Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Else Should I Do While The Engine/Tranny Is Pulled?

Alrighty... looks like this time, my project will actually have a hope of starting off (and being completed).

Basically, because of the help Meeky Moose gave me, (Awesome guy, btw... if he ever needs a personal recommendation, he's got it from me), I've found a Loyale chassis that's relatively rust free (at least to NY standards).

So what I plan on doing is pulling my engine & drivetrain (right 'til the rear half of the driveshaft, or rear diff, depending on what Meeky Moose has taken for his project) out of my Loyale, and slapping it into the new chassis, along with all the related parts I need.

At some point along this, obviously, I'm going to have the engine and the tranny outside of the car, where it should be a lot easier to work on things.

My engine & drivetrain has 226k miles on her, though, so I figured I may as well get some important stuff done while I've got it out.

First thing I plan on picking up is a FSM, so I've got a better clue about what I'm doing when I'm doing it, and not trying to figure the proper way of doing it while I'm doing it.

After that, I plan on doing the following:

1. Normal tune-up stuiff. Plugs, spark plug wires, filters, etc.

2. Oil pump replacement. I suppose I could pull it, see how bad the pump is, and possibly reseal it, but I'd feel better with a brand new pump in there. Just to be safe, ya know?

3. Clutch. May as well, since I've got everything apart, and I'll eventually have to replace it anyhow. No clue when it was last replaced. But should I replace just the clutch disk, or pick up a clutch set (Disc, Pressure Plate, Throw-out Bearing, Pilot Bearing/Bushing & Alignment Tool; according to PartsAmerica.com)? That clutch set's rather expensive, though... five times more than just the clutch itself.

4. Rear main seal... got it apart, may as well... heard if you're doing the clutch, may as well get this out of the way also.

5. Timing belts. No clue when these were last done.

6. Accessory belts.

7. Gonna pull off the oil pan, and see what crud/build-up I can clean out of it... gonna reseal it, too.

8. Gonna have to replace the exhaust studs, too, when I pull the exhaust off. They're really bad.

Anything else I'm missing, that I ought to get done while it's out? Does anybody have any opinions on sources for parts? I'm gonna do a bit of searching online regardless, but I'm open to suggestions. Once I've got a game plan, I can start planning how much money I'm going to need for parts and how much time I'm going to need to get all this done.

check the seal on the input shaft in the trans. do the rear main seal while the motor is apart from the tranny. do the cam seals, camcovers, front seal

if the pressure plate isnt grooved or has heat marks, a clutch disc itself will do ya. make sure the throwout bearing spins nicely

a couple items not mentioned

you should look closely at are the idler pulley bearings for the Tbelts.

This number of miles they could be ready.

Didn't see the water pump mentioned (two different shaft lengths make sure you get the correct one)

Small clips for the throw out bearing to clutch fork arm.

and

You may want to thrown in a new set of pressure relief springs for the lifter gallerys. (bout 5 bucks cheap).

Keep an eye on the cam case 0 ring. I like to glue mine in place with grease.

Good luck, sounds like you'll do just fine.

I'm just worried about time constraints, at this point... at most, I'll probably have a week or so to get the chassis, pull everything out of my Loyale, do any work I want to do while I've got it apart, then put it back together. Depending on what happens after my wife graduates in May, I might be able to have time to pull the engine/tranny again during late summer, so I could set priorities.

Originally posted by Meeky Moose

pics will be comin to ya today, drivers side has more jungle rot thatn i thought, but i'll let you judge it.. will take pics of the hole thing.. its really just sheetmetal.. the frame rails and such are perfect..

That's awesome. I can deal with sheetmetal for the time being... found out there's a guy down at work who dirt races, and he might have a connection to someone with a mig welder. If not, I might just try that drill, rivet, bondo, prime, paint trick in the USRM, depending on how bad it is. If the car structurally is good, I'm happy ;o).

i got the pics on teh camera, but this 56k is sloow.. so it'll be tomorrow before ya get'em..

the place where the jack goes, is a big hole.. same on the other side in the little compartment..

front fender has holes in the lower sides.. but fenders are easy to replace..

rocker panels looked decent..

underbelly had 0 rust..