Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire wobble?

Dannomanno

I just drilled out a set of 6 lug 14 inch rims that I drilled out to fit on my 83 wagon. Looks great and performs awsome offroad, but I have an extreme wobble in the front end. My question in how to adjust the Camber? I hope thats the right word(the angle of the wheel). If anyone who has done this conversion and dealt with this prob. please fill me in on the fix please.

did you get the tires balanced?if so, try putting those tires on the rear,so you don't feel the vibs.Or you knocked the balance off when you played last.either way see what happens if you put them on the rear.

All four lugs line up with no problems right?I had a stud break of on one wheel because the hole was just slightly off center.That little bit caused bad vibs up front.

if all else fails use regular tappered lugs on the two UNDRILLED holes to locate and hold the wheel.then use some flat lugnuts(or backwards lugnuts) on the studs where you drilled through the rim.Then just tighten them up tight as you feel comfortable(IE before the the threads strip)

Its not camber. check your 36mm nuts on the axles. and check your lug nuts. and unbalanced tires will not cause bad vibrations.

You NEED to check all the bolts connecting your front drive train to your car. I'd bet money that a bolt has backed off somewhere. pay close attention to the cross-member bolts

Swaped tires front to back and it got worse. Gonna do balance and bolt check today, thanks for the input guys.

What size tires? Used? off of? Radial or bias?

If the symptom changed after moving the wheels and tires, I would say its wheel or tire issue.

Similar to what was mentioned you can only use the two lugs that were NOT drilled, leave the others off for a short test drive to check your holes. If it still has the wobble then you could have a bad tire, separated tread, balance issue etc.

Radials don't much like being rotated the opposite direction late in life either.

Oh, and changed from 165/80/r13 to 27x8.5 14 very odl used tires off of a trooper I found in the junk yard. all tires hold air and fling mud so I hope its not them.

very old junkyard tires eh?

that may put this thread to an end-surely that is part of it. .

ok so it was two of the tires had seperated. had to put some street tires on the front and smoothed her right out. thanks for all the help once again, and I hope I can help in the future.

Good job, glad ya got it :)