Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SUBARU Wheeler

Scott in Bellingham

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lower the weight, yes. Lose tires size, nay. You've seen it yourself, the bigger tires really make all the difference in some situations. I found even the most amazingly aggressive 37" ATV tires to be just too small to be effective in a lot of situations.

For the best weight and departure angle, you'd want a gutted EA81 Hatch body. Shave as much sheetmetal as you like, replace sections of the floor with aluminum, cut out the whole center of the roof and use a canvas center like a Model A, and holesaw speedholes anywhere that wont affect the structural integrity of the chassis.

8" lift, modified/reinforced EA82 front suspension, modified stock rear torsion bar assembly (widened to EA82 specs to use EA82 axles) and all the other goodies outlined in my first post.

Driving style and experience makes all the difference in most cases.....

-Bill

Just add a second E-brake handle.

I had almost done that, but never finished it. My first design had too much flex in the linkage, and not enough holding power. For the cost and simplicity...can't be beat.

line locks would be easier, and probably cheaper by the time you had some brake lines made.....just sayin.cheers, brian

Had to google that one! The only downside I can see, is that it wouldn't be automatic. Just like the dual e-brakes, only probably stronger.

Ehhhh...too much money and time for something that should work.

You may now have your thread back, Scott, as I'm sure you won't be going this route. :grin:

I

You may now have your thread back, Scott, as I'm sure you won't be going this route. :grin:

Im happy with ideas comin forth, hope to see some real vehicles in the future and get away from vertual web wheelin, want to see some real world creations and see how they preform , like the lightin a Hatch Idea, I mentioned tire size to make up for the limited axle strenth and no low gears,

then gears.....

the closest thing i have found to work would be a lower geared t case that could be added to the back of a nissan pathfinder transmission.the main body of the 4eat is the same as the pathfinder, and i have fitted some of the shafts together preliminarily and they are splined the same...so, it may be possible to get some good gearing.....

i really believe that with better gearing , and axles, that a good car could be built.but until you take care of those two things, nothing will change.

cheers, brian

Ok maybe we need to shed some weight and downsize to match the parts gearing and strength , 1/2 the weight and go with smaller tires ,

well, like i said , they have the same main body on them....

i took an ax-10 transfer case from a pathfinder, aand it did not fit, the rear of the trans was shaped just barely diffferent.but , the mainshaft coming of off the subie trans (with the tailcone removed)was the same spline count as the front of the ax10.

a blockoff plate/adapter plate could be made easily.

that is as far as i got, i need an entire pathfinder trans, not just the t-case to go further with my research.....and have not found one since those developments....

cheers, brain

if your looking for light weight why not a BRAT? there isnt much there to begin with and if you really want to shed weight then chop pretty much everything behind the cab. At least maybe the walls to make it a flatbed. Approach angle isnt bad either with a little trimming and a tucked up bumper. And to make better departure angle bob the tail.

lift it up 6 to 8 inches, get some meaty tires (27s? 33s? i dont know, bigger better or not?), throw in an EJ engine, 5speed dr trans and whatever gears diff and what not that works best and i think you got yourself an awesome wheeler

but if you dont have money to spend on all the newer EJ stuff (like me) then id say cut as much weight as possible, tune up the ea81 (weber, torque grind, ect..), get a 5speed dr from the yard, weld the rear, set up dual ebrake for the front, lift it and get as much time on the trails as possible. i always believe there is no mod better than driving skill.

thats my plan for my BRAT, we will see how it turns out eventually :grin:

-Andy

one word:RARE

if your looking for light weight why not a BRAT? there isnt much there to begin with and if you really want to shed weight then chop pretty much everything behind the cab. At least maybe the walls to make it a flatbed. Approach angle isnt bad either with a little trimming and a tucked up bumper. And to make better departure angle bob the tail.

lift it up 6 to 8 inches, get some meaty tires (27s? 33s? i dont know, bigger better or not?), throw in an EJ engine, 5speed dr trans and whatever gears diff and what not that works best and i think you got yourself an awesome wheeler

but if you dont have money to spend on all the newer EJ stuff (like me) then id say cut as much weight as possible, tune up the ea81 (weber, torque grind, ect..), get a 5speed dr from the yard, weld the rear, set up dual ebrake for the front, lift it and get as much time on the trails as possible. i always believe there is no mod better than driving skill.

thats my plan for my BRAT, we will see how it turns out eventually :grin:

-Andy

Hatchbacks are lighter than Brats to begin with, have a shorter wheelbase, and are a lot more common and can be had for cheap almost anywhere. Brats have the worst departure angle of any Gen 2, and have some collector value building, and just wouldnt be the best thing to destroy on the trails Scott would be using it on.

-Bill

Hatchbacks are lighter than Brats to begin with, have a shorter wheelbase, and are a lot more common and can be had for cheap almost anywhere. Brats have the worst departure angle of any Gen 2, and have some collector value building, and just wouldnt be the best thing to destroy on the trails Scott would be using it on.

-Bill

wouldnt bother me beatin up a Brat , if you guys want one go buy one

i would have thought opposite, i see more brats than hatches, but maybe because im not looking for them :rolleyes:

i see your points though, a brat would take more mods to get up to par with a hatch

but i do agree with scott, i dont mind beatin up my brat, if anything ill pick up another one and make it a street car/garage queen. sti swap maybe? :grin:

-Andy

Ie been tryin to com up with a good name for my current offroad project, Im thinkin "IOD" for Improvised Offroad Device

An improvised offroad device (IOD; also known as a lifted Subaru due to contemporary use) is a homemade Wheeler constructed and deployed in ways other than in conventional offroad action. One may be constructed of conventional Automobile parts , such as an stock subaru, attached to a set of mudder tires .:lol:

i would have thought opposite, i see more brats than hatches, but maybe because im not looking for them :rolleyes:

i see your points though, a brat would take more mods to get up to par with a hatch

but i do agree with scott, i dont mind beatin up my brat, if anything ill pick up another one and make it a street car/garage queen. sti swap maybe? :grin:

-Andy

we are blessed in the northwest.maybe in the southwest too,but everywhere else they are dwindling in numbers.

i have had no problem wheeling them in the past.and have.

but, they are getting to be one of those things that would be better kept off of the trailbashing circuit.

i mean whatever.but i am starting to look at them again, and parts are and always have been scarce.they are around, but getting them out of peoples hands is a whole other talk show....

thats all, i like wheeling a brat.but, he said"ultimate subaru"....so arguing that your idea is better than the next guy is just ridiculous....we all have different opinions.

cheers brian

we are blessed in the northwest.maybe in the southwest too,but everywhere else they are dwindling in numbers.

i have had no problem wheeling them in the past.and have.

but, they are getting to be one of those things that would be better kept off of the trailbashing circuit.

i mean whatever.but i am starting to look at them again, and parts are and always have been scarce.they are around, but getting them out of peoples hands is a whole other talk show....

thats all, i like wheeling a brat.but, he said"ultimate subaru"....so arguing that your idea is better than the next guy is just ridiculous....we all have different opinions.

cheers brian

I see where your coming from, the northwest does have significantly more to offer than other places.

The only reason i wheel a Brat is because its what i got, and i like the look of lifted brats :rolleyes:

Its obvious that the best subaru to turn into a wheeler is a hatch. Your hatch project is looking awesome btw, cant wait to see how it turns out :headbang:

-Andy

Ie been tryin to com up with a good name for my current offroad project, Im thinkin "IOD" for Improvised Offroad Device

An improvised offroad device (IOD; also known as a lifted Subaru due to contemporary use) is a homemade Wheeler constructed and deployed in ways other than in conventional offroad action. One may be constructed of conventional Automobile parts , such as an stock subaru, attached to a set of mudder tires .:lol:

I love it. Bumpersticker time!

• 1 month later...