Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

loyale tranny swap question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mdjdc

mdjdc

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,307 posts
  • Richmond

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:11 PM

Here's the deal. I did a D/R swap in my daughter's loyale today. It originally had an auto trans. now the car cranks but it won't start. i did have to remove the ECU to change out the pedal box, but I'm pretty sure it went back in correctly. She did that part, so I have to double check it. Right now it sounds like I'm not getting any fuel.

Anyone have any ideas as to what i need to do now?

All suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

#2 rxleone

rxleone

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:04 PM

That's an unusual one. First off I would check the ECU is plugged in correctly - as unless you have unplugged any fuel hoses it would only be the Fuel Control Unit (which ties into the ECU) that *should* stop it from getting fuel.

I think something hasn't been plugged in properly, but check it out and let us know how you get on. :)

#3 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:41 PM

Yes - sounds like something is not plugged in. The fuel pump relay is entirely controlled by the ECU - without the ground signal from the ECU the relay will not close.

GD

#4 mdjdc

mdjdc

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,307 posts
  • Richmond

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:28 AM

That is what I was thinking, so I will check that today. Just wanted some other ideas before I get back into it. I am trying to teach her the ins and outs of the car and I let her put some stuff back together. She might not have plugged the ECU back in properly. Good kid and really wants a car that can go in the mud.

Thanks guys.

#5 abog

abog

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 192 posts
  • reno

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:54 AM

Is it still looking for a neutral safety switch?

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:15 PM

Is it still looking for a neutral safety switch?

The neutral safely inhibits the crank circuit - the engine wouldn't even crank if that were the problem.

GD

#7 mdjdc

mdjdc

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,307 posts
  • Richmond

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:54 AM

Finally got to it yesterday and I started hunting down loose connections. Evidently when I was moving the wiring harness to install the pedals i partially unplugged one of the harness plugs. Since it was only partially unplugged it appeared to be plugged in. When i started pulling on other plugs, it fell apart and I knew I had found the problem. Tonight my daughter gets to drive her car home for the first time with the 5 spd D/R tranny. She is really excited. I still have to find a console for it, but she really doesn't care, she just wants to drive it.

Thanks for the help guys. I really needed the encouragement at the time.

Mike

#8 Nug

Nug

Lurker/off-topic poster

• Members
  • 1,966 posts
  • West Point

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:20 AM

So she did the ecu right. Good deal!

#9 mdjdc

mdjdc

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,307 posts
  • Richmond

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:24 AM

Oh yeah, she did her parts just fine. It was my screw up. I knew it was going to be something simple.

She is really good at the mechanical stuff. While I was buttoning up the trans underneath, she was installing the shifter and never even asked me what to do other than the direction of the plate that holds down the boot. Next thing I knew she was getting down and the shifter was done.

She's really into sweat equity and I appreciate her work ethic.

Thanks

Guys.

#10 ivantruckman

ivantruckman

4 inch lift

• Members
  • 874 posts
  • caro, MI.

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:55 AM

She's really into sweat equity and I appreciate her work ethic.

Thanks

Guys.[/QUOTE]

thats rare these days. you must have a gem there..shes a keeper

#11 mdjdc

mdjdc

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,307 posts
  • Richmond

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:39 AM

a real hard worker. She wants to go to the Naval Academy and become a jet pilot. Real ambition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users