Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 GL D/R Wagon - Another EJ Swap

Trevor

correct me if im wrong... your saying a ej engine harness will plug right in to the ea body harness? and work?

Unfortunately there is no plug and play here :-\ The wiring is a little tricky but not impossible. I just got mine running a few minutes ago :banana: I appreciate the help guys.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, I'd like to thank SoobieDoo for your help! Turns out that I was missing the ground for the main relay :banghead:

I have the harness in a manageable state now and will be wrapping it in split loom and tape tonight and trying to get some exhaust figured out in the next few days so I can take it for a test brawl. Next up will be tires and lift :banana:(Seriously, this banana is cool)

photo-142.jpg

correct me if im wrong... your saying a ej engine harness will plug right in to the ea body harness? and work?

if thats right what about the ej ecu? will it do the same?

Nope, i guess I wasn't clear I was speaking about differences in yearts of EJ harnesses. Specifically the change to two plugs at the engine in 92-94 years.

If you strip down and install the harness correct, you only need to hook up a few wires to mate the EJ into the EA body.

I still have some minor issues with mine, stumbling upon takeoff, until about 3k then she comes alive. I discovered that the timing was off on the pass side by 3 cogs, dang i thought it had power before!, now idles quiet and smooth, stumbles on applying throttle until 3k then burning rubber, and seriously moving.

The guy that pulled me over was really nice. He let me off on the registration, insurance, seat belt, missing hood, drivers license, broken windshield and probably something else I'm missing........ quite the scene.

oh yeah....HOOD!!! where is it LOL

Nice Work! Especially getting pulled over right away! :lol: Good thing manners work huh?! Fun engine? I love it in my brat.

Manners are key :) Still not sure how fun it is. Exhaust is not done and I need to get some interior stuff done. Should be a hoot though.....

Put over 100 miles on this car without any major problems. Changed motor and trans oil and installed the Legacy seats this weekend. Had to do a ball joint and clean the nastiness from the P.O. Still needs a permanent exhaust and some wires hooked up. Overall I'm happy with the results. :)

Got a proper exhaust welded up today then did a little offroading. Low range is a blast in this thing. I was blown away at how this thing can just creep up what ever and then cruise down the interstate at 80mph after that. 250 trouble free miles today :)

photo-149.jpg

photo-150.jpg

Reliable, eh!?!

I just made a 600 miler in mine trouble free. :banana:

What did you end up with for exhaust?

Got a cheap glasspack and muffler at the auto parts store. Went with 1-7/8" over the EJ y pipe into the glasspack at 2" then over the beam into the muffler. Sounds just right, and its easier to drive when you can understand what the engine is saying cause its not shouting :)

So finally got around to hooking up the tach and VSS. Tach was cake, but the signal from the VSS I am pulling from the connector that went to the old ecu at pin 22 Y/G wire is fluctuating between .02 and 0 V when I have one wheel off the ground and turn it by hand. This does not seem right to me............

So finally got around to hooking up the tach and VSS. Tach was cake, but the signal from the VSS I am pulling from the connector that went to the old ecu at pin 22 Y/G wire is fluctuating between .02 and 0 V when I have one wheel off the ground and turn it by hand. This does not seem right to me............

Sounds normal.

You're DMM probably can't display the pulse quickly enough. But if you're using the original VSS wire, it will be right.

EJ with a dual range with stock tires should climb a telephone pole.

Sounds normal.

You're DMM probably can't display the pulse quickly enough. But if you're using the original VSS wire, it will be right.

Again, this was while slowly turning the wheel by hand while the other was on the ground. I will double check my wires though.

EJ with a dual range with stock tires should climb a telephone pole.

Any recommended tire size? I would hate to lose my pole climbing ability, but want to get a little more clearance and nasty traction after the lift gets installed. I was looking at the Dunlop Mud Rovers.