Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New O3 Legacy se, poor fuel milage

New Legacy se, 03 ..2.5 single cam w/2,700 miles ...best milage so far is 20 mpg, been checking every tank ...had 200 mile interstate trip and only got 22 mpg....just changed out factory oil to 5w-30 amsoil syn....I had 99 OB/sw w/ dual cam 2.5 and always got 24-30 mpg ...this sucks , now I know its new but the fuel milage should not be this poor, only thing I know to do is to reset the computer, by unhooking the battery for an hour or so and see how it performs after that...I might pull one plug to see what's up there...any ideas ...tks bd

Our new Legacy has about 3100 miles, and I'm mildly disappointed with the mileage, 18-20 city, and 22-25 highway. I knew before buying that the fuel mileage was middling at best, but was hoping for about 20-21 city and 26 highway.

I won't make final judgement for about 20,000 miles, experience with other cars says it might get there. We sold a 96 Volvo 850 to buy the Subaru, so regular gas alone makes for a big savings.

No problems or warranty work so far.

Our 2003 Legacy 5 speed got alittle over 29mpg from Ashville to Aurora on our trip back from Colorado. Had 1800 miles on it when we got home. Get around 27mpg commuting from Aurora to Washington, 35 miles each way. Living in Hickory with snow and mountains maybe taking atoll on your mileage?

• 1 year later...
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: give it a chance to settle down and run in matey!

couldn't stand it any longer...I got a set of iridium plugs from Boxer4, Dale Teague ...UPS delivered today and I installed them...D***Factory put champion plugs in....since I also have a cat-back stromung system we will see what happens now...I really dont understand why champions in a sub...common sense says NGK all the way...the champs looked Ok though , nice light brown with no signs of carbon or running rich and no deposits at all...

If milage doesn't improve I will just have to get the borla's and a hi-flow cat!!!

more to follow

bd

Filled my wife's 2003 5 speed SE up monday and was shocked to see that it had broken the 30mpg mark. We have about 33.5k on it already and she has a 35 mile country commute to work. When I told her about how high the mileage was she laughed and said it has been doing that for several months now. So go figure, I would think you need to start looking for a problem. I would try rebooting the computer first.

I have a '03 SE MT 37,500 miles, I would say that I average around 21-23 mpg during my normal driving, the best I have gotten so far, all highway between 70-80mph with A/C, 2 adults, trunk area full & the dog is 26.5mpg. It's only rated by the EPA @ 27mpg Highway anyway. I need fuel around 300miles normally or closer to 350 miles if I do a lot of highway.

The AT are rated at a higher MPG (+1) than the MT. This is due to the fact the MT AWD drivetrains are different from the AT in that the MT is 50/50 split all the time while the AT's electronically controlled AWD is more like 90/10 unless needed.

The real reason for hwy difference in MPG between AT and MT is the taller gearing in AT. AT cars rev at 3000 rpm at 70 mph (which I confirm in my 00 legacy) vs more like 3500 rpm in MT (so I am hearing).

I also used to belive in that 90/10 vs 50/50 difference but no more after trying FWD fuse (100/0 split) that gave no MPG difference whatsoever.