Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fog Light Replacement

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 boysoccer3

boysoccer3

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • boise, Idaho

Posted 13 February 2004 - 07:09 PM

Hey, I just had a quick question about the fog lights on my 2000 OBW I recently purchased. I noticed a hole in the light and approximately 1 week later, after a huge snowstorm, that light doesn't work.

I know that I can just buy a new bulb and replace it, but I don't think I should since there is a hole in the cover anyways. In addition, I would like to just buy a new set of fog lights anyways.

1. Are replacing the fog lights very difficult?
2. Any recommedations for buying new fog lights?
3. Do local parts stores usually carry quality fog lights or do I need to order them from the Subaru dealership?

#2 Supaglu

Supaglu

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • South East. UK

Posted 14 February 2004 - 03:55 PM

Hi,
How big is the hole in the light ? - if it's small enough you could seal it with some super glue and save yourself the expense of buying more lights !

DaveH

#3 boysoccer3

boysoccer3

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • boise, Idaho

Posted 15 February 2004 - 01:25 AM

the hole is very small...I would say the size of a piece of lead or slightly bigger. I think I will try to salvage the lights because Subaru said to get new ones would cost over $100 a piece. Thanks for the idea.
Kyle

#4 nickb21

nickb21

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Hunterdon County

Posted 15 February 2004 - 07:09 PM

I slapped a dab of silicon on the hole I have in mine, been holding up for 6months now. A super glue or an epoxy would probably work even better.

#5 Subie Gal

Subie Gal

GC84Ever

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  • WA

Posted 15 February 2004 - 09:25 PM

another option to consider?

1 - remove fog light from car and dry it out...

2 - replace the bulb

3 - cover both fog lights with StonGard shields.
these create a solid seal and keep further moisture out of the light (the moisture is what killed your bulb) - at the same time they protect the light from further rock damage. I have StonGard light shields on all of my Subaru's... stuff, works, great!!!! StonGard is a transparent adhesive material that does not affect the light output, but does protect the fog light itself from rock/debris damage....

see: StonGard light shields here

hope this helps.
Jamie

#6 boysoccer3

boysoccer3

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • boise, Idaho

Posted 16 February 2004 - 12:15 PM

thanks for the suggestions...i am going to go and try to fix them today or tomorro.

#7 Commuter

Commuter

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • Niagara area, Ont Canada

Posted 16 February 2004 - 04:42 PM

When I got my 97 OB, one foglight had a small 'bullet' hole in it (cratered to the inside). After finding out the replacement price, I decided to see if I could fix it. I took the housing out and laid it down on the glass. Then I put a dab of free flowing silicone in the 'crater' thru the bulb hole in the back. It's held for over 5 years now, even with higher wattage bulbs in there.

I did add some metal mesh grates with smaller holes in them to prevent future stone hits. It seems to have worked, but they are rusty now and look like crap. That StonGard stuff Jamie mentioned sounds good.

Commuter

#8 nicky nighteyes

nicky nighteyes

top billin'

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Berkeley

Posted 17 February 2004 - 06:01 PM

I too have fixed a few foglights with silicone, with a hole that small you will hardly notice it, and it holds up well.

Subie Gal also has a good point with the stonguard, fixes it and it won't happen again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users