Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

If it has yellow paint marks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 12 February 2004 - 03:50 PM

on the engine it might have been in a junkyard at some time. They often mark bits with yellow paint.

#2 myles

myles

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • New York

Posted 12 February 2004 - 03:54 PM

Originally posted by cookie
on the engine it might have been in a junkyard at some time. They often mark bits with yellow paint.

Not necessarily. My '02 Legacy (purchased new) had yellow paint marks on the dipstick handle, power steering reservoir lid, coolant expansion tank lid, etc. I suppose this indicated that that item was checked (either at the factory, or during the dealer prep.).

#3 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 12 February 2004 - 04:01 PM

My BMW has little paints marks where the last guy checked the torques.
If the engine came from a wrecking yard as a core to rebuild that could also explain that.
My forester has no marks.

#4 newsooby

newsooby

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Massachusetts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 09:33 PM

Do you have a dab of color, or, colored lettering and numbers on the engine block?

I asked the service manager at my dealer what the paint dabs were all about (yellow and sometimes orange) and he said they indicate two things -- inspection marks from the manufacturer's inspection (if it has a mark, it's been inspected). And/or, inspection marks from the dealership when inspecting and prepping a used car for sale (usually a different color).

Number and letters?! Could indicate the block came from a junkyard, or has been remanufactured?!?! I don't know much about aftermarket/replacement engines (and hope I never need to find out the hard way!!)

#5 WagonsOnly

WagonsOnly

Now only WagonsMostly.

• Members
  • 1,475 posts
  • North Central CT

Posted 14 February 2004 - 04:52 AM

My Forester has orange marks, from the prep-for-sale the dealer gave it. (It sat on the lot from October until April...no one wanted a 5sp, I guess.) The marks read "Svce Lvl IV 27 OCT 02 47K". The car was purchased with maintenance records indicating the dealer did the 60K maintenance 13K early, minus the air filter and timing belts (not until 105K on the Phase II anyway).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users