So here is the way we did my bracket:
I only had my welder-friend's time for so long and, in our hurry, we made one really stupid mistake: the front should have been 1/2" higher than it is. It just barely squeezes in with the seats on. I'm not happy with that one part, but I'll come up with a good, permanent solution in the near future. For now, I have a piece of 1/2 inch oak cut and fitted under it (not pictured). I might weld in a piece of U channel, or just cut a piece of aluminum the right size to fit the full length, left to right? I also might just move the seats 1/2" closer to the center and weld in new nuts. Mulling, mulling, mulling...
There are 4 beefy bolts holding the whole thing down. And, the angle iron is from an old bed frame -- 1" X 1". It worked great except for the height screw-up in the front. 1 X 1.5" would be perfect!
Underneath is scrap 3/16" metal drilled through the center. We bolted the bracket down and then Mike welded it in place. Note that he did not weld all the way around. He said you don't want to do that with metal as thin as the bed because it increases the chance of cracking. And, if it does crack overtime, you don't want it to crack all the way around.
Once I am happy with the whole setup, I'm going to get the bracket powder coated and, perhaps the headrest sliders too.
Next, the brackets for the headrest at the bottom. Then, some type of bedliner.
Edited by bendecker, 29 March 2010 - 08:22 PM.