Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fuel pump noise?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Suba9792

Suba9792

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • Sandy,OR

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:56 PM

So, I'm fairly sure about this, my 92 loyale has a humming from the back, to me it sounds like the fuel pump, I have had built chevs in the past that have loud fuel pumps and it sounds alot like them! is this normal? it's not hesitating at all or any obvious fuel loss, should I replace it?:banghead:

Wanted: Pug 14" 4x140mm steelies or alloys with nuts.

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:27 PM

The SPFI pumps tend to make a whirring noise when running. It's pretty much normal. Most of them do that. They can fail but it's rare. Mostly they either last till the end of the car or in some parts of the country folks have problems with the surge pot on the end rusting out if exposed to too much salt.

They are also VERY expensive for a direct-fit replacement. If you have to replace it there are a number of posts about some Ford F-150 pumps that will work as an alternative.

GD

#3 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:34 PM

the fuel pump "buzzing" is more than a hum even on my 85 BRAT.
oh well, it is telling me the car is on. lol since mine is quiet exhaust.
the sound is comparible to a microwave oven when on high cooking something.

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:12 PM

the fuel pump "buzzing" is more than a hum even on my 85 BRAT.

That is a completely different pump, but they are also noisy. It's a solenoid style pump so they are naturally going to make a rapid clicking noise. Sounds a bit like a helicopter.

GD

#5 kerandt

kerandt

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Missoula, MT

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:31 PM

Have a '91 Loyale and also a '93. Both have fuel pumps that are quite audible. The '93 had a bad pump when I got it. Sometimes It would start and other times it wouldn't. I ended up just getting another used one off of Craigslist. Seems someone is always parting out a Soob. They're easy to get and easy to change. Might just see how long it lasts and carry a spare?

#6 PlaneDriver

PlaneDriver

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Tucson, AZ

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:39 PM

The fuel pump on my '89 RX sounds like a mosquito (buzzing) after the car has been running for than 15 minutes, especially when it's hot out. It has done this off and on for a while so I'm not extremely worried, but if this is a sign of impending failure, I would like to take care of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users