. Home Depot supplied the brackets and bolts for the bumper mount.

I used Rust-o-Leum Appliance Epoxy paint. Really goes on nice and has a good strong finish. Probably going to find an old tire and cut two strips to mount across both horizontal bars so I can push things w/o messing up my paint and to hide this dent in the bar

Ohh also found some really nice seat from a 83 wagon and slapped it in there. All I need now for the interior is the vents. Anyone got vents for a 82 GL interior?

BW

BW

Almost ready for a paint job.

Now the question is.... what color should I paint it?

Should I return it to stock color, I think it's Reef blue.

Or should I paint it like my outback, with the two tone. Blue on top, gray on the bottom?

Thoughts comments opinions?

Thanks

BW

Stock is always nice - then you don't have to worry about the engine bay matching, and the door jams etc. I will be going with the stock color on my Brat (Marina Blue), but I have to say that if I had one of the truely nasty color's like the saffron yellow, or the baby dookie brown (rant: man, the word filter spoils ALL the fun!), I might have to reconsider that approach..... At that point I think I would go outragous, and probably paint it orange or yellow. Maybe use the old 60's mopar colors. Sublime with black accents, or Hugger Orange with black.... etc.

GD

• 3 weeks later...

Got the back seat in place.

Ended up going to Home Despot and buying to u-bolts with a 1/8 inch plate as a backing. Drilled thru the original leg stubs and then through the wimpy sheet metal bed. (I am amazed at how thin that sheet metal is. Took me longer to drill through the seat frame):rolleyes:

Looks sweet. Now all I need is a good paint job and some decent tires and I'll be ready to rock. Kinda considering keeping the thing for the street. Not sure right now.

Last pic is the Passenger side. Pic is bad quality but the rear wheel is how I want the rest of the wheels to look like

Bosco

• 2 weeks later...

Bob meets Dirt/mud/water :)

Took my BRAT to the local OHV park.

It handled great. Only got stuck twice. Once b/c I tried to go through some deep ruts and the other time when my friend backed into a rock.

Here are some pics.

One final word. I need a LIFT!!!! 13 inch M/S tires and stock lift = lots of banging around.

Ok after you get done looking for all of the above, then you can look for a nice turbo motor to drop into it preferably a turbo motor from a newer generation.

Auctions make great places to find great deals on motors.

Found a 2003 WRX , 6,300 some odd miles, wrecked of course, but still ran. only 7 thousand.

I am originally from Fairfax VA.

I use to wheel my Jeep a few miles away from my house in this huge wooded lot. The last time I was home it was turned into an apartment and a shopping center.

My bro knows of some powerline trails in Chantilly VA near Dulles. Then there is The George Washington forest in VA near Harrisonburg and Paragon park in PA.

Next time I am in town will probably be X-mas. May end up hi-jacking my brothers Jeep. Want to go wheeling?

Almost ready for a paint job.

Now the question is.... what color should I paint it?

Should I return it to stock color' date=' I think it's Reef blue.

Or should I paint it like my outback, with the two tone. Blue on top, gray on the bottom?

Thoughts comments opinions?

Thanks

BW[/quote']

That blue is hot; id repaint it that color!