Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If it has yellow paint marks

Originally posted by cookie

on the engine it might have been in a junkyard at some time. They often mark bits with yellow paint.

Not necessarily. My '02 Legacy (purchased new) had yellow paint marks on the dipstick handle, power steering reservoir lid, coolant expansion tank lid, etc. I suppose this indicated that that item was checked (either at the factory, or during the dealer prep.).

Do you have a dab of color, or, colored lettering and numbers on the engine block?

I asked the service manager at my dealer what the paint dabs were all about (yellow and sometimes orange) and he said they indicate two things -- inspection marks from the manufacturer's inspection (if it has a mark, it's been inspected). And/or, inspection marks from the dealership when inspecting and prepping a used car for sale (usually a different color).

Number and letters?! Could indicate the block came from a junkyard, or has been remanufactured?!?! I don't know much about aftermarket/replacement engines (and hope I never need to find out the hard way!!)

My Forester has orange marks, from the prep-for-sale the dealer gave it. (It sat on the lot from October until April...no one wanted a 5sp, I guess.) The marks read "Svce Lvl IV 27 OCT 02 47K". The car was purchased with maintenance records indicating the dealer did the 60K maintenance 13K early, minus the air filter and timing belts (not until 105K on the Phase II anyway).