Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lurching and other ?'s

Okay.. here are some questions..

what causes this feeling of 'lurching' or jumping forward? It almost always happens in low gear (i get really crappy low gear preformance at like 10 - 25 mph) and now started happening in higher gears while keeping steady on the accelerator.

next - i checked my Man. Trans. Lub. level a few mos ago, was at right height ondipstick but appeared 'bubbly', checked it today it was at completely low line (very bottom line).. what caused it to run out so much?

- i dont know if this is related, but the spark plugs appeared to be running hot (plugs were white), and one of the metal connector harness things inside the rubber boot was rusted all over, but the other wires were fine.. what do i need to do about this?

finally - when im driving, there is a very coins in a can like sound, can be affected by the accelerator, but not completely dependent on it.. it is becomming more common of a condition.. when the car is running (idling) and i listen at the back near the exhaust, it sounds like (best i can describe it) a boat running - no smooth operation sounds, but kind of a low soft 'boam boam boam' continuously. also, when i start it, sometimes it revs (according to tach guage in dash) at .9-1k, others its 2-2.2k -- whats causing this change and how do isolve it

Sry for the large amount of questions, but they all apear to have come up at the same time - i noticed the noises and checked it over: air filter fine, distr fine and not moveable, plugs were a bit white, wires fine (except rusted one), fuel filter changed, belts are fine, fluids are fine when i add to them, battery and alt are all fine, distr isnt cracked or anything...

any help appreciated

JB

Miles, I think you missed that it was his GEAR oil that was bubbly. Perhaps you checked it right right after a run, and entrained air made it look bubbly, and the bubbles made the level look correct?

If I were you, I would change the gear oil, and make sure you have the right level, cold, then keep an eye on it.

The "coins in a can" sound, affected by throttle, sounds like ping (knock). Ceck the timing,a nd maybe back it off a degree or 2 maybe? That would probably help the white plug issue, too.

You might want to replace the rusty plug wire. It is possible to get singles, if you don't want to replace all of them.