Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*new bumpers and more!* pics of trip to ocean shores

True2Blue

yes this is off of another thread but i want input pics will go up the instant work is done..

heres the subaru (87 gl 1.8FI) i took this last week in the Olympics and by lake cushman

IMG00184-20100402-1420.jpg

DSCF0176.jpg

DSCF0172.jpg

DSCF0173.jpg

Got $3,000 in goodies not including the bumpers roof rack and tail light guards that are coming this month from HTI

new ignition switch to be mounted elsewhere (somewhere fancy) and push start button

DSCF0184.jpg

some of the wiring kit for the amps and misc gear going into this rig

DSCF0185.jpg

600watt power inverter (going in glove box)

DSCF0186.jpg

800watt pioneer premier amp

DSCF0187.jpg

1000watt JL Audio amp

DSCF0188.jpg

320 watt component speaker amp

DSCF0189.jpg

Two 1500watt pioneer premier shallow 12's

DSCF0190.jpg

DSCF0191.jpg

1500watt 12w7 (aka dub7)

DSCF0192.jpg

DSCF0193.jpg

18 Farad BOSS Audio Capacitor

DSCF0194.jpg

Last limb battery charger

DSCF0195.jpg

VR3 GPS with license plate mounted backup camera

DSCF0196.jpg

3kc3pc3l95W05X15S6a3mfc75ca5a56b41a.jpg

135watt jbl 2 way door speakers (5 1/4)

DSCF0197.jpg

Everything together with the exception of whats already in it

DSCF0198.jpg

Whats left to do?

*Delta Cams

*Line-X the interior plastics, Door panels & headliner (dash too)

*All new custom seats

*9k lb. winch

*Dark grey carpet kit

*Rear disk break swap

*And recovery Gear such as: tow straps and come alongs

im sure there's more

Edited by True2Blue

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hhhhhmmm - if you need a 12k winch.... how are you planning to keep all that electrical dry?

Expensive audio gear in a serious off-road machine never seems to work out well in my experience. You are always hampered by not wanting to hurt any of the expensive gear in it. Which is understandable, but frankly that makes it not very fun to play with. It also makes it heavier - not to mention things like that 12k winch (which you don't need)... a (quality) 5k or 6k winch would be a much more sensible option unless you are planning to hoist the car straight up a tree. Larger means heavier and more power consumption with little benefits to be had on a vehicle that weighs less than 4k lbs loaded.

The RX transmission is not a good choice off-road. With it's 1.2:1 reduction and 3.7 final drive - you might as well have a single range 5 speed with a 3.9 rear diff (same basic gearing as an RX in low). The locker doesn't really matter either since you would never have it unlocked anyway and the D/R tranny's are always locked when they are in 4WD.

The EA82 isn't the best choice either - I wouldn't bother with putting cams in it - go for an EJ22. Your car already being an SPFI car makes the conversion a lot simpler. Driving larger tires will be a lot easier with 135 HP. The 90 HP EA82 is just too underpowered for that heavy of a rig - most especially if you stick with the RX transmission - you will have big tires (reduced gearing), no low range, no power, and LOTS of weight. Bad combo. What you want is light, small, powerful, and geared like a tractor. You need to keep those in mind with all your equipment choices.

The audio system looks like it will be sweet - but more suited to a street vehicle. This is where you need two cars - one for the street, and one for the trails. While it may seem like a cool idea to bomb down a trail with music blaring - it's not. Typically that just means you can't hear the important noises that signify your vehicle is telling you something, and you can't hear people trying to contact you, etc. It's distracting is what I'm saying - and that can land you in deep trouble (literally).

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

GD hello my friend. its been a few years since we've talked. i did my tour in Iraq.. wasn't bad.. Baghdad is nuts..

the 12k winch is for recovery of other vehicles as well as mine. and its cheap. so why not

any ways alot of people see this rig and think "pure wheeler".. well YES and NO i do go off road. however, i will not put a dent in it. that will be another rig another time.

this one is simply my commuter/camper with a bit of mild exploring.

VERY GOOD input about the rx gear and thank you very much i will consider running a new 2.2 on my trans. after being rebuilt..

Now my explanation for the sound system. YOU totally stereotyped me. no i will not be blasting the stereo while in motion on trails. i need to hear whats going on.. the stereo is for going to awesome camp spots and playing some tunes while swimming or around the campfire.

i didnt say i just sold my 375hp truck and pulled the sound system so im putting it in my Subaru cause no one will buy it for whats its worth.

this will be my polished turd:grin:

i hope i get to take it to the subaru meets

I don't have the off roading or Soobie mechanics expertise that GD has, but I am a bit of a stereo geek. So I'll throw my 2 cents in.

First off. EA alternators are notoriously weak, even without all that gear, you'll need an upgrade. There's a Nissan Maxima 90 amp alternator that's very easy to put in. Or, with a little more work, you can install a 100 amp or bigger GM alternator. If I were going with everything you've got collected, I'd shoot for at least 150 amps. Here's the thread. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100559&highlight=alternator+upgrade You'll notice GD posting in there also. He's one of the most knowledgeable Subaru guys you'll ever talk to.

As for the stereo stuff specifically, you're going to lose at least half of your cargo space. At best, you can fit the cap and the four channel amp under your front seats. You'll need an amp rack someplace. And that JBL woofer needs a pretty large box. I personally would step up to decent 6.5" seperates in all four doors, lose the cap, big amp, and the big woofer, put the low profile Pioneers in custom boxes on each side behind the wheel wells, upgrade the alternator and battery, then feed the amps with 0 gauge wire. You can always turn the volume down when you're off road, but the only way to get back your cargo space is to leave some stuff at home. If you just can't live without the deep bass, you could always put Pro Bass Shakers under the seats, but you'll still have to find someplace for the amp. It's not a winning SQ setup, but then EA Soobs are pretty low on the list for cars you'd use for that sort of build.

Also, with all that audio gear, water crossings will always be terrifying. From what I've seen, if you go wheeling with people from the board, you can expect water crossings. Even if you don't plan on driving in water, these old cars get pretty leaky floors. You'll probably want to inspect the floor very closely while you've got the carpet out.

Keep up the good work, you've got one of the nicer looking off road wagons I've seen.

GD hello my friend. its been a few years since we've talked. i did my tour in Iraq.. wasn't bad.. Baghdad is nuts..

Glad you made it home safe! My best friend is still there - should be home soon though.

the 12k winch is for recovery of other vehicles as well as mine. and its cheap. so why not

Yeah - you might need it in that case. I prefer a smaller unit that can be receiver mounted and then swapped between the front and rear of the car. Also a large winch like that will pull a lot of amps - a dual-battery system would be a good call. As well as the alternator upgrade - if you go with the EJ22 then there are options for larger alternators on those in the aftermarket - people installing stereo's in the WRX's, etc have made sure of that. You might look into a hydraulic winch - since you have power steering and so will the EJ22 - it's an obvious choice especially if you don't plan to drown the engine in a lake, etc. As long as the engine is running - the winch will operate without needing any electricity. Milemarker makes the one's on the military Hummer's.

any ways alot of people see this rig and think "pure wheeler".. well YES and NO i do go off road. however, i will not put a dent in it. that will be another rig another time.

this one is simply my commuter/camper with a bit of mild exploring.

Ok - that makes more sense. Stay away from water! As mentioned by Don - these cars tend to take up water like a sponge. Might I sugest you ditch the carpet completely and just bed-liner the interior floor. That way you can pull the floor drains easily to drain off any water and also it keeps the interior cleaner since there's no carpet to absorb water and dirt.

VERY GOOD input about the rx gear and thank you very much i will consider running a new 2.2 on my trans. after being rebuilt.

If the tranny is in good shape - probably won't need to rebuild it. They can handle the EJ22 fairly well. When you have the engine out check for any play in the input shaft and check for metal in the gear oil. If you don't find either of those - just run it the way it is. They aren't rare so if it blows another can be found. Typically they are pretty rugged though.

Now my explanation for the sound system. YOU totally stereotyped me. no i will not be blasting the stereo while in motion on trails. i need to hear whats going on.. the stereo is for going to awesome camp spots and playing some tunes while swimming or around the campfire.

Good plan - might I sugest you consider mounting the amps to the headliner..... the sub amp in my lifted wagon met with it's fate at the hands of water half-way up my doors - under the seat was not a good location.

i didnt say i just sold my 375hp truck and pulled the sound system so im putting it in my Subaru cause no one will buy it for whats its worth.

If you have it you might as well use it - just don't blow the windows out :).

this will be my polished turd:grin:

i hope i get to take it to the subaru meets

Come on out for the shows and the meets - just probably don't want to follow some of us. Dents, broken glass, and especially broken drivetrain parts are known to happen around a lot of our rigs. Mine is no exception unfortunately. I consider them "beauty marks" and they rarely get fixed unless they keep something from working properly.

I totally understand the "camping" roo mentality. My lifted wagon will probably end up in that role since I've got an EA81 hatch that's destined to be my main toy.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Awesome guys..

I looked at alternators and no they dont make anything over 60 amp. so i have a 140amp coming to be fab'd in

TODAY Tuesday April 6th the Subaru gets a optima yellow top.

i thought about this water idea. i have a solution (you'll see in pics)

my amps are going on the top of my triple sub box so no worry.

I will have a roof rack with weather proof Yakima totes so not all cargo is lost

im sure the setup will surprise you the sub box is perfect

YES im sealing the floor with hurculiner and probably upgrading drain plugs

i wont go through water with this.. well not so deep that it protrudes the doors.

my reason for the tranny rebuild was rough shifting although there hasn't been any grinding i think the syncros are going out but it could be a mix of the lift and stretched linkage

i don't expect this to win the hearts of very many guys on here cause they have beauty marked water logged wheelers.

im a clean freak and if i could i would have a subaru for every "class" Strick gutted wagon wheeler, a wrx for my sporty fast ride, my current on for camping and exploring

i plan on buying scotts 6" lifted wagon with no engine and ej it.. but one at a time for now (have a baby on the way so im limited yanno)

What kind of alternator did you look at? I have the GM 100 amp in my wagon. If you plan on keeping the EA82 (i dont see why not. At the end of the day, they get the job done. regardless of what GD says:grin:) use the maxima 90 amp alt. The extra 10 amps isn't worth the trouble.

Good:

I like the fog lights in the grille, looks clean.

Working clock in an EA car, awesome.

Bad:

NO HIDs.

Listen to this Brit. He's a bloody wanker, but what he says is true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw

I'd sell all the stereo gear, and buy a good used Warn 8274 and some synthetic winch line, but that's just me.

Nice looking wagon, can't go wrong with a silver Subaru.

Good:

Bad:

NO HIDs.

Listen to this Brit. He's a bloody wanker, but what he says is true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw

Thanks that's good to know.. ill just run my day lighters

I'd sell all the stereo gear, and buy a good used Warn 8274 and some synthetic winch line, but that's just me.

Nice looking wagon, can't go wrong with a silver Subaru.

no way.. ill just buy a winch AND my bumpers have front and rear receivers for the winch to fit on the front and rear.

i like my bumps:grin:

Edited by True2Blue

What kind of alternator did you look at? I have the GM 100 amp in my wagon. If you plan on keeping the EA82 (i don't see why not. At the end of the day, they get the job done. regardless of what GD says:grin:) use the maxima 90 amp alt. The extra 10 amps isn't worth the trouble.

i looked at the gm 140 amp.. ill check into the maxima alternator. what year? napa is gonna ask 10 questions

I was going to say something about this but it kinda seems like you seem to know alot about stereos. But the fact is the wireing in a chevy truck would be superior to a economy car. Which is why you didnt have any problems running what you ran. If i were you i would update the alternator and wireing like GD said.

No offence but what your doing kinda reminds me of a comedians joke. His brother came to him and asked him if he could borrow 3000 dollars for a car. His brother agreed and a few weeks latter he shows up with this real piece of ****. Rust holes dents the works, but he installs a 2500 dollar sound system. Pulls up and says what you think my car has much sound bra. He says no no your car has much rust.

But yes look into the wireing, looks like a cool system but i would save it for a much cooler car.

NEW Lights!:banana:

and cop-dar lol:burnout:

the small driving lights are replacing the amber (orange) lights in the grille.....

DSCF0240.jpg

I DONT WANNA HEAR IT! These are 100% legal to have in your car as long as they dont obstruct you view.

DSCF0239.jpg

DSCF0238.jpg

You have a lot of viewing area in that wagon. I would tint the windows to detour thieves. An alarm might be a good idea too.

i was saving that for the end of the month.. a viper alarm is getting installed as well as a usp45 on my hip:lol:

cant wait:)

Edited by True2Blue

I would definatly do some sort of security... Especially the way your advertising all the $$ you are dumping into this thing.. I do think it'll be a cool ride when you get done, a little overkill in some areas (my opinion only!), but definatly cool... A 45 on your hip won't do you any good if your nowhere near the guy who just robbed your stuff... This is speaking from experience by the way.. I was taken for about $20000 (yes, twenty thousand dollars) worth of stuff in '08... DONT TRUST ANYONE!!!

All bling except for the yellow top.

I think I would be a little upset if you were in the same campground as me, if blasting your tunes at high decibels.

Dont get me wrong, I probably listen to the same music (not country) and I usually listen to my tunes turned up while I'm going down the road.

I have a old cheap Sony deck in my hatch and bring along a portable unit that I can plug a MP3 player into.

My RX and Brat are setup a little different tho.

wow... really?

yea an alarm system is going in. and yes i WILL hear someone breaking into my subaru if they get that far.

and rob... come on man............ i wish people would think that im a decent kind person for just one minute.. i wont go to a packed camp sight and BLAST music.. i will if there's not many people around. and i will ask before i blast if i am close to them, i don't want problems. that, and im not an *********************.

Especially the way your advertising all the $$ you are dumping into this thing..

thats what half of the sight is about. and im not bragging im showin my love for my subaru. i priced out the system not everything else.

after all i was first told on here i was polishing a turd....

all in all i get what ur sayin. i just took offense cause mommy and daddy didn't hand me anything EVER i raised myself and went to Iraq (Al taqqadum, Baghdad, Al Asad) so i could do this kinda stuff... i earned it..

so sorry if i seem like im bragging or anything along those lines. i don't wanna put a lemon face on anyone here

wow... really?

yea an alarm system is going in. and yes i WILL hear someone breaking into my subaru if they get that far.

and rob... come on man............ i wish people would think that im a decent kind person for just one minute.. i wont go to a packed camp sight and BLAST music.. i will if there's not many people around. and i will ask before i blast if i am close to them, i don't want problems. that, and im not an *********************.

MOST MODS YET (Comments plz good or bad)

You asked for comments, good or bad. Learn to take some criticism.

And I dont know what you would do at a campsite, I've never wheeled or camped with you. And I never said you were a indecent or unkind person.

I also said "if" you were blasting your music. You need to quit thinking everyone is out to haze you.