Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*new bumpers and more!* pics of trip to ocean shores

True2Blue

You don't want a 12k winch. The front of the subaru will not hold up to 12k of pull on it. My wagon has a 9k winch on the front, and I was pulling a extended cab k2500 loaded with dog kennels back up onto the trail. I had to put the wagon in FWD, spin the front wheels to sink the nose down into the snow, and then start winching. The truck was buried up to the doors in dense snow, so it was putting up a lot of resistance. I could watch my winch bumper pull forward from the hood 1/2" and then come back as the truck started to move, and then pull out again as the truck bogged down. My winch bumper is 3x2" 1/4" wall box tubing, solidly anchored into the stock bumper mounting points, the lower radiator support, and then has the skidplate subframe going down to the lower crossmember. My 9k winch was stressing the body to the point I was nearly ripping the bumper off, plus the front suspension was taking a lot of stress holding the car back. With a 12k, you will rip the nose off of the car no problem.

Plus, my 9k weighs a lot already, and it affects the handling and ground clearance of the car noticeably.

I'd recommend a 5 or 6k with a snatch block if necesary.

Oh, and build a snorkel. I killed my first motor in a pond. Water gets deep quick, and if you can't keep the motor going to get out the other side, it would suck to watch $3k of audio equipment go under.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You asked for comments, good or bad. Learn to take some criticism.

And I dont know what you would do at a campsite, I've never wheeled or camped with you. And I never said you were a indecent or unkind person.

I also said "if" you were blasting your music. You need to quit thinking everyone is out to haze you.

there's criticism and then there's sarcasm with a touch of commonsense.

ill lighten up though. cant get mad at me for not (in my mind) taking ego blows from ppl.

my thread says whats to come and ppl obviously dont even read it cause they keep telling me what i should do and i already said at the beginning i was gonna do that. redundancy is bliss i guess. ill lighten up:)

You don't want a 12k winch. The front of the subaru will not hold up to 12k of pull on it. My wagon has a 9k winch on the front, and I was pulling a extended cab k2500 loaded with dog kennels back up onto the trail. I had to put the wagon in FWD, spin the front wheels to sink the nose down into the snow, and then start winching. The truck was buried up to the doors in dense snow, so it was putting up a lot of resistance. I could watch my winch bumper pull forward from the hood 1/2" and then come back as the truck started to move, and then pull out again as the truck bogged down. My winch bumper is 3x2" 1/4" wall box tubing, solidly anchored into the stock bumper mounting points, the lower radiator support, and then has the skidplate subframe going down to the lower crossmember. My 9k winch was stressing the body to the point I was nearly ripping the bumper off, plus the front suspension was taking a lot of stress holding the car back. With a 12k, you will rip the nose off of the car no problem.

Plus, my 9k weighs a lot already, and it affects the handling and ground clearance of the car noticeably.

I'd recommend a 5 or 6k with a snatch block if necesary.

Oh, and build a snorkel. I killed my first motor in a pond. Water gets deep quick, and if you can't keep the motor going to get out the other side, it would suck to watch $3k of audio equipment go under.

oh man i know.. i saw it and i was like "$300 thats a deal!" but we will see what happens. ill prolly go with a 6k.

at the end i bet it felt good to pull that guy out:lol:

Stereos don't really cut it here in the O/R forum as far as "MODS" go. Show us the mods that will make your car a better wheeler out in the woods.

18 pics of stereo equipment, alarm system and your radar detector are almost enough to move this thread to OT. :eek:

Don't sweat Rob. He's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Google Gulliver's Travels and Glum. Then you'll know what Rob's like. :lol:

Want my advice about a winch for your Subie? Get a couple of 8k come-a-longs from Harbor Freight. Keep them behind the seat, they'll get you out of whatever you can get yourself into. Trust me, I know.

i didn't post it here in the o/r area it was moved here..... and Ive met both you and rob i met you in seattle when we both went to look at the same 79 brat and i met rob in enumclaw (bought the diff.). i like rob hes a nice guy. the bumpers haven't come yet so my "mods" arnt looking so hot to the older guys. soon tho.. soon i STILL have the welded diff i bought from rob a few years back as well.

again the winch is more for pulling people out of ditches when it snows. (im that guy that goes around helping stranded people so they don't have to pay a tow bill) but ill keep posting my pics and progress and hopefully get some good reviews:grin:

Stereos don't really cut it here in the O/R forum as far as "MODS" go. Show us the mods that will make your car a better wheeler out in the woods.

18 pics of stereo equipment, alarm system and your radar detector are almost enough to move this thread to OT. :eek:

Don't sweat Rob. He's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Google Gulliver's Travels and Glum. Then you'll know what Rob's like. :lol:

Want my advice about a winch for your Subie? Get a couple of 8k come-a-longs from Harbor Freight. Keep them behind the seat, they'll get you out of whatever you can get yourself into. Trust me, I know.

Edited by True2Blue

I moved it here because all the work being done is on his offroad rig. I thought this was thread was headed towards offroad mods.

It seems to have some of both so far (Offroad/stereo).

If one of the other mods wants to move, its no biggie to me.

wired most of it up today..

under my hood

DSCF0242.jpg

yep sjr lift

DSCF0243.jpg

put the yellow top in

DSCF0247.jpg

ran the power wire

DSCF0245.jpg

plugged a water seeping hole with caulking

DSCF0248.jpg

power wire through with no drilling

DSCF0244.jpg

half way done

DSCF0249.jpg

the new rear speakers. little door trimming needed

DSCF0251.jpg

DSCF0252.jpg

My Subs in the new box wired up and complete

DSCF0253.jpg

DSCF0254.jpg

DSCF0255.jpg

still gotta wire up my door speakers.. my fronts didnt fit so i ordered some 4" boss audio 250watt 3 ways. tomorrow ill hook up the 6.5 rear speakers and tweeters

pics to follow:banana:

had to trim and shape the rear door speaker holes to fit the terminals..

DSCF0259.jpg

DSCF0262.jpg

DSCF0265.jpg

DSCF0263.jpg

DSCF0266.jpg

New interior LED lights (underglow kit)

OFF

DSCF0269.jpg

ON

DSCF0271.jpg

DSCF0273.jpg

DSCF0274.jpg

Control box and remote

DSCF0268.jpg

DSCF0270.jpg

Engine start button.. (i disabled the key start.. the key does power everything up like usual.)

DSCF0275.jpg

more to come:rolleyes:

Edited by True2Blue

if you need help or ideas or someone to kick it with while you work hit me up. mainly cause your close to shelton (i like people to chat with and more than often ask "hey, can you hand me that?"):lol:

thanks.. ur one of few that likes half of the work.:banana:

more to come

The one thing that I have learned is, to each their own, and who cares what others think! People might question me on why I like my auto trans and tell me to swap it out, but I like my auto 4EAT, and screw what you all think :lol: One of the biggest reason I love my subie is because I can make it my own. They are easy to work on and take apart, so they are also easy to customize. I have added a whole bunch of options to my car and I love it!

I might not spend that much money myself, but I also have a lot of other projects and a wife :lol: But either way it looks good and it looks like you know what you are doing when it comes to installing things like that. I bet those lights seriously brighten up the inside like day! Keep it up dude!

oh i know.. i have a baby on the way and a gf of 5 years now.... i rent a house.. it adds up, the girlfriends VW jetta costs alot (POS!! i told her to get a wrx) also some hefty court fines im payin off (got called to court while in Baghdad and couldn't show so i got issued warrant's in two counties, im good now tho).

im just gettin it in while i can. i sold my truck and i told her its MY truck so its MY play money:lol::lol:

anyways...

stay tuned for updates

might be a type of repost but heres some more goodies for my ru

gotta have water:grin:

DSCF0279.jpg

spare tire cable lock

DSCF0280.jpg

cool ratchet style 500lb test tie down i got from iraq

DSCF0281.jpg

the subaru very own and first set of screw drivers:)

DSCF0283.jpg

3 person tent for adventures

DSCF0284.jpg

lifetime supply of MRE's not the best but they get the job done (adventure food, once the store bought stuff runs out)

DSCF0285.jpg

temporary real designer Coach "shifter boot".

im making a good setup, the stock one kicks me outta gear all the time

DSCF0294.jpg

DSCF0293.jpg

i have REAL Gucci and Dolce & Gabbana fabric too :)

Edited by True2Blue

Yea alot of it is.. But the stereo is changing it from its stock condition.

So i call that a mod. The horn is aftermarket. Has a sjr lift. 6 lug swap. Bupers are being made. Its on 29" tires. Theres so much more to come. Im just adding the little things that count right now till the big mods come in :)

Edited by True2Blue

some cleaning and painting..:rolleyes:

Before (maf and intake)

DSCF0303.jpg

Cleaned it good

DSCF0305.jpg

But it still looked like this... i wouldn't have it

DSCF0307.jpg

Soo begins the painting

for the MAF and airbox

DSCF0310.jpg

and for the intake (different paint.. rubberized)

DSCF0311.jpg

DSCF0315.jpg

DSCF0316.jpg

DSCF0317.jpg

i will be re-conditioning the hoses and replacing or repainting all rusty/bent/dented/old/dirty beyond cleaning parts ASAP!

Got this as well

DSCF0318.jpg