Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Timing chain?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rteeples

rteeples

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • SLC

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:41 AM

Does anyone know if the Legacy ever switched over to a timing chain instead of a belt?

Here's hoping...

#2 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:49 AM

Yup, the 3.0l H6's have chains. I belive the tribeca 3.5l do to.

#3 OB99W

OB99W

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,315 posts
  • Ithaca

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:08 AM

Yes, but it's not as if that eliminated the need for service. Ask anyone who has had to deal with the chain tensioners and/or guides.

#4 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,729 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:13 PM

The 6 bangers have them. And you still have to service them every 100k miles IIRC.

#5 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,562 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:49 PM

The 6 bangers have them. And you still have to service them every 100k miles IIRC.

No you dont.

http://www.cars101.c...aintenance.html

Camshaft Belt (timing belt) 2.5L 4 cylinder
(note: 6 cyls have timing chain, should not need replacement)

#6 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:04 PM

the failure point on a CHAIN is the idlers, pulleys, and sprockets that hold the gears to the chain.
I have seen many timing chain cars and the sprockets centers are plastic and fail, not sure if the subaru timing spocket is plastis or what, but yeah there is not much more benefit. T-belts have a life span, as do the pulleys, bearings etc.

#7 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,729 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:43 PM

No you dont.

http://www.cars101.c...aintenance.html

Camshaft Belt (timing belt) 2.5L 4 cylinder
(note: 6 cyls have timing chain, should not need replacement)

You may not need to replace the chain itself, but the tensioner assemblies do wear with mileage, as do the sprockets, and any idlers or guides that may be used (especially if plastic parts are used).

It's good practice to replace tensioners and other chain guide components and at least check the chain for wear every 100k miles, even if Subaru doesn't say you need to. Does Subaru say to just replace the water pump, oil pump, tensioner or idlers for the belt engines?

#8 The Dude

The Dude

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 800 posts
  • South Carolina

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:54 AM

My GF's Chrysler had a timing chain. She thought that wouldn't have timing chain problems for a good long time. She may have been right, but at 70,000 miles the water pump failed. Just as in a Subaru, the timing belt/chain had to be removed to change the water pump. That was one very, very expensive water pump failure. She still doesn't like talking about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users