Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wanting to convert 87 wagon manual doors to electric doors

True2Blue

best bet... buy four lock solinodes and an aftermarket remote lock/alarm system...

this will make it quite easy...

thanks bud..

i lost those seats i bought from you when i went to iraq.. buddies mom threw them away.. talk about a loss lol.. still have everything else tho.

hows the 2.0 wagon doin?

You can pull all the parts you need from donor cars in the JY. All the wiring is already in the car for the power locks, you just need the locks themselves. Here's what I did to mine:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=105193

I installed a power door lock motor from the rear passenger side into the drivers door which made the system "independent" of the drivers door, and then added in remote start/keyless entry along with a switch on both front doors to lock and unlock the doors. It's all in the thread I posted. It's been a few months since then and I am still very happy with the results!

You can of course just buy a package online with all the actuators, but it's a PAIN to install them. I have done it before that way as well. It would be way easier to grab all the locks off a donor car and install them, then modify the "stock" system like I did. Much better, cleaner, and easier IMHO.

best bet... buy four lock solinodes and an aftermarket remote lock/alarm system...

this will make it quite easy...

thanks bud..

i lost those seats i bought from you when i went to iraq.. buddies mom threw them away.. talk about a loss lol.. still have everything else tho.

hows the 2.0 wagon doin?

windows

Then what's this all about? I am confused. You want to convert to power windows then? Then why did you thank him for the same thing I just said? I wouldn't have said anything otherwise :rolleyes: That's why I thought you wanted power LOCKS. Windows don't need lock solenoids :rolleyes: Please be more specific with you post title. Thanks

Ok cool, I was just confused, since all that info wasn't posted. Thanks for clearing it up. No hard feelings!

As for the windows... I don't know about all the supports and what not for the windows themselves, but the motors are small and fairly simple, at least when compared to my MR2. I would think that it SHOULD be fairly to swap them in. That and all the wiring should be there as well for the power window system. There isn't much room in the doors, so I think that's going to be your biggest issue is actually trying to install them. Sounds like fun, or something like that anyways. Good luck!

its a direct swap. roll the windows up to unbolt them from the motor arm. then roll the arm down to remove the motor assembly. install in new door, plug everything in, use the power door panel.

the plug ins already exist behind the kick panels and the b-pillar trim.

you might have to switch over the regulator relays which are located under the carpet below the driver seat

for rear glass, wagons and sedans are different. just use the glass you have if you are going between bodies