Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fan comes on immediately when cold, before cranking...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MRduke

MRduke

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • portland

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:35 PM

Hi all,

I know I had stumbled across some issue where this is the symptom in these forums, and alas I cannot find the dang thread again!

Why would the fan on the radiator go on right away when she's cold and not turned over?

Cheers...

#2 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:39 PM

diagnostic check connectors plugged in when they are not supposed to be, or you have a code stored in the ECU, those are pretty typical.
state your year and model.

If you have an older BRAT, maybe it was hard wired in that way.
if you have Legacy and newer, than yeah, diagnostic d check connectors not supposed to be plugged in

#3 MRduke

MRduke

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • portland

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:41 PM

Ah haaaa.....yes, there is a purge solenoid code still in there. Will clear it after replacing and then I hope no cold fan! Thanks...

#4 MRduke

MRduke

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • portland

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:42 PM

Oh yeah, sorry: 1992 legacy wagon non-turbo...

#5 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:46 PM

http://bbs.legacycen...0&t=732&start=0

you can find a diagram showing connectors there if you search for it..

#6 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,948 posts
  • NH

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:39 AM

92 wagon, should be under the drivers side of the dash by the column. There should be a pair of green connectors, and a pair of black connectors right next to each other, Neither should be plugged together.
The fans will cycle on, and off, and on again with the key on, engine off if the plugs are hooked together.

If the fans come on and stay on, then the coolant temp sensor could have failed. The computer defaults to running the fans continuously if the CTS fails. That would set a code though.

The A/C system can turn the fans on, make sure it's not set on a/c or defrost and see if that turns them off.

You could have a stuck fan relay, it's rare but possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users