Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

98 Forester Rear Drum Brake Upgrade???

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pearlm30

pearlm30

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Tampa, FL/ Bethlehem, PA

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:07 AM

Is it possible to upgrade the rear drum brakes of 98 Forester to disc brakes? Do I have to swap out the whole rear hub? If so what other model year fit?
Thanks for the help!

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,807 posts
  • WV

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:37 AM

yes, swap the entire rear hub assemblies. down south, no rust, should be easy. get the ebrake cables with the hubs as they are different. i think you can probably make it work but much simpler to just swap the cables too. this has been covered fairly well, so check out some other threads where it's been done.

almost any rear EJ hubs are going to interchange. like 1990-2004 and probably more. avoid SVX and late model WRX. you'll just want to make sure it's from a 4WD and ABS if you have ABS.

#3 hankosolder2

hankosolder2

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 689 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:35 AM

Are the drum brakes inadequate on the Forester? They usually last very well (b/c they don't have the same degree of constant pad drag that discs do) and are good for normal street driving. I think some folks prefer the pedal feel of an all disc setup (I don't, but that's just me.) Out of the three cars sitting in my driveway at the moment (A Subie with discs all round, a '91 BMW 3 series with discs all around and a Honda with Discs/Drums) the Honda has by far the best stopping distance, pedal feel etc. I suspect that a newer BMW with discs all around would be better yet, but.... anyway, I guess my point is that I wouldn't assume that a disc brake upgrade is going to make any great difference in your car's stopping abilities. Of course, if your drums are shot and you found a great deal on some used disc assys, have at it...

Nathan

#4 2.5_IMP

2.5_IMP

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • CP, MD

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:31 PM

When swapping from drums to discs, should the master cylinder from the donor car be used as well? I'm considering upgrading to 2.5RS or WRX rear disc brakes the next time the drums on my 2002 OBS need to be serviced.

#5 Durania

Durania

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,113 posts
  • Crossville, TN

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:30 PM

If going with a RS or WRX rear brake setup, go ahead and get the H6 rear brakes as they are the popular choice.

http://www.rs25.com/...s-brackets.html

#6 mdjdc

mdjdc

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,307 posts
  • Richmond

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:59 AM

Don't you just need the backing plate, disc and ebrake stuff. Why would you need the hub too? It seems to be overkill to me as the drum mounts on the hub you already have and so does the rotor.

I have a complete setup ready to be shipped and if the hub is needed I have that too plus the ebrake cable. I pulled it for someone, but he has fallen off the grid, so I don't know hawo to get in touch with him.

#7 subaru360

subaru360

has no catchy title

• Members
  • 1,282 posts
  • Fleetwood, PA

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:26 AM

If you don't get the whole hub, you have to press the bearings on and off to swap the backing plates. That's why most swap the complete hub.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users