Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '95 Legacy: Trashwagon10

TheLoyale

On the topic of exhaust, that is something I really need to do on TW10. The mid pipe flange has a pin hole where it meets the 2nd cat, as the cats flange is rotted all way.

What I'd like to do is:

Either get a new cat or eliminate the 2nd cat all together (Is that possible?)

Get a Duel Resonated Midpipe from a 2.5, or have one made.

Run it all open out to the rump roast end.

For shiz and gigz, if I walked into a tire/exhaust shop, and asked them to replicate my midpipe but with 2 resonators and a larger diameter pipe (2.25") what do you think that would cost out of standard exhaust tubing? Under $200? Cause then, I would either get a decent muffler like the Impreza guys run, or just do it straight open bumping the size from 2.25" to like 2.5 or 3".

Ideas, Thoughts, Rants? Lets have'em.

Exhaust pipe is really cheap. You'll probably spend $40 on pipe max.

Personally I wouldn't run no muffler... that's going to be REALLY loud and super obnoxious. Having had the muffler rust off enough of those... I can say that from experience.

I lost the whole exhaust header back and had to keep driving an hour like that. I had to stop and buy ear plugs to make it home.

I saw a video on youtube where the guy had an ej22 and he posted an exhaust and running video. I emailed him and asked what he had done. He said he removed the 2nd cat and strait piped it but still had the muffler on. The short answer is it sounded awsome and had that growl to it. Not overbearing like it is with no muffler. When he stepped into it thats when you really heard it, but it idle it was pretty tame.

Thats also another nice thing about Flat engines, they are always quiet at idle (Unlike an I4)

Mine has a nice slow rumble at idle, really quiet. I think I have a video somewhere...?

Edit:

Here are the video(s)

but it idle it was pretty tame.

I dunno if I want the hassle of eliminating the cat, as I would need to get the pipe made, add a bung for the O2 sensor and then see if I throw any new codes. Plus like Scott said, it'll probably be hard to get a shop to do the work I demand. Although, Waterford Jon probably knows someone with a mandrel bender (I can weld the flanges)

What I'd really like to acquire, would be the sound of a WRX, that real deep lumpiness. But I don't know if that can come out of a SOHC EJ22 since all WRXs are DOHC.

I dunno if I want the hassle of eliminating the cat, as I would need to get the pipe made, add a bung for the O2 sensor and then see if I throw any new codes. Plus like Scott said, it'll probably be hard to get a shop to do the work I demand. Although, Waterford Jon probably knows someone with a mandrel bender (I can weld the flanges)

What I'd really like to acquire, would be the sound of a WRX, that real deep lumpiness. But I don't know if that can come out of a SOHC EJ22 since all WRXs are DOHC.

DOHC doesn't really have much to do about it. It's the un-equal length header. My EL header on the ej22 sounds like a honda, my GL has UEL headers and sounds really good without a muffler.

Too loud for me though, I like to be able to hear myself think...

The two piece lights use a different (better) bulb. So you need to put different connectors on your car wiring to plug into said bulbs.

And for whoever said it before, JDM projector lights are not glass. They're plastic.

Cool, and good to know about JDMs as plastic too

Superu, you will want to look for 1998-99 Lights, that were the only years they had two piece (96-97) had the single piece legacy style. Yes, like 987687 said, you will need to splice in the other connecter to the vehicle wiring. Its just a 9007 style. And yes, the 9007 bulbs are WAY better then the H4 bulbs.

I also agree with 987687, The projectors are plastic. Also, on the first gen Imp, they are plastic from what I have seen in the yards. Subaru did away with the Glass housings when they stop production of the EA82.

Will add 98-99 OB illumination to my "next mod' list thx for the beta!! :headbang:

And yeah, my wife;s 93 impreza base model had glass lenses and was waay brighter with a better beam pattern than my 95 legacy...

4574906269_b73d3f276d_z.jpg

I know that the RS in some years around 2000 has glass lights. I can't be specific because I don't know the exact details. But I have a friend who used to have (I think) a 2001 RS with glass lights stock.

again,. out old 93 had glass and our 03 OBS is plastic, :shrug::-\

I saw a video on youtube where the guy had an ej22 and he posted an exhaust and running video. I emailed him and asked what he had done. He said he removed the 2nd cat and strait piped it but still had the muffler on. The short answer is it sounded awsome and had that growl to it. Not overbearing like it is with no muffler. When he stepped into it thats when you really heard it, but it idle it was pretty tame.

but how is the low end?

I deleted both cats (and upsized pipe to 2.25" thru a cherry bomb as a resonator and a magnaflow, SUPER LOUD with that setup) and lost ALL low end, replaced the cats ( and kept 2.25" cat back with the same cherry bomb and mangaflow) and the low end came back. . . FWIW

It sounds good (there are some youtube videos of the tone, here's one

but superu and moab should get you there) with this setup, but I digress :cool: Edited by superu

I run without a muffler right now, its not very loud, has a nice growl. Although I can agree with running open head, its gonna be loud, plus you lost a lot of bottom end.

Good to know about cost, this might just be the way I go!

LOL last time I ran with no headers is when I put on my UEL headers.. damn did the car sound like a beast and that was an EJ22 lol

Exhaust pipe is really cheap. You'll probably spend $40 on pipe max.

Personally I wouldn't run no muffler... that's going to be REALLY loud and super obnoxious. Having had the muffler rust off enough of those... I can say that from experience.

I lost the whole exhaust header back and had to keep driving an hour like that. I had to stop and buy ear plugs to make it home.

well I'm already running without a muffler now.. $40 to get pipe and have it bent?

The pipe is pretty straight there. You can just cut the flange out and rust off either side. Go to the auto parts store and get an exhaust coupler and some exhaust clamps. Just make it one piece. I prefer welding it, but if you don't have a welder this is a fine approach too you can do yourself.

I'd have to get some picture how it broke it pretty much snapped flush with the flange.. I heard it maybe about 4 days before it snapped I thought it was the gasket because I saw the marks where the exhaust gas was going so anyways I take off from a light pretty slow and it got louder and also the sound of me dragging the pipe lol

DOHC doesn't really have much to do about it. It's the un-equal length header. My EL header on the ej22 sounds like a honda, my GL has UEL headers and sounds really good without a muffler.

Too loud for me though, I like to be able to hear myself think...

I still got my stock headers on my outback I did not take the headers from my 95 legacy after being totaled because with the motor pushed sideways a little I'm for sure thinking the headers got bent as well?

Anyways I have a cat converter that I picked up on rockauto. it was for the other car... BUT I might put it on the outback I punched out some of the stuff inside to make it a bit high flow but I don't know if I can still pass emissions with it.. I wont know until that time comes.

Right now i need a damn transmission LOL for a transmission that's had a hard life like this (seller let it run dry) which killed the bearings and 5th gear. I'm amazed I've put over 5K on it in this condition.. the first few weeks I had it the seal did not want to keep the oil in but now it's solid lol.

I just gotta get a used one because running at like 4500 on the highway at 75 is not cool.

I did find out 4th tops out around 115 Mph in 4th.

I snagged This and a Digital Clock for $10 at the local pick'n pull! Both are out of a mid-80s 2-door Pajero (Aka Dodge Raider) They actually had both bodies there!

This will soon be in the legacy, I am going to try and use the Voltmeter and Oil Gauge (How would one go about using a analog oil gauge on the EJ22? As these only have an idiot light)

2012_0106AA.jpg

2012_0106AB.jpg

2012_0106AD.jpg

2012_0106AF.jpg

2012_0106AG.jpg

2012_0106AH.jpg

Three ways:

1: Replace the idiot light and put an adapter in the port to feed the line to the gauge.

2: There's another port at the back of the engine near the PCV port - with an adapter, you can then plumb the gauge.

3: Get a filter sandwich adapter and feed the guage from there. This also gives you the option to add an oil temp gauge too. This is what I did.