Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have 1996 Legacy 4WD that has badly rusted tubes coming out of the fuel pump. I have a 2000 Forester that was doing very well until my daughter smacked it into a tree. The fuel pump and housing will fit in the 1996 but the nuts on the 1996 are badly rusted. I am thinking of taking the tank off the 2000 and putting it on the 1996. Will this work? Also, will the rear end on the 2000 fit on the 1996? This includes the cross member and suspension parts. The 1996 is disk brakes and the 2000 is drum. Thanks

Maybe not the shape but the position and number of hoses for the evap system, the filler neck. The little things are what might make it work or not work. If you want to, drop both tanks and compare them side by side to see what (if any) differences there are, and what you might be able to do to make it work.

I have 1996 Legacy 4WD that has badly rusted tubes coming out of the fuel pump. I have a 2000 Forester that was doing very well until my daughter smacked it into a tree. The fuel pump and housing will fit in the 1996 but the nuts on the 1996 are badly rusted. I am thinking of taking the tank off the 2000 and putting it on the 1996. Will this work? Also, will the rear end on the 2000 fit on the 1996? This includes the cross member and suspension parts. The 1996 is disk brakes and the 2000 is drum. Thanks

I believe you will run into multiple problems with the fact that the Forester is

Impreza based, not Legacy based.

So some of your bolts, if not all of them, may not line up.

You also have to take into consideration the floor shape, the shape of the

tanks the location of your hoses (as was mentioned by Fairtax), and all the little things that were already mentioned by Fairtax.

And as for the rear end fitting, I'm not too sure, I think the wheel base is

different.

You may have an issue getting your mounts to line up for the crossmember.

I know the struts will fit, with minor modification.

But as for anything else, I'm not sure.

Twitch

• 3 months later...

I took the rear end off, struts and all, of both the 2000 Forester and the 1996 Legacy outback and the gas tanks out. The Rear end of the Forester fit just perfectly in the 96 Legacy outback as well as the gas tank. I had to change the hoses on the tank around a little but in all it work out very well. Even the rear brake line were exactly the same. No bending was needed.

I took the rear end off, struts and all, of both the 2000 Forester and the 1996 Legacy outback and the gas tanks out. The Rear end of the Forester fit just perfectly in the 96 Legacy outback as well as the gas tank. I had to change the hoses on the tank around a little but in all it work out very well. Even the rear brake line were exactly the same. No bending was needed.

that's subaru for you. gotta love 'em.

That's great to know! Glad you got it all hooked up.

Nice to know we have people willing to use their cars for guinea pigs every now and then. :banana:

I didn't think the Imprezas were that much different than the older Legacys. This means we have more options for parts now. :grin: