Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to Subaru. Some questions.

I just got 1999 Legacy Outback last week. It is a great car. It did not come with the oweners manual unfortunately. Please help me on the following questions.

1. What gasoline (87, 89, or 91) should I use?

2. What oil should I use? The dealer recommended 10W-30. I live in Central CA.

3. If I need to put chain on the car, does it have to be on the front or the rear? May be I don't have to at all. But, I plan to drive on snow and ice. The car has automatic transmission.

4. I noticed some vibration on the engine at around 2000rpm (either warm or cold on the engine temp). What do you think?

Thank you very much in advance.

87 will be fine, some notice improved mileage on higher octane but it isn't neccessary

10w30 is fine, if in colder climate 5w30 is advisable in winter months

if it's only a slight vibration/drone i wouldn't worry about it, probably just the boxer characteristics kicking in that you are not used to

hope you enjoy your car:D

Guest lothar34

I bought my Forester at CarMax without an owner's manual. They gave me the name of a place that sells owner's manuals, but for the life of me I can't remember it. It's a good thing to have (and they did reimburse me for it).

You need a set of chains for decoration purpose.

Road will be blocked long before your Subaru AWD needs chain. And in small amount of snow, AWD cars do not need chain.

At least that is what I experienced while driving around lake Tahoe in winter. YMMV.

If I had to put a set of chain, I'd put them in front. AT AWD transfer 90% of torque to front wheels until computer notices slipping tire.

Don't put chains on an outback. Totally unnecessary and it may cause damage. The tires are pretty close to the spring cones on the struts. Get a good set of snow tires instead. Putting chains only on the front could also damage the transmission.

10w-30 sounds like the ideal oil for your climate.

The vibration is probably normal, these H4 engines are not the smoothest.

I live in Fresno too..I have a 2004 Legacy wagon.

I use 87 octane in the H-4...seems to do well, burned a higher octane once and performance/mileage increased a bit to.

I use 10W-30 here in the valley...fine so far, also what the dealer/manual recommended.

As for the vibration, it could be the flat engine...it is a bit different from other cars...if you are really worried go to a credit union and buy the extended warranty...could be worth it.

I haven't needed to put chains on in the hills above us here, that includes shaver and Kings canyon. I was up in shaver right after christmas with those huge storms, car did great, no chains were needed for me and they let me drive on by and I plowed through snow banks to get into the driveway. For a legacy you can put chains on the front...outbacks chains aren't advised. If you are going to do a ton winter driving get some snow tires...we go up on the weekends and are fine with the stock tires, just an all season.

Also, I think there is some warranty work you are eligible for having to do with the head gasket...call up Herwaldt Subaru and ask them...it is a recall or something. Other people on this board know more than me on that.

Have fun!

Thank you very much for the information.

Talking about the chain, when we went to Yosemite last time before we bought this Outback, it was required on HWY41 and in the park. There were several inspection points. Of course, we had chains on FWD car. So, we were fine.

But, we saw a few 4WD/AWD people having tough time at the inspetion point saying their cars/trucks were not allowed to have chains mounted on the wheels per the owener's manual.

We had to go. So, I don't know how they did.

I am just wondering we are going to run into the same situation in the future.

Yes. I like my Outback very much. It is my first car with H4 and also with AWD. I am learning about the car a lot.

Thanks again.