Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 GL D/R Wagon - Another EJ Swap

Trevor

Just got my adapter from SJR and I am getting ready to start my swap. I have a new clutch kit for an 87 and an entire 91 Legacy donor. I have already removed the motor and every bit of wiring from the Legacy including cruise, fuse block and engine harness (I know I will not need it all). I have done several VW motor swaps but this will be the first Subaru swap for me. Anyone have any helpful hints? Anything else I will be needing? I have read the EJ swap 2.0 PDF. The wiring is somewhat unclear to me.

photo-127.jpg

Edited by Trevor

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man,

Ready my sticky, still work in progress but 95% there.

So begins my 87' 4wd wagon EJ22 swap

Read it last night :) I'd love to see your notes on the harness. Any luck with your running issue?

BTW: Love the Beetle

Motor is mounted up. It was hard to find the proper clutch though. My local parts store could not find the proper kit. We ended up using the TO Bearing and disc from a legacy kit and the pressure plate for a loyale. :-\ Now onto plumbing, wiring, fuel and exhaust :banana:(I like the dancing banana)

photo-138.jpg

photo-137.jpg

photo-139.jpg

Made some great progress the last few days. Cooling system is done, fuel is connected, power steering is good to go, clutch and throttle work, and I rigged an intake for it. All thats left are the electronics and exhaust (the hard parts). :)

photo-140.jpg

Made some great progress the last few days. Cooling system is done, fuel is connected, power steering is good to go, clutch and throttle work, and I rigged an intake for it. All thats left are the electronics and exhaust (the hard parts). :)

photo-140.jpg

Cool. What did you do for the radiator hoses? Sorry if the pic shows it...my work blocks photobucket.

Jacob

Cool. What did you do for the radiator hoses? Sorry if the pic shows it...my work blocks photobucket.

Jacob

Well, I'm not really sure how well this is going to work. But, I used a portion of the EA hose and slid the EJ hose over it with a short piece of pipe inside of the EA hose for rigidity so I could use hose clamps over all three pieces. We shall see if it will hold, if not I will be back to the drawing board.

There will be differences, but mostly only in parts like the ecu, injectors, maf, etc. The harness itself should work, if you have the same number of plugs between the engine harness and the rest. Should being the key word...I'd keep looking for the same year preferably.

Well, I'm not really sure how well this is going to work. But, I used a portion of the EA hose and slid the EJ hose over it with a short piece of pipe inside of the EA hose for rigidity so I could use hose clamps over all three pieces. We shall see if it will hold, if not I will be back to the drawing board.

I did this when putting a 4-cyl radiator in my XT6 last fall. it has held great since then.

and yea, the '91 wiring will be virtually identical to the '92. you might noticed different plug shapes between the bulkhead and engine harness (the plugs by the battery), but the ECU pinout is the same, and the wires all do the same thing.

90, and 91 engine harness has 3 connectors where it connects to the body harness.

92-94 has only 2 connectors.

All the wires are the same with respect to function, they just go through more connectors on the early harness.

If you can get ALL the 92 wiring, you could swap the 92 engine harness onto the engine you have, easiest solution I can see. Injectors and all other sensors will plug in directly.

Otherwise, you could cut and splice the wires to match.

If you can get ALL the 92 wiring, you could swap the 92 engine harness onto the engine you have, easiest solution I can see. Injectors and all other sensors will plug in directly.

I had to do this on my rig, as the harness was 90-91, and the engine a 94. Works fine, but you will have to pull the intake manifold to swap out the engine harness. Easily done on the EJ, though...the EA bolts can get really seized up.

So my donor car is a 91 and I can only find wiring for a 92. Can anyone tell me if there are any differences between these two years? I am hoping for a test start and maybe a drive around the block this weekend :)

Oops.... I just realized that I worded this wrong. Sorry.

What I meant to say, is that I can only find wiring diagrams for a 92. My donor car is a 91, and yes it does have 3 connectors at the drivers side of the engine just above the valve cover. My problem is that I am having a difficult time finding any diagrams for 91, and the info that I can find for the 92 is missing the SMJ pinouts and some other little stuff. Using the search and Google SiteSearch only seems provides outdated / broken links. I guess I might have to just try to find a Factory Service Manual or get a Haynes / Chiltons.

Could not get her to start today. I could not find any where that I should add ground to the harness. I added 12V to the large yellow and yellow/red. When I did this I figured I would notice a small spark but there was nothing. I also figured that I would at least hear the fuel pump or something, but it was silent. Suggestions?

I grounded the harness to a strut top bolt. The engine harness is already grounded to the engine itself. Are you using the stock fuel pump relay, or the EJ's?

Looking through the diagrams I kinda figured the ECU must ground through the engine. When you say that you grounded to the strut top, what wire did you ground?

I am using the large blue wire off the EJ fuel pump relay. I located the EA relay and disconnected it, then tested the pump by adding 12v. It did kick on.

Yes, I should have been more specific. I would use numbchux's write up and wiring diagrams to find all the grounds. That said, what I have grounded is as follows: BLK/RED- A11, A22, MAF, and (2) from engine harness. BLK/WHT- A20. BLK- main relay. Hope that helps!

90, and 91 engine harness has 3 connectors where it connects to the body harness.

92-94 has only 2 connectors.

All the wires are the same with respect to function, they just go through more connectors on the early harness.

Otherwise, you could cut and splice the wires to match.

correct me if im wrong... your saying a ej engine harness will plug right in to the ea body harness? and work?

if thats right what about the ej ecu? will it do the same?

my 2.2 swap is coming up soon and i want to get my info collected so im not bouncing all over the sight, running in with greasy hands all over my keyboard and mouse in a rage search for answers:lol: