Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wide range of Prices for my Garage!

RallyKeith

It amazes me the vast differences in the prices I'm getting for the garage I'm trying to build. I've been "shopping around" for a few weeks now. Meeting with contractors, construction companies, and shed manufacturers. With very few variations in final product, I've got prices from about $14,000 to $34,000! That's quite a swing. I've even worked out that I can pay someone for the site and pad work, buy a garage "kit" and build it myself for about $12,000. Decisions Decisions

As a carpenter, I could suggest you try to find a local carpenter you trust to build it. The price game has some high stakes involved. Usually a bid is a guess on building costs plus 60% for profit and overruns. A pad can be had cheap with the specifications on your local building code. (Insulation, water table adjustments, footings ect.) Its like a grand a 10 yard concrete truck delivery here. Gravel and insulation a grand or two depending on the size of your garage pad. Your local union guys that are out of work love that kind of side work and are usually happy to give you a deal and the best work. I love watching union d-wallers and tapers. They have wings, ya know!

Building materials have dropped almost 50% but I'll bet your quotes havent noticed. Plumbing and electrical can be expensive and should be set up before you pour. Installation is your biggest problem labor wise. You get what you pay for and you pay double for "contractor services". I run a one man show myself an I have work coming out my ears because I have no overhead or employees and I don't bid. Just hourly and tool expense. For example, four walls and a papered roof should be up in a week max, by me and one buddy, weather withholding. Interior and siding is where you can spend money, you have to look at it ya know. Thats all I can give ya without a plan to look at.

Keep your money local, it will reinvest itself in your local neighborhood.

Thanks for the input. My cousin started his own basement finishing and remodeling buisness last year. He's currently looking at the project. I found a local place that will sell me a kit of all the lumber, doors, windows, siding, and roofing for $8400. I just need to get the pad done and put it together. While I'm no framer by trade, I don't think it's anything I and my friends that are in construction and electrical couldn't handle. We would just take a little longer... but maybe not if I get 6-7 guys. Anyhow, I do have the luxury of living in the heart of "Amish country". I've got "Amish Shed" builders everywhere I turn. Right now they are the place where I think I could get everything for around $15000. It all boils down to what's my time worth. I don't exactly have a ton of time on my hands. I can do so much of this on my own or with the help of friends and family, but what price do you put on the month or two of time I could be doing other things.

I guess thats where the carpenter you "trust" comes in. I know, in "this" world we live in? Ya know, you live in an area where carpentry is, or can be, (I should say) an art. More carpenters live by that,... rule, (you could call it) east, than anywhere west. Time could be your issue. I'd like to think, "What would I rather be doing?" But I"m a carpenter who is always working on "other peoples" stuff and not my own.

and concrete prices are different everywhere.most likely more expensive where you are.

there are different admixtures that are used in different parts of the country for the mix.....

it is very important that understand that.you can not compare concrete from one side of the country to the other.

i wish i was closer,i'd do it for you........cheers,brian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Construction is the biggest pain the the azz on earth! A good number of the people in the industry will do sub-par work for top dollar unless your right up their azz the whole time. Heck on some areas it's easier/faster to learn how to do it and just do it yourself lol

I'm doing quite a bit right work on my place right now. Shop around, actually go and see their work, make sure they are licensed and bonded (other wise you have little recourse if they F up and dont have the money for you to re-coup in a lawsuit).

Replacement value in my area is about $350 a sqft, might be a good number for your project.

I know costs will vary by location, sometimes a great deal...

that said, we put up a 3 car, 30' x 36' garage about 6 years ago - we had the grading & concrete work done by the pros with full 1/2" rebar thruout - none of the wire mesh that so many use - as we have a very high clay content so lots of "movement" of the ground between summer & winter - so far no cracks. Concrete costs (in rural WI) came in just under $3000.

The truck was pretty cool - the materials were mixed right on site as it was needed - NO waste!

the rest of the structure we did ourselves (myself & the other half) we did get a few friends to help put up the trusses, but otherwise it was just us. the whole thing was up and enclosed in about 3 weeks working evenings and weekends - materials cost us around another $3000 +/- (it was 6 yrs ago after all) Getting all the siding up was a little longer, but again, we did it ourselves on weekends and such

Tools to make the job easier - maybe another $3-400. we are talking about air powered framing nailer and roofing nailer, battery powered drill/driver and a few other odds & ends.

Still need to finish the electrical work (have to hire an electrician for some of that by law) but it isnt that far away from being done - if only we had the money for that electrician!

total costs for the whole project to date - about $6500. having 1080sq ft of space for cars, bikes, tools and whatever else - priceless!

pretty much what they've all said - you get what you pay for is true but you really do want an honest person/company as there's plenty of shady people around. high end quotes can be places that are booked and don't have problems getting jobs - they quote high if they don't get it, it's no loss, if they do it's huge profits.

truss companies will sell you trusses, contact them with your needs and buy direct from them. setting trusses will require help or crane rental if they're large.

if you minimize your truss loading you'll be underdesigned for any storage, some places will space the trusses to reduce costs, but this also reduces capacity and safety.

drywall and ceiling is rather easy to do yourself and could save some cash if you wanted to do some sweat on it.

good luck, sounds like fun!