Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1976 Subaru GF Hardtop

Hi Folks. I have owned the above car for 30 years and I still don't know what the "F" in "GF" stands for. I know what GT, GSR, GS stand for but GF has me stumped. I'm hoping someone here may know. :rolleyes:

Regards, Howard

I am not sure you will get an answer to that question!

To be pedantic the hardtop was called either a GFT or GF. According to my Japanese sales brochures a GFT was the 'high-line' model and the GF 'low-line'

My original thinking was the 'F' related to the Five speed transmission but this does not make sense as you could get a GF with either 4, 5 speeds or an automatic in Japan.

Do you have any more information on you GF?

Lee

Me again. With the GFT the "T" stood for Twin Carby version whereas my GF had a single twin choke carby. I also have the twin carby manifold which has been on from time to time, but I currently have a twin choke downdraft Weber on a modified single carb manifold. I also have modified GSR Heads and an extractor exhaust system. But I would love to Know what the "F" stands for. Perhaps "Great Fun" or "Goes Faster" as you suggest. :)

That would make sense about the GFT. The early hardtops in Oz had the 1400 twin carb engine but once the 1600 was released no more twin carb!

Would love to see photos of your GF! I have just recently purcased a GSR (which needs complete restoration) so will be using a later 1400 GFT engine (without the 'wet' cylinder liners) and the GSR dual port heads.

Did you have to get the extractor exhaust made up? This is the one componet missing from my GSR project as the GL coupes (I have several as spares!) did not have the same exhaust system.

Lee

Hi Leeroy. Yes I had the exhaust fabricated on the car. It sounds great. I was lucky enough to buy 2 new GSR heads some years ago when they were clearing out old stock for $100.00 each. I also got the last GSR cam from Japan or so they said. The heads were modified by Eddie Woods but the compression was still too high and took its toll on the bottom end, so I have a rebuild coming up and I'll look at shaving a bit off the pistons. It's great that you are restoring a GSR, a friend of mine had one but it was written off when a couple of young guys stole and crashed it. I hear that good GSRs are very collectible. I'll look at posting a picture sometile soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Arno i dont suppose you need new window gaskets front and rear? I have a set i bought incorrectly thinking they were for my year car but are not. I would have PM'd you about this but it seems i cant? Anyways they are brand new only taken out of the bag to verify that they were wrong. Let me know. They were 250 shipped.

Hello Hatchsub,

You are sure that the gaskets are for my car ?

They are labeled for a GFT leone coupe. Bells should have range when i read that but i just assumed that they would work for mine. Im working on making sure they are for that model and also finding out what other models they fit. The company i bought them from said mid 70s 1800 GFT subaru which is what you have i think correct?

If your really serious and want to email me some close up pictures of both windows specifically the corners of the gaskets that would help in identifying positively if these are for that model car.

Hi Arno. Sorry I hadn't replied but I've been away for a week. I hadn't thought of that, perhaps it does stand for "Front".

As for the front and rear window seals, in Australia at least the only 1800 motors were fitted to the later style rounded Leonie body from 1979 onwards so I'm sure that they wouldn't fit ours.

Yours has much more prominent looking bumper bars than mine because of the American Regulations at the time but otherwise it's the same except for the colour. Mine is "Gracious Brown"!

I've had mine since 1980 and my wife tells people that she is second in my affections to it. Not true of course but it is a close run thing. :)

Edited by howpow

Hello,

Here is my 1976 Subaru GFT Coupe Hardtop. I have the EA63 with two carbs.

I think the "F" is for Front wheel drive.

show_img.php?img=3c95d9-1271414311.jpg&size=thumb

show_img.php?img=531472-1271414378.jpg&size=thumb

regards

Arno

Arno, That is one beautiful "Goes Fast" Leone. Are there many still out there? I had a 76 DL 1.4L as my first car and loved it. I just never see any of the pre 1980 subbies anymore. Would love to buy your with the rest of the world.

Jesse

Hi jturley. I don't know how many are left in the US but here in Australia mine is the only one I've seen for 7 or 8 years. I saw a '77 Wagon a few years ago and a 73? GSR at a wreckers a few years back but that's about it.

I also have an '87 XT Turbo (Vortex) coupe and they are also getting very thin on the ground. It's nice to see people at this message board keeping some of them going for posterity. :)

Hi jturley. I don't know how many are left in the US but here in Australia mine is the only one I've seen for 7 or 8 years. I saw a '77 Wagon a few years ago and a 73? GSR at a wreckers a few years back but that's about it.

I also have an '87 XT Turbo (Vortex) coupe and they are also getting very thin on the ground. It's nice to see people at this message board keeping some of them going for posterity. :)

In NZ theres a few.

I own a 1973 1400 GSR, 1973 GL1400, 1974 DL.

The GL is spare parts car. GSR needs a restoration and my DL is Rd legal runner.

Yup I also love the Vortex. I have a 1989 Vortex 6

Hi Kiwi Subbie. I was in NZ some years back and was amazed at the car models you have there compared to Australia. We never got the Vortex 6 and only imported about 800 XT/Vortexs between '85 to '89. A friend of mine had a GSR which was a great little car but it was stolen and crashed. Anyhow good to see a true enthusiast in my part of the world.

Hey howpow I am a 'little' closer to you and have in my possession the following;

1974 GSR - Basically a shell

1974 GL coupes x 2 - These will be used as parts for the GSR

1974 DL sedan - This is registered and used daily. I really should post pics!

1978 4WD station wagon - My first Subie and I will never sell it!

Have also just finished stripping a 1976 GL coupe which is now gone. (My daily driver is a 1987 RX Turbo but that does not really fit with this thread!)

The biggest killer for the early Subarus is rust! So many have terminal rust in the cowl panel area (under the dash and in behind the spare wheel) they have all been put to rest years ago.

Now I have the 'elusive' GSR I suppose I am now on the hunt for the GFT five speed manual transmission! Where I live there used to be 3 1400 GFT's, now they are long gone... Damn I should have bought them when I could!

Hi Kiwi Subbie. I was in NZ some years back and was amazed at the car models you have there compared to Australia. We never got the Vortex 6 and only imported about 800 XT/Vortexs between '85 to '89. A friend of mine had a GSR which was a great little car but it was stolen and crashed. Anyhow good to see a true enthusiast in my part of the world.

My Vortex 6s are only trial cars. We only got a few here in nz.

Hi Leeroy. So, you have have all the old Subies in Oz :)

I know of the rust problem, my friend with the GSR did a lot of fibregassing around that area to keep the water out. I've been OK in that repect because when I bought the car in 1980 I tackled all the vulnerable areas with liberal amounts of fishoil. It smelt pretty bad for a while but achieved the desired result. The only rust I have is under the back seat on the drivers side and that was only because the plastic skin under the trim panel got torn in an accident and the panel beaters didn't bother to replace it, so the water was able to flow in.

Anyhow good luck with your project. BTW I have a couple of GSR badges kicking around somewhere if you are need one.

Hi kiwi subbie. I have one of each but I wan't to keep one (I don't mind which) and as I made the offer to Leeroy first I'll need to wait and see if he wants one. I haven't seen them for a while but I'll have a look for them in the next day or so. If Leeroy doesn't need one then your next on the list.

Hi kiwi subbie. I have one of each but I wan't to keep one (I don't mind which) and as I made the offer to Leeroy first I'll need to wait and see if he wants one. I haven't seen them for a while but I'll have a look for them in the next day or so. If Leeroy doesn't need one then your next on the list.

Yup sweet as dude. Give me a pm if hes not after one.

• 9 months later...

Just an update, i came across a 76 gf hardtop yesterdy saterday for sale, going to call the guy up tomorrow sunday and mst probably if all is ok pick it up early next week, but if i dont would anyone else be interested, the car is in victoria

Cheers Thierry

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Folks. I have owned the above car for 30 years and I still don't know what the "F" in "GF" stands for. I know what GT, GSR, GS stand for but GF has me stumped. I'm hoping someone here may know. :rolleyes:

Regards, Howard

I've learned that they sometimes liked to pick a certain letter just as a designation for a driveline... It may not stand for anything except the letter itself that denotes certain options...

my guess would be the drive position, it is customary in Japan to refer to the engine and drive setup as...

FF front engine - front drive

FR frong engine - rear drive

RR rear engine - rear drive

But then again, they might have decided it just needed another letter!

Hello,

Here is my 1976 Subaru GFT Coupe Hardtop. I have the EA63 with two carbs.

I think the "F" is for Front wheel drive....

regards

Arno

*nodding in agreement*

I'm curious about your car, are those fender flares stock? I found a 1975/1976 Coupe in a barn, it not only has fender flares, but has a trunk lip (duck tail spoiler) as well... I should put up some pictures of it! It's so strange, and has an AWD driveline and a Manual Dual Range gearbox and I think a 1.6 or 1.8L engine that someone put into it... With flip up Brat style sunroofs...

Any idea if these fender flares make this a rare car?