Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Decent replacement for wheel well plastic

After searching high and low for an OEM replacement, I tried some U-channel rubber from McMaster Carr. Works pretty well. The only problem with it is the bottom of the "U" is too thick -- nothing a really sharp knife and a block of wood screwed to some plywood couldn't tackle (as in pull it through like cutting leather strips).

8507K42 Rubber U-Channel

Not a perfect replacement, but looks really good to the non-trained eye:

IMG_2059_edited-1.jpg

BTW, the best thing I've found for pounding out the little dents in the metal pieces is a horse shoe!

I use the side of the very top part of the "U", which I ground to a nice smooth surface and a really small tack hammer.

Just put the metal down on a fairly hard and thick rubber sheet (I used our front door mat), put the side of the horse shoe into the metal and then hit the other side of the "U" on the shoe. Most importantly -- take your time! Many small taps while moving the shoe around makes the dents come out easily and smoothly.

After the dents were out to my liking, I sanded lightly too get rid of the scratches and used progressively finer sand paper. Finally, I used a very fine steel wool with WD-40 on it to finish things off. Someday, I might get them fully polished, but this is not a show car and they look great compared to the dented mess I had before.

Edited by bendecker