Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '95 Legacy: Trashwagon10

TheLoyale

The structor its self is damaged, so cutting out the panel and installing a better one would still not allow it to line up right. The entire rear qurtar is pushed back and in - I have pulled it out pretty much and might go back into it again sometime.

The structor its self is damaged, so cutting out the panel and installing a better one would still not allow it to line up right. The entire rear qurtar is pushed back and in - I have pulled it out pretty much and might go back into it again sometime.

yeah. but it would look better and with enough skill you can make it look like it never happened. LOOK not actually be good as new

Lift it!!:banana::grin: Looks great!!

Copy this!

It'd be cool to see it up on second gen forester strut assemblies! I've heard good things about this set-up giving and outback a lift, so think more lift than just an OB strut swap :eek:

Copy this!

It'd be cool to see it up on second gen forester strut assemblies! I've heard good things about this set-up giving and outback a lift, so think more lift than just an OB strut swap :eek:

Hmm this sounds intriguing, will the Outback crossmember spacer still be enough with the forester struts?

Hmm this sounds intriguing, will the Outback crossmember spacer still be enough with the forester struts?

a fine question...

All I've heard is up to 2" over stock and you don't need to drop driveline (crossmember spacers, tranny x-member or rear trailing arms bracketry, etc.) compontents, BUT maybe second gen FOR gear might be pushing the envelope of a legacy/95OB... You may get to be the lucky one to share that info with the crowd :grin:

I think i found out about it on dirtyimpreza or subaruoutback.org

maybe do some searching over there :-\

**EDIT**check here for a start http://www.teamilluminata.com./Customers/OBAT/obat.htm I'm pretty sure this also linked from the DI

Edited by superu

$325 for Forester struts? I can get KYB GR2s for the forester for cheeper :lol:

I might go with the OB struts as I'm not sure if the steering shaft will need to be longer if I go with the Foresters. I haven't done any research yet so I'm somewhat in the dark on this topic. But this stuff really isn't any different then the old gen stuff, so I'll be good :)

I also need to fine out if the rear diff needs to be spaced down or not..?

-Tom

$325 for Forester struts? I can get KYB GR2s for the forester for cheeper :lol:

I might go with the OB struts as I'm not sure if the steering shaft will need to be longer if I go with the Foresters. I haven't done any research yet so I'm somewhat in the dark on this topic. But this stuff really isn't any different then the old gen stuff, so I'll be good :)

I also need to fine out if the rear diff needs to be spaced down or not..?

-Tom

Yeah, i got 4 OB struts from tire rack for that, but i think these are complete assemblies (read: strut, spring and tophat...) You'll only get struts from tire rack and have to reuse your legacy springs or source some OB or first gen forester spings (second gen FOR springs are different.. they have a smaller diameter at the top of the coil.. same as i found on H-6 SVX front coils, thus they won't go in a first gen OB strut's upper spring perch/tophat)

I think if it (second gen FOR suspension) lifts a first gen OB an inch or so then it'll lift your 95 OB 2.5"ish at best?

It might not be enough to worry about the rest of the stuff, but it also might...

I did OB strut swap on my 95 sedan like 6 years ago.. No probs.. Well except the used struts finally died last year :rolleyes:

So i'm on new GR2s, but still, no probs... I didn't do rear trailing arm brackets, engine/tranny x-member brackets/spacers or anything with the rear diff...

I know its tried and true, but you should get another inch of suspension lift out of second gen fozzy bits :slobber:

I think another thread was on nasioc of all places... but the link above is pretty good...

I'm psyched to stay tuned whichever route you go... It's always good to see another leggo lifted..

ciao,

-mark-

Yea thats true on the price, I guess its not a bad price then.

Well the plan for now is getting some Outback Strut assemblies (Top hats, Springs, Strut) so I can get this thing up and then sometime in the future I might do a full blown lift.

So now I need to find some good used OB struts for not to much once I come into some money.

WANTED: 1st gen Outback struts.

-Tom :)

My combo for the most lift and tire clearance (perch height) on a 95-99 Legacy body is.

Outback Front struts, Forrester springs, and tops.

Outback Rear strut, with you're Forrester spings and Forrester top hat.

Thats more crap I would need to find and buy, but I see your point.

Extra knowledge and advice is always good :)

My combo for the most lift and tire clearance (perch height) on a 95-99 Legacy body is.

That's awesome.

I've been asking about the difference in overall clearance b/t OB springs and FOR springs for a while, without much success. Do you have measurements comparing OB springs vs. FOR springs on and off the car?

And, is the FOR tophat "taller" ?

Thanks man, this answers a speculation I've had for a while...

I'm doing this as soon as I can get the front springs and tophats to complete the set...

Im curious if any ride comfort is sacraficed while doing this. I understand if you use more agressive tread tires but the overall outback setup on a legacy.

Well the Outback struts are going to be a bit stiffer and more durable from what I could see (Being a SUW) plus my struts are shot, rides like a cadillac and the wheels hop off the ground Lol!

I like my cars to ride like trucks :banana:

I have found that Outbacks ride much better than regular Legacy's, but the Legacy's handle better. It would be sweet if you got it lifted though!!

Well anything has to ride better then the Legacy as is, Damn thing hops sideways going over bumps on a curve! Wee!!! :lol: